• zzzzzzzzzzzzzz3.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz3.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,462

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
And to think the trailhead is a mere 14 or 15 miles from me. YEP I'll be the wildman o' the woods now. LOL
~Nash~

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
There is suppose to be some of these in the museum. I think it would be cool to find one. Do you have much luck on the beaches???? We live in Lincoln City, found a few things, large arrowhead on the lake but time is too short, work 6 days 24 hrs manage motel, like to fish too. found a few coins around the park area and in my backyard. good hunting
blessings

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
Hey, check out this website for the beeswax shipwreck. Some was found as early as 1993- sounds like something that we all would love to find for history andthe joy of finding something like this.
My husband and I live in LC, looked around up there sometimes but never have found anything yet. Work manyhours but still keep plugging away.

blessings

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/news/oregonian/01/04/sc_41ship04.frame

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
didijim said:
Hey, check out this website for the beeswax shipwreck. Some was found as early as 1993- sounds like something that we all would love to find for history andthe joy of finding something like this.
My husband and I live in LC, looked around up there sometimes but never have found anything yet. Work manyhours but still keep plugging away.

blessings

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/news/oregonian/01/04/sc_41ship04.frame
Considering my proximity, this is really fascinating!!! Right up the road about ten minutes....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :o
~Nash~

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
Hey, thought you were in Portland?????

I have done some research on this, sounds really interesting. I would like to get ahold of the boys scout group that found some and see what's when's and how's of it./

I heard that there were artifacts in the 3 rocks area of Salmon River, I am only 10 min from there but haven't made it there yet. whoeeeeeees me

Maybe soon, my husband and I can get there.

blessings

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hey are we neighbors???????????? I am in Seaside not Portland.
If so, we must have a go at finding out some more about this and at least TRY to figure something out.

Tag lol

~Nash~

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Nash! Means you live close to this Neahkahnie Mt., and can work it. I have a question for ya. How big an area does this Mt. take up?
and does it have any streams or creeks coming off it?
I was in the Merchant Marines yrs ago and talked to an old salt that was from Oregon. He told me of a rock he found by a small stream in a wooded area. A rock big enough to climb upon and he sat on it. it had moss on it that his shoe kicked off enough that he saw that it was marked! He uncovered the mark and it was as I'll try to describe. = X, with a dot at each side and top, Bottom, = a line up and down with a dot on each side. Then at bottom of this was an arrow pointing left. Then on left side of the X was an arrow pointing up.
He didn't understand the mark and said he went back later and chopped the mark off rock so no one else would find it.
The mark may mean 35 feet one way, then 35 feet another. But it would be close to the creek? So you might walk the creeks there and look for a chopped up rock! Now you'll know what was posted there. Have Fun in your search.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Monk said:
Nash! Means you live close to this Neahkahnie Mt., and can work it. I have a question for ya. How big an area does this Mt. take up?
and does it have any streams or creeks coming off it?
I was in the Merchant Marines yrs ago and talked to an old salt that was from Oregon. He told me of a rock he found by a small stream in a wooded area. A rock big enough to climb upon and he sat on it. it had moss on it that his shoe kicked off enough that he saw that it was marked! He uncovered the mark and it was as I'll try to describe. = X, with a dot at each side and top, Bottom, = a line up and down with a dot on each side. Then at bottom of this was an arrow pointing left. Then on left side of the X was an arrow pointing up.
He didn't understand the mark and said he went back later and chopped the mark off rock so no one else would find it.
The mark may mean 35 feet one way, then 35 feet another. But it would be close to the creek? So you might walk the creeks there and look for a chopped up rock! Now you'll know what was posted there. Have Fun in your search.

ABSOLUTELY SUPERB INFORMATION!!!! Do you think I might be able to get you to draw what he described to you???? There are a lot of creeks on and around the mountain....Then again I spend a lot of time in the outdoors. Bank on the fact that I WILL be searching this mountain beginning within the next month. My plan is to view it from the Ocean and the air as it is today and take pics.

I simply cannot thank you enough!

~Nash~

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Getting a Garrett ACE 250 Real Soon
So if you are interested in checking up on the story here are some sites to check out. I did a little research on this subject a few years ago when we were having our beach cabin built in Manzanita.

http://nagagroup.org/BeesWax/team/team.htm
http://www.captainrick.com/Beeswaxwreck.htm

There have been many stories about this and many people have searched for the treasure that is apperantly burried in the mountain. Some of the stories have run together, and some are just made up.

Since you live in Seaside it might be worth a trip to Wheeler. There is a bookstore there (I can't remember the name of it, but will be going this weekend to the cabin for a little Ghost Hole fishin' and I will get the name of it for you.) and the owner has done some very extensive research on not only the Neahkahinie treasure, but also the Beeswax wreck that is near the mouth of the Nehalem river. This is the only spanish Gallion believed to be wrecked near Neahkahnie. But this may they did a little sonar work and discovered that there werer 5 shipwrecks near the mouth of the river.

Unfortunately My ACE 250 has not been purchased yet :'( :(. It would be a good weekend to MD that area with the seas being as rough as they have been. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions. I might be able to help.

Andy

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if you need help im new on here but do a bit of detecting myself.
as a matter of fact i just ordered like 12 of them for rentals for the beach bumms in taft.
would like to hook up and do some hunting.
Rick.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
potters divers guide has a bit of info on it -- old book but good

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
So I just found out that the bookstore in Wheeler moved to Manzanita. It is called Ekahni Books. It is right on the main drag of Manzanita. I don't remember if it is the owner, or a spouse of the owner, who has done all of the research, but he is very willing to share his info. I also found a great oregon website that has thousands of old pics. Some of which have to do with the shipwreck. This weekend I spent a lot of time on the web looking for info, and there is a lot out there.
Here is a pic to mabey get people motivated. This is an aritfact found on the beach years ago. It looks like a conqestidors ax head.

I also found out about another wreck that happened there in 1913 that might still have a few relics left behind. It is a British ship "Glenesslin" on the rocks of Neahkahnie Mountain on the coast of Oregon, 1913.

I really need to get my detector.
Oh yeah. No Salmon for me this last trip. They must not be biting yet. :'(

Attachments

• Nehalem Artifact.jpg
    Nehalem Artifact.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,205
  • The Glenesslin at Neahkahnie mtn.  1913.jpg
    The Glenesslin at Neahkahnie mtn. 1913.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,542

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother was raised near this treasure and she said the treasure was found when she was a kid
some guy drilled down where it was to be and got shavings of gold on his drilling tool
and some human bones.
there was supposed to be an article in one of the papers on it.
and she said it stated that the treasure was too deep and not worth moving a mountain to get at.
just a story i dont know if its true or not.

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
There are some great Oregon treasure books out there. The ones that I have read seem to all hint at the fact that there have been so many differant versions of the story no one knows what really happened. Also just to clarify for anyone interested: The Neahkahnie Mtn. treasure and the Beeswax incident are two seperate entities. I have been compiling info on the Nealem and Manzanita area lately and I have heard of yet another story about a hidden treasure that is up the Nehalem river a ways, as well as a possible pirates cache hidden in a cave along the cliffs of Neahkahnie Mtn.
My personal opinion is that the Neahkahnie treasure was never found. Due to the fact that we still have very educated hunters looking for it.
all in all I feel that there is something to be found in that area ;D

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Just to throw my two cents in about Manila galleon wrecks, I found my San Augustin beeswax about 2.5 miles from where it probably came up from being trapped under a layer of sand. The debris area for the San Augustin is about 5 miles wide, streaching I think generally from where I found a large hull board made of Lanang, to where I found a beeswax chunk, part of a deadeye, and a coroded maravedis coin. In between this area is a strip of beach that has a lot of pieces of teak and lanang wood strewn about it, and a decayed deadeye or two.

If the San Francisco Xavier was right there on the beach, there would be a lot more to see than what has been found. Instead of a few pieces of china plate, there would be hundreds of pieces from the plates that were broken. These ships usually carried 5 to 20 thousand plates, and even the San Augustin, which was a relatively small Manila galleon, had about 3 to 5 thousand pieces of china on it. This ship would also have had cannons, and lots of laquerwork, ivory, silks, cottons, worked siver, spices, worked iron, wood work such as lapdesks and furniture, and all kinds of other oriental products. You guys would see a lot more variety of junk laying around there.

I recall a book I saw on Pacific coast wrecks, and it stated with a picture that there were several wrecks out on that spit.

I know with the San Augustin, after you spend a little time out on the beach, you get a sense of where it is, or at least where pieces of it are at.

A lot of the weapons and tools used on these ships were of pacific manufacture. You wouldn't necessarily see a coquistador's halaberd on one of these ships. I believe a Malaysian pike tip was found when they did a partial excavation of the San Augustin. You would expect to find a bunch of the arab-influenced bronze MVS cannons from it too. You might find Japanese matchlocks and samurai swords.

Even if the Spanish survivors carried off all the worked gold, there would literally be 5 to 6 truckloads of stuff just sitting there. Why aren't there hundreds or thousands of pieces of Chinese trade pottery turning up all over the place in Oregon and Washington for sale? The Miwoks who lived at Point Reyes collected a couple hundred pieces of broken pottery that washed up from the San Augustin, and now Point Reyes has over 700 pieces of the stuff.

There were at least 5 Manila Galleons that got wrecked after they cleared Saipan. I think one burned and one disappeared in a storm. The San Felipe's crew all died and the ship grounded off Ensenada, on the Baja Peninsula, where it was finally destroyed later by a storm. In the mid 1700's, another ship suffered some pestilence and was found floating off the coast of Mexico with all the people aboard it dead.

I get the feeling that the ship is not there on that beach, but probably close by. All the info about this wreck is very clouded and speculative.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have hunted the beaches near there and found a few things very interesting.With all the modernization nothing is going to be close to when it really took place.Mil-Hunter ,would you be willing to share the old pictures in Orregon website.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Name: mil-hunter
Position: Jr. Member - Next Posting Level (Full Member) in 58 posts.
Date Registered: Nov 17, 2005, 01:59:59 PM
Last Active: Nov 30, 2007, 07:44:38 PM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread