Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
along the line between East Liverpool, OH. &
Midland PA there were alot of Gamblers, Bootleggers
and Illegal stills in the 1890's.

Supposedly over a Million Dollars came into the area
each year due to these.

Research the DUTCH ZELLNER GANG

and the possable Caches all along this area mentioned above.

Try the Library in Aliquippi & Historical Society if there,
for Newspaper articles & Histories.

=========

about a mile below the Big Beaver Creek.
for the 1756 French Trading post.
it was abandond 1763

======

Logstown was an indian Village 1727 - 1758

N.E. Ambridge.

General Anthony Wayne's army camped just nort of Ambridge
from 1792 to 1793
then moved west for the battle of Fallen Timbers.

=====

Fort Mcintosh U.S. Military post was where Beaver is

Years 1778 to 1791

=========
I'd try to Confirm This one
Maybe old Newspapers from 1878-79
or local Historical Writings

it is said :
the people of Old Economy in the 1800's were very strange.
They didn't trust anyone outside.
It is said they received $150,000.00 or more in
in Silver coins in the early 1800's .
However during the Civil War in 1863 when Morgan's confederate
Raiders headded for Pittsburg. The Elders Buried it all
on the old

"RAPPITE PROPERTY"

in 1878 a cache was unearthed in Economy

117,000 Bust Halfs before 1815
3,708 Silver Bust Dollars before 1804
400 bust Quarters 1818-1828
Face Value about $65,000.00

The rest was never found as far as is known.

!.jpg !!.jpg

Attachments

• !.jpg
    !.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 467
  • !!.jpg
    !!.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 397

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy newtothedig,

I used to live in Economy, now up in Natrona but soon to move back down to the N.Hills area.

You probably know that Old Economy Village is off limits. Historical site and all that stuff.

Don't know what kind of treasure hunting you do or how far you travel but there was a lost payroll in Bagdad, Pa. Just a small article in a book about it. Scroll down through the posts on Pa and you'll see my reference. It's in the Kiski river if you have any diving equipment...lol

Lot's of good detecting sites around you...just gotta look. Old Economy Park has that snow shovel race every year. People been sled riding down that hill since the early 50's. I lived right across the street from it and only tried detecting it once with a really old machine. Lots of minerals in that ground.

Welcome to the hobby.
Al

H

Hardscrabble

You might consider searching local, state and national archives. Much if not all is catalogued and accessible online. While some material is conveniently missing, most is there.

Take some of what has been suggested here and follow up. But, most importantly, it's not too difficult to perform your own basic research so do it. Local histories and newspaper accounts are a good place to start, but always think outside the box. Recently, sonmeone was telling me about a "UFO" that crashed on his grandfather's farm in WV - he wants my partner and I to survey the property to find the pieces. Well, I don't know about UFO's, but meteorites are worth big bucks. See what I mean?

The moonshine/prohibition connection is interesting. I am aware of a large cache elsewhere in Ohio that is prohibition related - backed by solid archival evidence. But, that one has taken a tremendous amount of research (effort, time, money to pin down). Still (no pun intended), what was there in the 1920's/'30's) may be long gone. Untimely moonshiner deaths or not, there are no guarrantees. I only mention it here as an example to encourage you.

Bottom line, 99.9% of the time nothing comes easy. Take everything with a grain of salt - separate the romance of treasure hunting from the cold, hard facts. Enjoy the road not just the destination. And, when you find a cache... never, ever breathe a word of what you find.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread