treasure lead in berks county, wernersville

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
OP
OP
PAPPYGOL

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
sorry buddy. thats all i have. maybe you can make a new friend or find someone who knows the landowner. good luck

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff I'm 25 min. from Wernersville. I know sharing to much info. is not very wise or productive, but you can PM me if you can figure out a way I can help you without you having to give up more info. than you care to. I'll help as little or as much as you'd like.

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm 15 mins from Wernersville. Its funny because I just did my wife's geneology and her ancestors are the Kricks who are shown on the map. Don't know who lives there now. I did research on Doane many years ago when I lived in Bucks County. He had many hideouts along the Delaware River. I never did find any of his stash. Like I said in a previous post, I'm laid off with time to kill so if you need help let me know.

Don
Reading, PA

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know of another site of a possible Doane gang cache. This one in Monocacy. One of the caught gang members told investigators a list of sites where Moses Doane buried loot. He always buried it alone while the members waited nearby. Anyway, in 1901 a group of treasure hunters searched this land in Monocacy with no luck, or so they said anyway. I'm trying to find the land on current maps right now.

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I can't seem to find the other piece of land where a Doane cache might still be. In 1901 it was owned by a Charles Tracey in Monocacy which would be in Exeter Twpshp near Birdsboro. Couldn't locate him in the census. :dontknow:

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I have read accounts of this treasure and was interested since it was the only treasure tale I've ever
seen from Berks county. The story I read just said Wernersville and that leaves quite a large area.
Great job on the research Jeff. I wish you the best on finding this.
I also recall something about the treasure being guarded by the ghosts of witches so make sure
your out of there before midnight. :o

texaslisa

Sep 24, 2011
I live around the area on the map,have a forest in my back yard. The Bugays are relatives of mine.

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
texaslisa said:
I live around the area on the map,have a forest in my back yard. The Bugays are relatives of mine.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from Jeff, if you haven't already.

Although I think Jeff already found this and has a room filled with gold coins and swims through them like Scrooge McDuck. ;D

mikhen

Jan 11, 2011
Oley, Berks County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In the 1770’s, the Captain Doane outlaw gang of Tories looted and terrorized the settlers of Burks, Lancaster and Lebanon counties, accumulating a huge store of money, jewelry and other valuables. In 1777, the farmers in this region formed a group of vigilantes and surrounded the gang in Indian Gap near Wernersville and wiped them out. The vast treasure hoard from their many years of looting has never been found. 6A). Many researchers believe one of their caches, $100,000 in gold coins, and other valuables, remains buried near the site of their capture at Indian Gap

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Reports have the gang surrounded so it sounds like they knew where they were camped in the gap? Where in the gap? Henson in (Guide to Treasure in PA) has it near Wernersville. The Reading Eagle places it somewhere in the foothills between Wernersville and Robesonia. If its in the foothills then I'm thinking its most likely a feature that stands out like near a cliff or in a cave? Are there any reports of caves in that area?

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I went up there two times this past year to survey the area. There is a narrow gap on sportsman road which is off the 422. Travelling South on sportsman road will take you into this gap. There is a stream running through the gap. According to the map, this gap separates Wernersville from Robesonia zip codes. The gap is pretty steep on both sides and there is a grade as you continue into it. The soil is rocky. If this is indeed the gap, you're not getting out of it if you are caught in the middle.

Attachments

• sportsman_road.png
    sportsman_road.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 26

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting