Pocono Indian Treasure

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Located records tell of an Indian princess who first made this story public. Her name was Nemanie, and she probably the last survivor of the Paupacken Indian tribe, a branch of the peaceful Delaware Indians.
She confided the story to a local white man and his family who had befriended her after her husband, chief of the Paupacken Indians, was killed in a battle along with most of his warriors against hostile New York Indians. After the battle, the survivors gathered their goods and fled into the forest or joined other friendly local tribes. Before leaving the area, they buried a cache of valuables, consisting of gold and silver ornaments, weapons, beads, and other items they considered precious.
The site is in the Wallenpaupack Valley, near Hawley, on the Pike-Wayne County line. Some people recently narrowed down the search area believing the cache is just off Route 506 between the villages of Tafton and Paupack in the Pocono Mountains. The fate of Princess Nemanie and the few survivors of the tribe were lost long ago in the dust of time.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Were there ever any Indian artifacts at all found near these sites?
I'm thinking that their site probably would have been on a lake or river
in some open fields?
I could not find any information at all on her?

QuestSearcher

Aug 12, 2011
kudo623 said:
Were there ever any Indian artifacts at all found near these sites?
I'm thinking that their site probably would have been on a lake or river
in some open fields?
I could not find any information at all on her?

I've actually found more information, some of the info on this site aren't totally correct.. and I don't believe that there have been any artifacts found YET..

john tucker

Sep 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m from the Carbondale area looking for people to go metal detecting with would like to know more about the treasure at Lake Wallenpaupack also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread