Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: OREGON LOST TREASURE.....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2005
    DIGGIN' IN NEVADA

OREGON LOST TREASURE.....

HEY YALL I AM LOOKING FOR INFO ON ANY OREGON LOST TREASURE.....OR EVEN OLD FORT SITES...ESPECIALLY BOTH OF THE FORT UMPQUAS...IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO THEY ARE WILLING TO SHARE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...
    THANKS AND KEEP SWINGIN
    LONE GUNMAN
    AINT NOTHIN LIKE HUNTING IN NEVADA

puna66killer

Re: OREGON LOST TREASURE.....

I have been looking for info about the Lost Frenchmen mine That is suppose to be located in the mountains around Oakridge, OR. The story goes like this 2 Frenchmen found a mine in the mountains and worked it for 3 years bringing the gold down in the fall and spending the winter in the Bay area. The last year they came up from Calf. they came through K-Falls picking up a Indian women that was to do the cooking and cleaning. They abused her so she ran away and encountering Captain Sprague of the US Army Company F. He wouldn't go after the the two frenchmen. The Indian went back to her tribe and her brother the chief set out with several bucks. After several days they found the miners killing them. The chief put a curse on the mine that no one was to state where it was located. The chief out lived the seven bucks.
    A man in Oakridge was suppose to have found it in 1960 but didn't claim it. He would brag about the mine at the bar giving away large nuggets to prove that he wasn't lying. This man went to his grave not give up the location not even to his children.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    85 times

I'll be searching for that one this summer as a matter of fact, although I don't think the two are connected. They may be, though.

The way I heard the story on the Oakridge fella was this...

He would hike in making sure he wasn't followed and work for a few days, then return with a good poke of gold. Generally gone for about 2 weeks. As he got older, he had a helicoptor pilot drop off his gear for him, and would always backtrack and check to make sure he wasn't followed. He never did reveal the location to his children stating that they should make their own way. The whole story may be a fabrication, everything I have heard has nothing concrete to research. No name, no nothing. You would think that if he had been showing his gold around for so long, at least there would be a name attached to the story!

I have a lot of info on the two frenchmen, but not much more than this on the Oakridge fella.

puna66killer

The Eugene Register Guard ran a two page story about this man in Oakridge about 15 to 18 years ago. Time frame is based on the house that I was living in at the time. I've gone to the Eugene public library and gone though the micro film files and still haven't located it. I was trying to see if anyone remembers the story and can narrow up the time line so I can locate the story. Or maybe some one remember the fellows name.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

I have a friend or two that lives up there and doesn't do dope (shocking, huh!?!) I'll poke around a bit and see what I can come up with, too.

Lets touch base on this-

Gone_Bananas

Hey, I live in Springfield, OR. I've read the story about the 2 Frenchmen mine. From what I remember about it, there is supposed to be an old cabin built from two large trees that had fallen, with the trees being used as two of the sides of the cabin. The lost mine is supposed to be within sight of the front of where the cabin used to be. Now, from what I remember, the cabin is around the Hills Creek reservoir area, maybe around the Camper's Flat area. Not sure. I would like to find out more about this myself, but I'm not sure how to find the newspaper article.

us
    Jul 2008
    1 times

hello

i live in dexter. a few miles from Oakridge. i have a friend whose grandpa used to drink with the fella. he is very real! what i have heard from many up there. is the fella would walk out of Oakridge. and would return in 3 1/2 days, not weeks. with a quart jar of gold. i always thought it was a jar of nuggets. but apparently a distant relative of the man is or was a member of a local mining club. one of the members of that club. states he has seen a copy of a picture of one of the jars. half of the gold was poured onto a piece of paper and the remaining half in the jar, placed next to it. i have been told that it was little curly-q's. where he scraped the gold from the vain. i have not seen the pic my self. but my friend with the grandpa, also said his grandpa has seen some of the gold. and he also confirms it was not nuggets. the miner had a sister in Roseburg. as his find gained attention we would walk to her place to avoid followers. that could be where the weeks long walks might have came from. i have talked with a couple of old timers with the Bohemia mine owners association. both said sometimes he would walk right up the Bohemia road. he started to draw up a map. but his two sons began arguing as to who would control the map. so dad tore it up, threw it in the fire and said "thats that". as careful as the old fella was about not being fallowed or found. i really doubt he would have any kind of a structure with in sight of the find. my friend has moved to Idaho. so i can't question him about his grandpa any more. i have some ideas, plus i have discovered a few more clues recently. but i am only 52. so my legs aren't ready to give up the search yet. i really feel like i am narrowing it down. one of these days i might share more. i also have a few other lost claims on the list. I'll post about them later.
    TRanegar36 likes this.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

Wow- been so long I forgot about this post. I did manage to find the article and he is very real, you are correct. Still hunting for the Frenchmen and not two days ago came across some info that leads me to believe it may not be anywhere in that area. Need to do some overlays to confirm. If it pans out, the Two Frenchmen may be nearer to the Rogue than the Bohemia area. My son and I are heading out camping this next weekend and if I have my overlays done we may give the new area a shot and see what comes.
    jtomlinson likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sharing the culture, history and adventure of the American Southwest.

Jun 2006
    Banning, California
    ace 250
    26 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
    For info on the following: Blue Bucket Mine, Cursed Treasure of Columbia City, Karl Meyer's Lost Cave of Gold, Man returns Treasure and a story for rockhounds go to

http://www.goldenmirages.com/index.php?board=97.0

Enjoy
    PLL

us
    Nov 2009
    oregon
    Fisher VLF 660 Mother Lode, Garret ACE 250 finally!

I have also heard stories about the lost frenchmen mine. The cabin I heard was a 3 sided cabin that the men had set up close to the mine. My father was telling me an interesting story that he heard from a man working with the forest service out of the Umqua forest that he and his crew were out doing a survey in the calapooya mountains and came across a 3 sided cabin. The supposedly called in the state archeologist because when they investigated the ruins of the cabin they found a bunch of old mining equipment. When my dad pressed him a little further about the location the guy clammed up and my Dad was not able to get any more info out of him. The relics that the archeologist supposedly recovered from there were supposed to go on display at the station there in glide, but he has never seen anything show up. Good luck getting any answers out of the Forest Service about it!

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

Thx for the update T- There are a few other interesting things currently at that museum that may be of interest to you. Ed Schieffelins journal? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Schieffelin

us
    Nov 2009
    oregon
    Fisher VLF 660 Mother Lode, Garret ACE 250 finally!

Hmmmm...... Thanks for the little hint. So is it really at a museum or in a ranger station display case somewhere? I would love to read that journal! Ahhhh Oregon.... so many unsolved mysteries

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    20 times

For a reference to where both Fort Umpqua's were, see McArthur's Oregon Geographical Names. It is in most libraries in Oregon.

Nov 2012

contact me please

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet T View Post
    Hmmmm...... Thanksr for the little hint. So is it really at a museum or in a ranger station display case somewhere? I would love to read that journal! Ahhhh Oregon.... so many unsolved mysteries
    ramsayjay60@yahoo.com

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    Whites Spectrum XLT
    7 times
    The old man from Oakridge's name was Bailey and the Helicopter dropped him at Bristol Prairie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors