The Legend of Braddocks Gold

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Re: The Legend of Braddock's Gold

Local history here has Braddock travelling from Circleville thru present day White Oak ( a community part of the McKeesport school district), passing Sampson's Mill & setting up their last camp before the battle near the Penn State-McKeesport campus here in Renziehausen(Renzie) Park. In fact for many years a historical plaque stood on this site proclaiming this the site of Braddock's camp. And the road leading from it down to the river is called Camp Street. They would have had to turn south(left) on what is now part of 5th Ave. because of it being the only passable flatland leading to the Mon. river. Then they would have crossed the river into present day Duquesne & then down river to recross below Turtle Creek. In those days Turtle Creek emptied into the Mon river at least a half mile further downriver than it's present course. This creek was re-routed further up-river due to the expansion of the US Steel plant- Edgar Thompson. Hope this helps.

qbvision

May 23, 2011

I know almost exactly where Braddocks Gold is. A friend of mines great grandfather stumbled across it in the late 60's but left it there cause it was illegal to own gold or gold bullion at the time. I have found wagon wheels, old leather straps, and lots of iron type material that I dont know what it is. I am certain braddocks gold is here. He proved it to me when he was talking about the terrain. Its been a few years, but after careful research and a compass I am pretty damn sure its there. Please email me at [email protected]. I am looking for someone experienced to help me on my hunt. I found the spring, and im pretty sure i found the trail that runs north and south. Theres also other things there i would rather not mention to give up the spot, but i am almost certain its here. It was proven to me that the gold is here...all I have to do is find it now. I found a camp, among lots of other artifacts.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

If you found the spring then that's one big piece of the puzzle but more so is the great grandad's
story. The story goes that the gold was inserted into the cannon barrels and corked.
So its possible that they had more gold left over which they also hid / buried with the cannons.

If you could find artifacts up there linked to Braddock then that's a great piece of history to discover
because many historians don't even believe Braddock was in that area.
This would be of great interest to the History Channel and scholars everywhere because
it could rewrite the history books.

Keep everything you found and document where you found it.
I would probably recommend contacting Finders Keepers Dennis Parada
who is working at the Dents Run site now.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.

Knowing this area quite well, I'm not so sure that after the attack & the frenzied retreat , that the troops now under Washington's command bothered to recross the Mon river. IMHO, I think they may have taken to the hills, heading back toward present day McKeesport (village of Queen Alliquippa) on the same side of the river. This would have taken them past the cabin of Frazier at where Turtle Creek 'then' emptied into the Mon river. The course of this creek has been altered due to the expansion of the Edgar Thomson steel works (USS). We'll never know what lies under the old villages of Port Perry, Hamburg or along the original course of Turtle Creek where Frazier's cabin once stood.
It is all now buried by Carnagie's first steel mill.

Dave500

Apr 10, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing this area quite well, I'm not so sure that after the attack & the frenzied retreat , that the troops now under Washington's command bothered to recross the Mon river. IMHO, I think they may have taken to the hills, heading back toward present day McKeesport (village of Queen Alliquippa) on the same side of the river. This would have taken them past the cabin of Frazier at where Turtle Creek 'then' emptied into the Mon river. The course of this creek has been altered due to the expansion of the Edgar Thomson steel works (USS). We'll never know what lies under the old villages of Port Perry, Hamburg or along the original course of Turtle Creek where Frazier's cabin once stood.
It is all now buried by Carnagie's first steel mill.

I, too, know this area very well.

Your theory that some remnants of Braddock's army retreated on the north side of the Mon.
past Frazier's cabin and then re-crossed the river in the vicinity of what would become Port Perry
or continued further up river - to present day McKeesport - is quite plausible.

Dave

warhunt

Sep 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know almost exactly where Braddocks Gold is. A friend of mines great grandfather stumbled across it in the late 60's but left it there cause it was illegal to own gold or gold bullion at the time. I have found wagon wheels, old leather straps, and lots of iron type material that I dont know what it is. I am certain braddocks gold is here. He proved it to me when he was talking about the terrain. Its been a few years, but after careful research and a compass I am pretty damn sure its there. Please email me at [email protected]. I am looking for someone experienced to help me on my hunt. I found the spring, and im pretty sure i found the trail that runs north and south. Theres also other things there i would rather not mention to give up the spot, but i am almost certain its here. It was proven to me that the gold is here...all I have to do is find it now. I found a camp, among lots of other artifacts.

Are you still lookin for any help on the hunt i have found some intresting pieces of the puzzle i hunt in the area and know some of the terrain very well .

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Are you still lookin for any help on the hunt i have found some intresting pieces of the puzzle i hunt in the area and know some of the terrain very well .

I helped him hunt some of the area in question. We came up emtpy handed that day, but there is much area yet to be searched. I tried contacting him earlier this year to see if he wanted to try again, but got no response. Maybe he actually found it? I may head back there next year sometime to search again.

qbvision

May 23, 2011
hey

I helped him hunt some of the area in question. We came up emtpy handed that day, but there is much area yet to be searched. I tried contacting him earlier this year to see if he wanted to try again, but got no response. Maybe he actually found it? I may head back there next year sometime to search again.

call me please. I have more info and Im really really close. 724.208.7633

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Braddock's gold was captured by the Indians that were helping the French. They all had gold coins. This is testified to by the French Officers that the Indians got most of Braddock's Gold. The Commandant said his officers could not get the Indians to give up their found fortune. Although he was able to trade and barter some from the Indians. This gold of Braddock's and the pay chest and plunder of Fort Duquesne was later send out before the next battle into Ohio. That is where you will find some of Braddock's Gold. The Indians got most of it.

That could very well be, but keep in mind that Dunbar was separated from the main force due to the cannons and other supplies he was in charge of. The main force retreated back to Dunbar's camp, where excess stores and ammunition were destroyed. It does not make sense to me that the gold would be with the main force. Also, there was a cache from Braddock's campaign discovered in Chalkhill along the retreat route. There was no gold, but it is very possible it was kept with them as long as possible before it was decided to bury it.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
The Dunbar idea is more credible. However, I've read of indians scattering coins at the battle site. Cannot remember if that was contained in a primary account. There is another angle to the whole thing... that of the French gold removed from the Fort when it eventually fell. There is the Ohio legend. Also, an angle followed up by a friend of mine that took part of the valuables from the fort down the Ohio river where they were deposited temporarily (ending up permanently) at a trading post.

Spellmaniac

Greenie
Sep 13, 2022
I would love to be of help. I'm able bodied and have great metal detecting equipment. You can reach me at [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread