Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PENNSYLVANIA?S LOST

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none

Re: PENNSYLVANIA?S LOST

Hello All,

I've researched this story for many years; the details are interesting. Francis Scully picked up on a newspaper story from the 1950's about Blackbeard's treasure cave in McKean County that was highly embellished and further distorted it making the story almost entirely worthless except for the fact that it made folks aware that perhaps a treasure was brought to the area. I've hunted treasure for nearly 50 years as a hobby and have found more than my fair share I suppose. Examine the facts of the story as it is related on the Internet.
    Last edited by TreasureWriter; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Sep 2004
    Where ever my coffee cup lands
    Fisher 1280X
    1 times

TreasureWriter! I agree with you and all you say I've gave thought to also. I myself wouldn't give any time to this story. Except a good friend of mine was one of those crazy treasure hunters who had to go for this one. He and a friend of his went into the Pa. woods there to have a go at it and he told me that he and his friend did find these silver bars. And I was close enough to him to know he did try to find it again. He didn't lay up any marks to find it again the 1'st time he found it and couldn't return to the same place again. He spent the rest of his life and many trips there trying to find it. I believe that both these men were sure of what they were looking at. In fact he had me go over with him several time to have a go. At this time I'd have to put this legend out of mind and go with what these fellows saw!!! My brother and a friend went there this last year for a look and he didn't get to were he wanted to be even though he'd been there many times before? He may get a chance to go at it again next year. There is one place we have to check out before we turn our info over to other hunters. Again my only interist is what my friends claim they saw, with that I can add no more. GOOD LUCK!
    Life is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be lived.

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    138 times

It is kind of hard to believe that someone would find silver bars and not take at least one of them out of the woods with him.

us
    Feb 2009

I'd have taken all I can carry.Even if my pants fell down every couple of steps.

Sep 2004
    Fisher 1280X
    1 times

Yes fellows! I asked my friend this question several times and all he'd do is look at me with a red face and *****, more at himself then me. He thought he could find the place again so didn't place up any monuments to led him to it again. But he and the fellow with him saw the bars and he said they were the 70/80 lbs. size stacked like cord wood. I ask how can 2 fellows be mistaken about that! I know he spent the rest of his days looking to find it again every chance he got. Later.

us
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I'd be kicking myself too. Hope he/youns finds it.

Sep 2004
    Fisher 1280X
    1 times

TreasureWriter! I reread your post and see where you say a BLACKBEARD TREASURE CAVE! I never told anyone this before. But that is where the bars were found by my friends. (A CAVE) A wagon could be driven near the top of it where a hole was located and the bars droped down to the floor of cave and stacked. So that's what your looking for fellows. If there is any truth to the story my friend told me, and I believe there is! That will even back up their story. Only I won't tell just where he was looking and I found a cave there. (but haven't been inside yet) Till I can get back and check the cave out. That will be my secret. Do know when I was over there with my friend looking, he didn't mention a cave that was his secret. I didn't put that together till sometime later, he always refurd to a hidden vally. This may add light on the legend. Maybe someday someone will find it, Will it be you?

mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none

Hello All,

This treasure does stir the imagination. The term "cave" was actually referred to by Shoemaker in his 1950's news article entitled "Treasure Cave a McKean County Mystery".
    Last edited by TreasureWriter; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none

I went to Gardeau this week to do some photography. Parker's Tomb was easy to find but I couldn't locate the old Parker Sanitarium.
    Last edited by TreasureWriter; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none

I don't think the treasure is there.
    Last edited by TreasureWriter; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:04 PM.

mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none

This search is heating up with some of the guys talking about getting a group together to search Gardeau. There's plenty of areas and cellar holes to search at this location. There were lots of homes and commercial businesses. I located some old photographs of Gardeau including the Parker Mineral Sanitarium! The locals swear that this treasure is still there. Notice how the mountains were just stripped of all timber. It's all grown back today. I did find the exact location of the Sizerville mineral spring just before Gardeau. I have an assortment of photos of Gardeau that should aid in locating the Parker Hotel and other buildings and have leads on other nearby ghost towns.
    Last edited by TreasureWriter; Sep 02, 2012 at 10:54 PM.

ca
    Nov 2011
    Higher-North-Shore Qc.
    Garret Ace 350
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Have bookmarked this, always find treasure hunting stories most interesting and entertaining, thanks.

us
    Oct 2011
    Chester County pa
    25 times
    Metal Detecting, Cache Hunting ,And addto our History

Those pics are amazing......WOW

mx
    Nov 2011
    55 times
    none

I found the source of this treasure story quite a while ago. It was printed in the History of McKean County published in 1890. Henry Shoemaker picked up on the story from this book and published his article "Treasure Cave is McKean County Mystery" in 1950. Francis Scully simply reprinted Shoemaker's story.
    Last edited by TreasureWriter; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Sep 2004
    Fisher 1280X
    1 times

Treasure Hunter, This is a very good report and thanks. You did your research. If there is any silver buried there in a cave this make the most logic I've heard. I had a friend that found some small silver bars there and financed his move to California years ago. Likely some of the larger bars were taken out of the stash and remelted down to smaller bars for sale? As they had no smelting marks on them. So whom ever should find these bars again will have to be very quite about it, as to find them will be one thing, but to keep them will be another. Plus if I think I need someone there to work with I'll keep you in mind. Thanks again for your report.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors