uniontown treasure lead

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
during the civil war. with union troops in close pursuit. confederate raiders hid 15 tons of silver bullion in a cave about 3 miles north of uniontown. in fayette county. the silver had been stolen while on its way to the mint in philidelphia

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think I have been to that cave many years ago. I was looking for the Jessi James loot stashed in the cave. The lower entrance is closed off. At the top of the hill is the present entrance. It is now a torrest attraction with a restraunt at the top. The driveway up is very steep. The owner let me look thru the cave for about an hour with one of his guides. I think I found everv electric wire in there. The place is huge. Some areas have never been explored. You look down on Union town from up there. I suspect that if anything is there, it is way down near the closed off lower end.

sniffitout

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2007
This treasure was found. It is well documented in various treasure magazines from the 80s. It is said the amount of silver was not 15 tones, but 115 tones. We will never know for sure unless we weigh it . There was a soil test done on one of the bars , there were only two places in the US of A where this type of soil is found , one is north of Uniontown , Pa. It is said the silver was found by a hunter, then moved to a "safe" place.
Laural Caverns is south west of Uniontown , by the way.
Matt Fayette county Pa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions