jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daniel Boone, a legendary American frontiersman, was once quoted as saying, 'I ain't never been lost, but I may have been confused once or twice'. With all respect to Mr Boone - who was born in Pennsylvania, incidentally - it's incredibly easy to get lost and confused in the forests and mountains of Pennsylvania.

In the course of the state's 300-plus year recorded history, many people have gotten lost and confused. And they've lost plenty of things while stumbling around in the Pennsylvania woodlands - including a surprising amount of gold and silver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A536573

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Jeff,

I know you were at the plane crash site in Mount Carmel but have you ever searched for any of
these other lost treasures in PA?

Paul

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some explorations in Potter County with that Frenchmen story and barrels of gold in mind and detector in tow.

Gold was suppose to be "In the Valley of Boire"..I may mispelled that.

Anyhow...you talk about easily getting confused. I was in the Boire Valley and there are no rocks as big as a house there. So I think the area is recorded wrong. I think the description fits the Roulette area better with the Allegheny river being so narrow and shallow there, plus the rocks as big as a small house.

I detected around a few big rocks there but...as you can tell...I'm not rich yet. :-\

Al

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.B. and Dylan said:
Jeff,

I know you were at the plane crash site in Mount Carmel but have you ever searched for any of
these other lost treasures in PA?

Paul

Only on the Net ;D

With a Little Bit of Luck,
this Coming Spring
that will change.

Doing research on one close enough to consider Now

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Hope you haven't given up on that one yet Al. Back to researching? Good luck. That would be a heck of a find.

Good luck with your search Jeff. Maybe we'll get a good story sometime this year. I love the research but you get to the point where now you want to go out to dig, but it don't look like we'll be doing that anytime soon.

Paul

K

Kentucky Kache

I've BEEN lost. I STAY confused.

Just a note on D. Boone. Some people believe he was in KY looking for Swift's silver. I don't really think that's the case, but it would be kinda cool to find out he was a fellow treasure hunter.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
I've BEEN lost. I STAY confused.

Just a note on D. Boone. Some people believe he was in KY looking for Swift's silver. I don't really think that's the case, but it would be kinda cool to find out he was a fellow treasure hunter.

Intresting.

I Never Researched His Life that closely

I Know he was born Just south of me near Reading, PA

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now THAT was a great tv series... :thumbsup:

Don't forget..Davey...Davey Crockett...King of the Wild Frontier!!!

Thanks for that link...pretty interesting.
Al

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Jim Bowie ;D

B

Attachments

• 397.jpg
    397.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,400

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
And even though he died before I was born, I just caught a movie of ....Tom Mix

Tom Mix Comes Home Museum
Driftwood, Pennsylvania

The Tom Mix Comes Home Museum in Driftwood, is not in town (which doesn't care about Tom Mix) but out on a rural road where first the pavement ends, then the plumbing. The sign "Welcome To Tom Mix Territory," gives no hint of the miles and miles of rutted road you'll have left to travel.

The big attraction here -- for Tom Mix fans -- is his birthplace. The big attraction for Roadsiders is Tom Mix's celebrity outhouse. The Flaughs, the museum's husband and wife owners, though well-meaning are occasionally desperate for company and are black holes of Mix trivia; you can't escape their well-rehearsed ad-libbing. They will talk to you about every single photo, clipping, and collectable in the small Museum. As you wander around the property, large black flies will attack you.

In order to build a monument on the site, the Flaughs sell square inches of the land for $10. Ronald Reagan bought ten square inches, and the Flaughs give out Xeroxes of his $100 check to all visitors. Reagan marked it as a contribution, so taxpayers actually paid roughly $40 of it. Over his square inch is a sign reading, "The President Of The United States Owns This Lot." When the monument is built, RR will be listed as #1 -- though he wrote his check in 1986 and there's still no monument.

Tom Mix's Outhouse:
Address: Mix Run Rd, Driftwood, PA [Show Map]
Directions: Tom Mix Comes Home Museum. From Driftwood, take Hwy 555 west from Hwy 120 for about a half-mile. Turn south onto Castle Garden Rd, cross the bridge, then left onto River Rd, which becomes Hoover Rd. Then turn right onto Mix Run Rd. Continue bearing right on Mix Run Rd, following the creek, dodging ruts and potholes as the pavement ends, for about four miles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread