T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only gold mine I know of is the "speed trap" in and out of Oakridge!! The cops make a bucket full of money on unsuspecting motorists!!:censored:

redmud

Oct 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved to Oakridge, I asked some of the older locals around town about gold in the area and so far the consensus is that if there is gold in the area its to the south.

ethanmckinley10

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anybody know of any good places to metal detect in west linn oregon and/or oregon city? You don't have to give all your hotspots away i would just like a couple suggestion spots.
Thanks for the help,
Ethan

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the local parks and swimming areas at the lakes in the area.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And so the trail of the tale just fades out... ?

KHydSAR

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2020
Astoria, OR
Detector(s) used
MineLab XTERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And so the trail of the tale just fades out... ?

Do they ever really until they're found? The story as I heard it has a couple additional hints not listed here, but who knows if they are valid. I was told the cabin was short, wide, and well disguised by its environment. As someone said above, it was 3 sided, and the 4th wall was provided by a rock face it was built up against. It was supposedly situated in a well protected (hidden) ravine where two ridges ran together at a right angle. I always assumed it was north of Oakridge, due to being told the woman wandered into Lowell after she escaped, but didn't have much luck matching up landmarks. As it happens, however there are a few very apparent ravines situated where two ridges run together at about a right angle between Oakridge and Roseburg. Maybe I'll take a second look at this one.

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mine is located SE of Oakridge, and "Two horse sweats" NW of either Diamond Lake or Lemolo Lake.

A horse sweats when it climbs, so I'm assuming the mine is two ridges from Diamond or Lemolo.

The vein is on the side of a hill above a waterfall, which is covered in moss.

KHydSAR

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2020
Astoria, OR
Detector(s) used
MineLab XTERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mine is located SE of Oakridge, and "Two horse sweats" NW of either Diamond Lake or Lemolo Lake.

A horse sweats when it climbs, so I'm assuming the mine is two ridges from Diamond or Lemolo.

The vein is on the side of a hill above a waterfall, which is covered in moss.

Well damn this is the first new information I've seen on this one! New is good in my opinion, shows it's not just a rehashing of the dime store legend with extra embellishments. Definitely warrants some attention. Thank you Phil!

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That information has been in my family for many, many, many, years and to my knowledge never shared.

The other piece of information is...........There is a reason the area is called "Steamboat" so don't waste too much time looking for it unless your only interest is history.

Oct 28, 2021
The old man’s name was Patrick Asbery Bailey. The mine is 3 miles from Bristol Prairie. Just inside Lane county. In the Umpqua national forest. Lots more clues but those seem productive. There is a book written by Florence Whitted called “I saw the gold”. This woman personally knew the man. This is the most you will find in the way of clues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread