jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AFTER HIDDEN TREASURES; AN INDIAN TRADITION OF THE SHOHOLA GLEN. A CAVE IN WHICH UNTOLD MINERAL WEALTH IS SAID TO BE CONCEALED--STORIES BY AN OLD SETTLER.

published March 28, 1886, Wednesday

SHOHOLA GLEN, Penn., March 27.--"If I could find the entrance to a cave that all the old residents of this part of the Delaware Valley firmly believe lies in under the mountain somewhere between the foot and head of Shohola Glen, I wouldn't ask to be Jay Gould's heir," said Valentine Hipsman, Supervisor, and for 40 ...

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9D0CE1DF163AE033A2575BC2A9659C94679FD7CF

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LastScanee.jpg

Dec 26, 2006
jersey
Detector(s) used
MXT
My folks live in this area and I have swam in Shohola creek as a teenager. There are some pretty sheer cliffs to traverse and it's probably best to repel from the top of the gorge down to conserve energy. I've found a few mini caves in the cliffs but nothing on the scale described here. If that old Indian sealed the entrances over a hundred years ago, he must have used rocks that were at least small enough for 1 man to lift. I'll be going back before the summer ends and try to scope it out again. :icon_thumright:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its kind of hard to believe that no one has found this cave yet after
several hundred+ years?

Dec 26, 2006
jersey
Detector(s) used
MXT
Have sniped many a sheer cliff face in this area hoping to not only find the cave but maybe some native gold. Has anyone had any luck finding even the smallest flecks of gold in this area or the Poconos in general for that matter?

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was in communications with a man who lives in shohola and he's been looking for that cave his whole life. Now he takes his son up there with him looking and metal detecting. He's found some stuff up there I'm sure but he naturally won't say what? Anyway in all his years looking for the cave he found a grotto that he believes to be the entrance but it dead ends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread