Horsethief meadows

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hmmm....haven't heard of that one, I will have to look into that and see what its all about. How long have you been researching it?

Mike

OP
OP
J

Jollygreen

Greenie
Oct 11, 2017
Hoodriver oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, ATX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story has been around a long time. There are some facts to back it up. It all happened in the late 1800's. Robbers had a cabin at Horsethief meadows where they would hold up after jobs. Hince were the name came from. Also close by is several other camps with names like Robin hood, little John, and Sherwood. All stemming from the areas known outlaw history. Anyway in the 1920's a group was form to find the cabin and recover the stolen loot. There is information that confirms that after 2 years of searching the group did locate the cabin. There however is no mention of recovered gold. But it does verify that the cabin and loot were real. I have spoke with local residents who logged that area in the1980's. They tell of finding a musket grown into a tree and of a really run down cabin that was destroyed while logging. Now, let's hold on a bit. Was it the same cabin? That's a head scratcher. Hard to say. I did locate with my detector a metal pipe buried in a stream that was designed to feed somthing. It was located in the right area to for the cabin that the logger told me about. Still a leap to say it was the same one found in the 20's. But often cabins in those years were repaired by different people over time.
Let me know what you turn up.

The truth is out there.
JG.

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story has been around a long time. There are some facts to back it up. It all happened in the late 1800's. Robbers had a cabin at Horsethief meadows where they would hold up after jobs. Hince were the name came from. Also close by is several other camps with names like Robin hood, little John, and Sherwood. All stemming from the areas known outlaw history. Anyway in the 1920's a group was form to find the cabin and recover the stolen loot. There is information that confirms that after 2 years of searching the group did locate the cabin. There however is no mention of recovered gold. But it does verify that the cabin and loot were real. I have spoke with local residents who logged that area in the1980's. They tell of finding a musket grown into a tree and of a really run down cabin that was destroyed while logging. Now, let's hold on a bit. Was it the same cabin? That's a head scratcher. Hard to say. I did locate with my detector a metal pipe buried in a stream that was designed to feed somthing. It was located in the right area to for the cabin that the logger told me about. Still a leap to say it was the same one found in the 20's. But often cabins in those years were repaired by different people over time.

The truth is out there.
JG

The truth is out there.
JG.
I know this is old but maybe some people might have more info.

I have been up a couple times looking for the cabin. Just randomly. All I found was some color in the stream that feeds the meadow when I panned it.

If you know which way the wind blows through the area they would build the cabins on the side of the valleys with the least amount of wind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread