dents run treasure

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Let me start out with IF this story is true I would suggest that the Bell Draft trail would have been the trail to use. I have seen it on old maps, so I know it existed. It shows up very well on present day lidar maps which probably means it is an old trail. It would appear to be the shortest distance. If you look at a contour map you would see that the wagons would never make it up that hill from Hicks Run so it should be obvious that they were headed NE when they were abandoned. This is the big bug in this story! Were they taken NE from the attack site to hide them? The big question would be when was the gold removed? At 50# per bar, I don't think it wouldn't have moved far from that point! The problem is the more I think about it, the more the puzzle parts don't fit!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The last" confermed" location was St Marys. At the time there were two basic choices, The trail that is Rt.255 & the trail that is Rt.120. They were ordered to stay North[ of driftwood I assume] so that rules out 255. Following 120 full length to Driftwood would have been to long and time consuming. I think they headed out of St.Marys on 120 but cut off at the trail just past Goetz summit which still exist today. This trail splits and formes the Dents Run Trail & the Bell Draft Trail. Both of these trails follow streams that were required in those days. The problem with the Dents run trail is that it was to damp for wagons. The Bell Draft on the other hand supplies both water proper contour and firm ground. That is why it was used for the logging RR route years later. The attack site is on the Bell Draft trail also. It is also the site of the Logging Camp later on. This all fits into place, except the wagon location. Any ideas anyone??

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Just when the gettin is good, :-X everyone got quiet and quit, :icon_scratch: It is funny how this post got hotter than hell, and then all of sudden it got colder than ice!! :headbang:

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Hi Ya All: 50 lbs ignots = $1,046,800.00 a piece (26 * 50lbs)= 1300 lbs
$1,046,800.00 * 26= $27,216,800 for all 26 bars! :o :icon_sunny:

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Hi, 50lbs Troy= 600 oz. Troy
600 oz. Troy *26 Ignots = 15,600 oz. Troy
15,600 oz. Troy converts to 17,115.428571 oz.
17,115.428571 oz. paydirt * todays recent price per oz. is $1,307.60= :0) $22,380,133.00 :0)
But $22 million compared to $27 million, whether which measurement unit it was, is completely irrelevant. :icon_thumright:

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Great suggestion maybe returning little in exchange for great effort! Characterized by chronic poverty and hardship should be required on this thread!! ::)

coalminer

Jun 7, 2007
tremont,pa.
Detector(s) used
white, & dowsing rod's (divining rod)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgtfda said:
We don't know but I would say his bones were one of the skeletons found by the survey crew. The survey crew hid the bone's and removed thinks found on the ground. They knew of the incident and did not report ithe skeletons right away so they could look for the gold. This occured in 1876. What happened to Sgt. O' Rourke is a question also.

it's true; the survey crew found two sheleton's when they were surveying the elk and cameron county line. and found two bars of gold in their saddle bags. they had a couple of helpers and had to report the finding's. the bandits had a share in the ambush. and the guide received his share of at least two bars. also he hid his share and it is nowere near the dent 's run site. how come it taken him two months to reach lock haven???

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Hardscrabble,
OK , You ask me to show proof that this lost gold story was true and you ask for 1 pc. of proof. Not 2 or 3 but I will send you some info that I do not want posted on this site. All I ask is that you post your thoughts on the info that I am sending you. I am sure this will show proof of this story to be real. Thank You

Update
I sent Hardscrabble copy's of Civil War records that showed Connor's was in the army at the times the story talks about and I sent the medical records to show he was wounded in a battle down south , and his discharge papers that show he was out by the time the wagon train was ready to take off. Then I sent the proof that shows he was put back into service and sent out west. All of the dates fit the story.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
sounds like another "decoded" episode for the history channel
good luck i hope this has a better ending than most of their shows

H

Hardscrabble

Reference my evidential challenge to FinderKeeper...

First, I have never met or spoken to Mr. Prada or any of his FinderKeeper associates. Neither, while I undertand the game, do I have reason to mislead or misinform anyone. I am just one more lover of history and the romance of treasure hunting.

Now it is my turn to eat crow over the "story" of Dent's Run. The evidence FinderKeeper was kind enough to share with me while not conclusive in and of itself, is undoubtedly compelling. It is the best I've ever seen to support the legend. It is genuine. It is primary. It is indisputable. It, combined with other data privately alluded to leaves no doubt that something very significant did occur near Dent's Run in the spring of 1863.

Mr. Prada, I actually have a grin on my face as I type this... I applaud you! If anyone is going to strike gold at Dent's Run, it will (deservedly so), be you. Thank you for sharing your adventure!

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to thank Hardscrabble for a honest post.

Hardscrabble said:
Reference my evidential challenge to FinderKeeper...

First, I have never met or spoken to Mr. Prada or any of his FinderKeeper associates. Neither, while I undertand the game, do I have reason to mislead or misinform anyone. I am just one more lover of history and the romance of treasure hunting.

Now it is my turn to eat crow over the "story" of Dent's Run. The evidence FinderKeeper was kind enough to share with me while not conclusive in and of itself, is undoubtedly compelling. It is the best I've ever seen to support the legend. It is genuine. It is primary. It is indisputable. It, combined with other data privately alluded to leaves no doubt that something very significant did occur near Dent's Run in the spring of 1863.

Mr. Prada, I actually have a grin on my face as I type this... I applaud you! If anyone is going to strike gold at Dent's Run, it will (deservedly so), be you. Thank you for sharing your adventure!

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
sgt.
I have been following your posts since day one. Keep hoping i will get time to get over there and do some foot work on this one. You have done some very good research on this. I hope you find what you are looking for in Arizona.
Happy Trails and best to ya.
Clayton

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Is the Bell Draft road a dead end road? If I go north west off of rt. 555 on the Dents Run road keep right at a Y onto Bell Draft. It also looks like the Dents Run road turns into Forest road then dead ends also.
Thanks

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Sarge,
Thank you much for the info. My mapquest shows dead end and my google earth shows horseshoeing around then back south to dents run. Just wanted to get a feel of the area before I go there.
Enjoy that nice weather down there. At least the rattlesnakes aren't out up here yet.
Happy Trails
Clayton

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
i Think They Need To Step Up On a 4 Way 25 % Deal
Finder / US Gov / Schools / Museums
And Or 50 % To Owners Over Seas And 25 / 25 US Gov And US Finders

Thats A Fair Deal All The Way Around
Maybe They Deal On That If Presented To Them ?

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
They don't make a deal with you.
It's their way or none
They have all the ace's
Best to just keep them out of the deal
I'm just an old cowboy with some uncommon sense

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread