F35E3613-BB55-40AD-8D25-5F857F2BDBF8.jpeg
I did give this item to a few over the years so I will post it
:laughing7:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every article that mentions what they found includes animal traps. Why would a shipment of gold include animal traps. I have detected animal traps near that area. I guess that means I found the gold!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... from Scully, replying to my father that his stories are true to fact ....

Oh sure. They're all based on and built around facts. Eg.: Real names, dates, places, and events. All of which, perhaps, you can go back and look up and verify. The trouble is, that if the notion of there being a treasure is mere speculation, then it will not matter whether the other 99% of the story is "true to fact ".

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did give this item to a few over the years so I will post it

This newspaper has added new information if it is not made up? But it says the Lt.'s name was James Castleton. Then Mr. Jack Schall with credentials as being on the staff at Penn State Environmental Resource Research Institute, claims he has Lt. James Castleton Diary. Now where is that diary? If the diary can be proven and Mr. Jack Schall has not made up the whole thing, this would prove the gold of Dent's Run would be based on Facts. Also in this newspaper article the gold bars has been increased from 26 to 52 making the treasure worth two times more. But first we need to verify Lt. James Castleton's Diary. Anyone out there know this Jack Schall? I have contacted Penn State and they could not verify that he taught there in 2002. Where is this Jack Schall and do you have Lt. James Castleton's Diary?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I know him and have discussed the diary with him. He told me he obtained a copy from the war dept. he calls me on occasion.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Franklin I've not see the diary but am familiar with its contents. I was more involved in this search than I'd now care to admit. Investigating other things here in Arizona

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I am trying to do is to find something that will validate the story. I have not seen anything at all except tales handed down and newspaper and other tales printed by magazines. But I have not seen anything that can actually be called definite proof of an authentic treasure. Nothing on the soldiers serving in the Union Army? Nothing of any of their trials or military trials? Nothing in the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion? No stores printed in newspapers or anywhere else before 1963 or 1965? Surely with so many treasure hunters that have looked for this treasure, surely some of them had to have some document to authentic the treasure as a REAL TREASURE. I may never get up towards Pennsylvania anytime soon, but I would at least like to know whether the story is true or not. I talked to a reference librarian in PA. He said sure the treasure story is true. I asked him did he have anything to verify his statement and he told me NO. So does anyone have anything?

Even Finder's Keepers, they said they had a map. Have a map and still not find any treasure? Does not seem right?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Franklin treasure hunters are a secretive bunch. They don't share. Unless you have info they want. Then some will trade. They cover their tracks and have been known to remove or destroy records to keep others from finding them. Dig deep enough and you may find overlooked info.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Franklin, regarding your post #329 and Sgtfda's post #330 :

This is a perfect object lesson in the Treasure in how the faithful crowd process this logic . It goes like this:

1) someone makes a legend, or Campfire story, about a treasure.

2) someone else (like you), says " where's the proof?"

3) the faithful point you to the legend itself as the proof.

4) so the skeptic tries to point out the weak spots and holes in the Legend.

5) the faithful now merely have to show you some far-fetched remote contingency on which the various individuals salacious details *could* still be possible.

6) which is exactly what happened in #330: You had pointed out that : Certainly all these people wouldn't be looking for it, if they didn't have proof. But the faithful point out that the Iron-clad proof is indeed there. Except that those faithful Hunters are simply unwilling to tell you their sources. But rest assured, it exists.

7) and since you can't Disprove #6, then the faithful claim victory (ie.: the story is Ironclad true), and you are made to feel like you have lost the debate.

8) see how this is backwards? It's putting the burden of proof on us to disprove it. Rather than the faithful to prove it.

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone was to make a TV program about subject matter like this, these threads are a gold mine of real context from those that are familiar with t hunting.both views are represented well in my opinion.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. The other day I was talking to a friend and he pulled this out of his shirt sleeve and smiled.

Attachments

• 1521748385652.jpg
    1521748385652.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 129

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Loco you never know. I posted photos of gold I was finding on TNet. Ended up with a History Chanel TV show. That is another story. After you find lots of gold and end up being a TV celebrity it opens doors.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The amount of gold bars changed to 50 after the diary surfaced. Look at that logically. That is a lot of weight to haul out on mules. So either that amount is not correct or they buried most of them. It's not easy to travel in those mountains. Treasure stories grow as they are retold. Look at Watlz in the lost Dutchman story. He had $5000 in gold under his bed. Stories started and then it's a mine with millions. In this case I know there was a abandoned wagon. 2 gold bars found. Gun parts and skeletons at the ambush site close to where the gold was found. All match the story. I could not find anything to back up the rest of the story. Jack claims he found a stone engraved with the Lt's name and a diary. I've not seen either. If the stone exists he hid it. I don't know what happened up there but something did. 2 gold bars found in a remote area. Where did they come from? Is there more? I did not find them and believe me I searched every square inch of that area over the years.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
The biggest problem with this treasure legend is that there are no military records for the named officers during the Civil War. It is as if they never existed...

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
The amount of gold bars changed to 50 after the diary surfaced. Look at that logically. That is a lot of weight to haul out on mules. So either that amount is not correct or they buried most of them. It's not easy to travel in those mountains. Treasure stories grow as they are retold. Look at Watlz in the lost Dutchman story. He had $5000 in gold under his bed. Stories started and then it's a mine with millions. In this case I know there was a abandoned wagon. 2 gold bars found. Gun parts and skeletons at the ambush site close to where the gold was found. All match the story. I could not find anything to back up the rest of the story. Jack claims he found a stone engraved with the Lt's name and a diary. I've not seen either. If the stone exists he hid it. I don't know what happened up there but something did. 2 gold bars found in a remote area. Where did they come from? Is there more? I did not find them and believe me I searched every square inch of that area over the years.
sgtfda, were you ever able to verify the Pinkerton claims?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Exactly and I looked. I have some connections and it's a total blank. I still have a problem with the huge team the FBI sent up there. I've never seen a response like that in my 33 years in law enforcement. I use to process their crime scenes. I don't care what anyone says there is something up with that. I know how they operate.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the response throws me, I have worked with the phmc on many projects, and to get the go ahead on them is not easy, even when the state is going to destroy a known historical, or prehistoric site it takes many eyes on a site to verify, and then authorize, just saying,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread