Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: dents run treasure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2921 times

Re: dents run treasure

Finder Keeper, I thought you were thru when you hit water at 8'!

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    201 times

I suspect Finderskeepers was referring to Connor's first name. I have noticed lately that some of the previous posts have been disappearing from this thread for some reason.

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    201 times

Starsplitter,
    Thanks for the advice. Believe me, it really doesn't matter to me what Connor's name was or how it may be spelled. If any of that kind of information would help in locating any gold, it would have been found long ago.

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

I would like to conduct a vote on whether this actually happened or not! If you think it did: REPLY YES If you think it didn't: REPLY NO

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2921 times

From all that I have seen on site and read I would say that there is a possibility that this happened although I have not uncovered a single historical record of the event. I believe that it was used as a tourist draw at one time. I believe that Schall blew the story up, wheather it was true or not, for publicity for a book he was going to write. The area in question has changed dramatically. A RR was built over the bell draft trail forever changing any clues. The area was logged changing it futher. If anything is found, it will be because of 90% LUCK! The only things that I have found there are old train parts.
    How about maybe Orion?

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

Let me flip a coin! The coin is double-sided and I still can't make out whether it's heads or tails!

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2921 times

Let me start out with IF this story is true I would suggest that the Bell Draft trail would have been the trail to use. I have seen it on old maps, so I know it existed. It shows up very well on present day lidar maps which probably means it is an old trail. It would appear to be the shortest distance. If you look at a contour map you would see that the wagons would never make it up that hill from Hicks Run so it should be obvious that they were headed NE when they were abandoned. This is the big bug in this story! Were they taken NE from the attack site to hide them? The big question would be when was the gold removed? At 50# per bar, I don't think it wouldn't have moved far from that point! The problem is the more I think about it, the more the puzzle parts don't fit!

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    2921 times

The last" confermed" location was St Marys. At the time there were two basic choices, The trail that is Rt.255 & the trail that is Rt.120. They were ordered to stay North[ of driftwood I assume] so that rules out 255. Following 120 full length to Driftwood would have been to long and time consuming. I think they headed out of St.Marys on 120 but cut off at the trail just past Goetz summit which still exist today. This trail splits and formes the Dents Run Trail & the Bell Draft Trail. Both of these trails follow streams that were required in those days. The problem with the Dents run trail is that it was to damp for wagons. The Bell Draft on the other hand supplies both water proper contour and firm ground. That is why it was used for the logging RR route years later. The attack site is on the Bell Draft trail also. It is also the site of the Logging Camp later on. This all fits into place, except the wagon location. Any ideas anyone??

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

Where exactly is the so called "wagon location"? Is it in the swamp or on the ridge?

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

Just when the gettin is good, everyone got quiet and quit, It is funny how this post got hotter than hell, and then all of sudden it got colder than ice!!

us
    Sep 2010
    southeast PA
    CTX3030
    66 times

Quote Originally Posted by infidelsaint
    $664,000.43.
    that wouldn't even buy one gold bar if the bars weighed 50 lb.
    down and dirty

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

Hi Ya All: 50 lbs ignots = $1,046,800.00 a piece (26 * 50lbs)= 1300 lbs
    $1,046,800.00 * 26= $27,216,800 for all 26 bars!

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

Hi, 50lbs Troy= 600 oz. Troy
    600 oz. Troy *26 Ignots = 15,600 oz. Troy
    15,600 oz. Troy converts to 17,115.428571 oz.
    17,115.428571 oz. paydirt * todays recent price per oz. is $1,307.60= :0) $22,380,133.00 :0)
    But $22 million compared to $27 million, whether which measurement unit it was, is completely irrelevant.

us
    Jan 2010
    1 times

Great suggestion maybe returning little in exchange for great effort! Characterized by chronic poverty and hardship should be required on this thread!!

us
    outlaw

Jun 2007
    tremont,pa.
    white, & dowsing rod's (divining rod)
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by sgtfda
    We don't know but I would say his bones were one of the skeletons found by the survey crew. The survey crew hid the bone's and removed thinks found on the ground. They knew of the incident and did not report ithe skeletons right away so they could look for the gold. This occured in 1876. What happened to Sgt. O' Rourke is a question also.

it's true; the survey crew found two sheleton's when they were surveying the elk and cameron county line. and found two bars of gold in their saddle bags. they had a couple of helpers and had to report the finding's. the bandits had a share in the ambush. and the guide received his share of at least two bars. also he hid his share and it is nowere near the dent 's run site. how come it taken him two months to reach lock haven
    i love my country; but fear my government.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links