Stage Gulch Oregon robbery cache(s?)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I have found mention of 2 robberies of Overland stage near Stage Gulch in Umatilla County, Oregon. One occurred about 1880, the other shortly after 1900.

The later cache has apparently been recovered. The two felons were apprehended, served time in the Oregon State Prison. In exchange for a reduced sentence, they told where they had hidden their loot near Meacham, Oregon. Umatilla County Sheriff Tillman (Til) D. Taylor recovered this cache for the stage company. While one source says only $1800 in gold was taken, another suggests it was closer to $18,000. Either amount is possible, considering the shipments of gold being extracted at that time and passing through this area. As Taylor served from 1902 to 1920 when he was shot and killed (see The Murder of Til Taylor), his recovery of gold from Meacham has to be the 1900-era robbery.

That still leaves the 1880 robbery though.

May 3, 2016
Umatilla county, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been researching this legend. I live in Pendleton and i am going to be pursuing this treasure hunt. Do you live close by? Looking for interested partners.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I live in Portland. Land of the weird, home of the homeless. You may have heard of it?

Sorry, OregonBornTrainFanatic. While I do get over into that area sometimes, it is usually only when I have something specific to find. BTW, you may want to look for a largish meteorite in Southeastern Washington. I kind of hope to go after this one shortly, after finding the largest meteorite currently known. Have exact date of fall, eyewitness accounts, etc.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Good suggestion, but nope. The meteorite I'm speaking about landed in the 1800's, and was found shortly thereafter. At that time there was no market or importance placed on meteorites. The stone was found by a cowboy out searching for it. Probably within 5-6 miles of where it was observed making a God-awful racket overhead. While the fall was seen, the canyons in this area prevented an actual siting of the fall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions