Alladins Cave at Boone Mt, Clearfield Co.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alladin's Cave at Boone Mt, Clearfield Co.

Alladin's Cave on Boone Mountain has been a long time mystery, many have looked for it. In this news article it states that Captian Lewis left a treasure inside . We plan to set out in Sep 2009 to try to locate the cave . We don't think there is anything inside that is of great value, but there should be something there from the Lewis gang and this is what we are looking for. The Clearfield Historical Soc. gave me this news paper clip and wanted us to check it out. Boone Mt. is 18 miles long and is on state land . Thank You

Attachments

• boone1.jpg
    boone1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • boone2.jpg
    boone2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,145

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Re: Alladin's Cave at Boone Mt, Clearfield Co.

Did you find the cave?

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No we didn't look for it yet, this is a big area. We think it is some place close to the Boy Scout camp in Mountain Run. It would be on the steep side of a mountain. The best time to locate it would be during the winter with a heat seaking hand held unit. The air coming out of the cave would show up against the snow. But to walk up and down that mountain would take me years to do. We located the Hickory Kingdon grave yard and it is close to the area. Boone Mountain is 18 miles long and I would start near the Boy scout camp first and go east to Pennfield but stay on the south side of the mountain. Good Luck

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000

I currently have no intention of searching for this cave. I was just curious if you had found it yet...

orion024

Jan 4, 2010

FinderKeeper said:
Alladin's Cave on Boone Mountain has been a long time mystery, many have looked for it. In this news article it states that Captian Lewis left a treasure inside . We plan to set out in Sep 2009 to try to locate the cave . We don't think there is anything inside that is of great value, but there should be something there from the Lewis gang and this is what we are looking for. The Clearfield Historical Soc. gave me this news paper clip and wanted us to check it out. Boone Mt. is 18 miles long and is on state land . Any info will be of great help. Thank You
"We don't think there is anything inside that is of great value"
Lewis secluded over 3 cache of $10,000+ in coinage @ the time he hid them before July 3, 1820! That would not be considered a great value too you?? :icon_scratch: What would be a great value then?? If you ever want to go look for it, I'm in!

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK , Let me put it this way, If the story above is true then the treasure is gone. It says so in the story. So I would think there is no treasure at this cave but yes their could be some at other caves he was in. But I think there are artifacts inside and that alone would be the treasure. We are working with the Discovery Channel on doing some Treasure Hunting shows and if all goes good this is one I would like to do. It would cost lots of money to locate the cave and if I could get them to pay for it then yes we will look for it this winter. With a infer red gun and a chopper :headbang:
Orion I will get back to you if we do this and yes we could do this together. :hello2: can you fly a chopper :icon_scratch:

orion024

Jan 4, 2010

You don't need a chopper to find a cave! All you really need is boots on the ground and some knowledge on how and what your looking for! I think it might be easier than you think!! :icon_sunny:

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007

thats interesting.......as i understand it Hickory Kingdom is what is today called Sabula. Now, id like to see this cemetery you guys found. Mind tellin me where its located at. thanx. btw im always up on boone mnt, weather hunting or lookin around w/ the minelab at old foundations.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check this out. The road from Hickory School is Hickory Rd. and it runs towards Rt. 255. Were Hickory runs into Diamond St. you can see a cemetary called Bundy Cemetary and we had a another map that showed Hickory Kingdom Cem. is in this area to. When I locate the map with the proof on it I will post it.

Attachments

• Hickory map.jpg
    Hickory map.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 886
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007

thats in indiana county tho. nowhere near boone mnt

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ya, Its not near Boone Mt. but there is no proof that Hickory Kingdom was near Boone Mt. In the news story above it says that 2 Dubois Business Men were in town for 2 weeks. Now that would fit the story better than two Dubois Business Men staying in Subula area for two weeks :dontknow: Subula is only a few miles from Dubois. I am going to research this more because the name of the cemetery is the same of the town. BYE

UPDATE Jan 27, 11 I found the proof that Hickory Kingdom was in the Dubois area and not in Indiana County. Its just luck that there is a cemetery with that name and it works for the 2 business men but in the story that Clearfield Historical Soc. gave me tells of the 2 cemeterys in the area and this is the proof that shows it was near Boone Mt. We plan to run a LIDAR scan of the area as soon as the snow melts.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No new updates. The best way to locate the cave is during winter with snow on the ground. The cave has to be on the side of the mountain facing south so if someone has a infred hand held unit of somekind I would think this would faster and safer . The heat from the cave would show up easy on a cold day. I am sure this cave does exist , its just in a place were no ones walks every day. This would make a great find. There is a cave club in Pa. and they have the locations of all of the caves in Pa. but you have to be a member to get a hold of the list. There are lots of caves in the DuBois area. They do not like treasure hunters that dig in caves so I don't blame them. Or maybe DCNR has the location but you would have to kiss a-ss to get info from them. A local fire company would have the infred unit needed. I been busy all summer at Dent's Run and had no time to check this out yet, but if we get our TV series on the Discovery Channel this summer then yes I will check it out. BYE

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Boone Mountain is a big place. Go to the 4 way intersection in Pennfield and take a left up over the mountain. There's also an old CCC camp site in Pennfield as well. I actually live almost within walking distance of it and have a friend that lives on Boone Mountain. Hiking would be difficult in some areas. It is very steep and rocky. The ferns grow very thick and seeing a cave entrance will be difficult. Few animal trails. If you're looking for this one take a cell phone and a GPS; it's easy to get all turned around in these woods with miles to a road or house. I've been there and thought I might be spending the night once. (no cell phone or GPS) and I used to hold the record in the 70's at Indian Town Gap for Orienteering. So play it safe on this mountain because it's square miles of uninhabited area of steep hills and boulders. I'll have to ask my buddy about caves. I've seen plenty of what I call "bear caves" but no real cave complex. Yep keep an eye out for bears, coyotes and snakes as well; they're all up there. If anyone is interested in hiking around up there, I'm up for the adventure.

Just Curious FinderKeeper, what makes you believe that the cave is on the south side of the mountain? Sometimes in the mornings when the air is cold you can see the vapor of the warmer air coming from a cave or sink hole like fog. Winter is the best time to look for caves because of the lack of vegetation however anything on Boone Mountain is going to be tough to find especially if the entrance is small.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi TW, Well this is just my theory , but Lewis hit the travelers from Pittsburg to Philadelphia and then it looks like he went North to each hide out and if someone was to hunt him down they would come from the South :icon_scratch:. I would think he would have all of his hide outs facing on the South side of a mountain but there would be a way up the mountain to get to the other side to ex cape. Water needs to be close by for the horses. Most of the bigger caves are at the bottom of a mountain because of running water and this one sounds big. Now this is just my thoughts but I would check out lower steep areas on the South side with a way to the top and water near by. Take a good look at a topo map and you may find some areas like I described :blob7:.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Good thinking FindersKeepers.
I did some poking around for ginseng this year. Didn't find any in my area. :( but at $400 a pound it would be like finding treasure! I think that in these logging areas once the trees were gone so was the ginseng and it never grew back.

My plan was to look for it on Boone Mountain next fall. I may try to do some snowmobiling there this Winter as well and some coyote hunting while keeping an eye out for caves. The Indians used to do a thing called ridge walking in the Winter to find cave openings. At times you can see fog rising from the openings because of the difference in temperature. To locate a cave or two would be a tremendous bonus especially if it held some Indian artifacts. I'd also like to find the old Bish settlement that's on the mountain somewhere. Winter is definitely the best time to search for this one and the mountain is almost just out my back door.

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007

Hello hello. ive been away for awhile but as ya can see, im typing ha ha. anyways, caves would be cool but dont know much bout them. BUT i did read here just now some1 wants 2 know where bish settlement is, um ive been there. there are 4 different foundations, a stone wall some rock piles oh and yes an old cemetery out there as well. theres also a tater cellar and some old water wells. if interested......... [email protected]

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Hello Redsummit,

Can you provide directions to Bish Settlement on Boone Mountain or at least a general location and landmarks? I'd like to photograph the place and get the GPS coordinates as well as any other old homesteads that you might have come across out there.

Thanks,

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this Aladdin's Cave?

I've been up on Boone Mountain quite a bit lately. We found a local cave recently but don't know if this is Aladdin's Cave it doesn't seem to be in the right area.:icon_scratch: It's far too dangerous to enter and there are signs of animals in it. I'm building a ROV to use to explore the cave further.
DSCF2785.JPG DSCF2784.JPG DSCF2787.JPG DSCF2786.JPG
I wouldn't get any closer because of snakes, animal tracks and potentially bats and falling rocks. Photo 3 is a second cave entrance or a different cave a down along the cliff. Photo 4 I tried to get a shot looking into the cave but was worried of the loose rocks. There is some water in the cave.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread