Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what its worth....

I am aware of a modern looking stone marker in the middle of the woods along one of Bedford County's ridgelines that mentions Davy Lewis... Its been a quite a few years since I've seen it, but can remember something on it about him hiding money in the area.

If I get a chance over the next few weeks, I'll try to get up to the spot and get a picture of it.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the marker I mentioned the other day.... The best way to describe its location is to say its in Somerset County near the border with Bedford County. Its near virtually nothing.

Attachments

• Lewis Spring.jpg
    Lewis Spring.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,336

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
The box has been recovered from Indian Caverns in the area of the old mill. Unfortunately it was bottomless and had to be cut out from the side of the tree root so it did not come out intact. Nothing was in it except rocks and beveled glass. I have pictures of it I can download on this post later on. The owner let me inside to metal detect and it turned up an interesting finding. Near the new main entrance there is a spot that rings in the gold and silver range like you wouldn't believe. The owner mentioned to me that in Lewis' day that area was just a corner to that cave room. I asked him if there would have been any old wiring in that spot and he knew that there wasn't. It's quite possible that he could have seen the mill workers coming in and out of the mill from that corner. The old entrance which was through a door in the gift shop has collapsed a bit so there is stones laying all over the bottom of the floor there. All the old wiring was run through that area and the new was patched in through there. He mentioned that the door at the new entrance was not the original, the original was made of iron. But even if the door was buried under the concrete near the new entrance to the cave it would not read in the gold and silver range. The owner is interested in investigating this abnormality further, but before we start hand cracking into this thick concrete, he wants better assurance of what is under there. He has me looking into other options such as sonar or magnetometers, something that can give us a printout of the shape of what is under there. I have posted elsewhere about the need for help in finding something to rent that can tell us a little more. If anyone has some ideas feel free to send me mail on this site. We are both concerned with the vibrations that digging into the concrete would create and possible damage to the cave's structure. If it is his loot, it is worth millions due to the fact that the coins from that time period are now quite rare. If I have repeated some things from previous posts here, I apologize, it's been a while since I've posted on this thread.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is a possability of Junk Metal used as Rebar
when they put the cement down so you want to be more sure.

Silver & Gold are alot different Frequencies

& Large Iron can fool all detectors.

Very Intresting where it is though.

Good Luck !

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
The concrete runs the whole length of the floor in the cave there were readings where old wiring was, but the area in question had the detector really screaming. Most areas didn't give a reading at all, positive it isn't Rebar. Yes, Silver and Gold are different frequencies entirely, that's what's strange about it and makes you wonder. It is interesting where it is Jeff, that's why I'm asking for suggestions on finding out if I can find a way to see what the object's shape is before digging. If it looks like coins we're going down for it.

bstimely21

Jan 13, 2009
LEWISTOWN PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett PinPointer
Hi Jeff, i am a 22 year old from central pa who is a big local history buff and ambitious treasure hunter, i notice your username alot when looking for info on the web, but my question is this, I live in the lewistown area and was wondering if you have any possible info you would be willing to share on the possibly hidden loot along the Juniata River, I have been researching this specific cache for almost three years and any possible info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bstimely21 said:
Hi Jeff, i am a 22 year old from central pa who is a big local history buff and ambitious treasure hunter, i notice your username alot when looking for info on the web, but my question is this, I live in the lewistown area and was wondering if you have any possible info you would be willing to share on the possibly hidden loot along the Juniata River, I have been researching this specific cache for almost three years and any possible info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff!

Welcome to TreasureNet bstimely21

Sorry all I have on this Is the One Paragraph from his Confession

!CONF.jpg

bstimely21

Jan 13, 2009
LEWISTOWN PA
Detector(s) used
Lewis mentions "a very large sum of money in notes...". I'm a little confused, every where i have read has said basically, $10,000 in gold coins. I read notes and think pieces of paper within an alligator skin envelope. So was it coins or was it paper?

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Stimely, The loot in the confession is paper under a rock in the Juniata. He went back for it and it was under the water, or so he thought. Paper over time is worthless. Indian Caverns hole clad $1.03 unknown Nickel Dates and Dime Dates was $1.05 today in the hole, people have thrown things in for years. Underground is uncharted territory. But, in August, at the dryest time the next tunnel down there will be dry. We will go on down. Draw the maps from the hole under the stairs. Exellent day, no digging, no detecting, just top soil pay dirt. ~Shelly. Wanna go on a 1909 Hawstone Train Robbery trail tour????? Talked to the guy and his niece who was one of the three who found some of it....your hometown area :read2: :notworthy:

bstimely21

Jan 13, 2009
LEWISTOWN PA
Detector(s) used
i have read up on a lot about the hawstone 1909 penny robbery. I actually recently found a newspaper article nine pages long in great detail. I actually was able to narrow spot down to where to it happened. Message me back and i can let you know i did this exactly and where it is ;D I would love to go on a hunt and see if they missed anything, i have been researching alot this winter and finding starting points for this spring. let me know!!!

bmsecrest

Aug 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. New to the treasure hunting life and have been sucker in full force. I've been reading on robber lewis and had a question. In one statement it says that he died in his cell in bellefonte and the other in a cell in lock haven. Which is it? To me it would make more sense to be in lock haven for the fact that the river from driftwood flows right to it. As to regards to the cache that was buried "within walking distance from the jail". If it is in fact bellefonte, the jail at the time would be in the back of the ymca parking lot. He also mentioned that he could see where he buried it from his cell. If it is the lock haven jail, would that be Clinton County jail? If so the only real visible spots from there would be the mountains facing the front and rear of the building. If anyone knows for sure of the exact jail this would greatly help me out thank you all in advance

Explorer123

Jan 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I’m new here. So can we just do a quick outline of what we know so far? If I find it I will negotiate a share for the people of the thread.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread