dents run treasure - Page 20
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Like Tree349Likes

Thread: dents run treasure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    3658 times
    See
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1521515403788.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1566780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1521515422237.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	1566781  
    simonds likes this.

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    3658 times
    I don't recall. The Elk or Cameron co history.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10047 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfda View Post
    See
    According to your post # 285: The "county history" ? When I saw your post, I thought there would be some history forthcoming. But .... it seems like the same legend type stuff of the 1970's treasure-lore genre . A lot of the "... It has been said that...." and fill-in-the-blank type stuff.

What is the source of those assertions of the story ? What book is this ? Read again closely and ask yourself "says who?"

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    3658 times

dents run treasure

Tom I would like a answer to that question also. Where did that story originate. It was well before the others. All the counties in Pa had a large county history published. 4 to 10" thick. They are the official history of each county. The Carnegie Library in Pgh has a copy of each in their reference section. Some of the books are so old they are falling apart. So if it's in the county history someone thought it was part of their history and important enough to include it. I admit I was surprised to find the story included. I would browse through the histories looking for leads. Find something of interest I'd make a copy and move on. Needless to say I found a ton of info. Rather than concentrate on treasure books or mags I found the histories more accurate.
    I'm no longer in Pa so I'm passing some stuff I copied on.
    Last edited by sgtfda; Mar 20, 2018 at 01:14 AM.
    Simon1 and miboje like this.

us
    Professional Treasure Hunter

Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    6315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't recall. The Elk or Cameron co history.
    We have county history around here and most of it is dated 2015. So sure if they saw a story posted by Francis Sculley they would presume the story to be correct and add it into their county history to attract tourism and the money tourist can spend. What is the copyright date on that history book is it before 1975?
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Feb 2013
    Longview, Texas
    1898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Troup View Post
    What is the latest update as of today?
    The same as it ever was
    “The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans!" - General Robert E. Lee

"While I could never repose confidence in a Yankee, I have never been deceived by an Indian" - Daniel Boone

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10047 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    .... Some of the books are so old they are falling apart. So if it's in the county history someone thought it was part of their history and important enough to include it.....
    sgtfda: And your pages in post # 286 are from nothing of the sort. They are not from history or period-contemporary sources. The whole tone is of the "once upon a time" type writing style. It's from much later .

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    3658 times
    The weekend before last I was searching this area
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521562152.113010.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	636.5 KB 
ID:	1566994
    The next day my right knee started clicking and hurt like hell. I've been resting it up. This thread caught my attention. Though I'd post some things that could help those still searching. My knee is feeling better and I'm off again. Upon reflection I prefer the trolls on the Lost Dutchman thread. Though I did make a few new friends on this thread.
    Simon1 likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    10047 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Beautiful pix

.... the trolls ...
    The choice is yours: A) Answer the contrary view (which was to question the origin & dates of this legend) or B) Name call . (Which does nothing to lend to the logical pro/con discussion.)
    franklin likes this.

Mar 2018
    12 times
    See
    It says that Conners and the two men were going to head Southeast toward Sinnemahoning. Wouldn't they be heading Southeast toward Driftwood, their destination? How would they take a wrong turn if they were in all likelihood following a river trail? Also makes no sense why they would would split up at this point, or why they wouldn't have just taken 120 (then the Bucktail Path) to Emporium, then finally down the Driftwood Branch (a fork of the Sinnemahoning Path) to Driftwood.

"Hey Guys, I know we are on the last leg of our journey, but since Castleton is sick, why don't we go off the beaten path and instead venture into the wilderness? These wagons have 4WD, right?
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Mar 2018
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FinderKeeper View Post
    Hay Clayton, You talked about a turtle carving in a rock , did you ever find it.
    6 times

Re: dents run treasure

Dennis, When you mentioned possible Spanish Treasure it set of a bell in my mind. I have a very old news article about a Turtle Carving in rock not to far away from Dent's Run. I haven't gone to the site yet. I often wondered if it could be Spanish or Native Indians. There were Indian tribes in that area, but I also think that the Spanish came exploring up the river.
    Interesting, Clayton

I've seen this

Mar 2018
    12 times
    Unfortunately, it is just some really cool rock graffiti. I know the property owners and they said that it wasn't there when they purchased the property.
    franklin and Tom_in_CA like this.

us

Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    6315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by General Sutter View Post
    It says that Conners and the two men were going to head Southeast toward Sinnemahoning. Wouldn't they be heading Southeast toward Driftwood, their destination? How would they take a wrong turn if they were in all likelihood following a river trail? Also makes no sense why they would would split up at this point, or why they wouldn't have just taken 120 (then the Bucktail Path) to Emporium, then finally down the Driftwood Branch (a fork of the Sinnemahoning Path) to Driftwood.

"Hey Guys, I know we are on the last leg of our journey, but since Castleton is sick, why don't we go off the beaten path and instead venture into the wilderness? These wagons have 4WD, right?
    I would also like to know if they split up and divided the gold, how on Earth did they cut the gold bars in half for the Pinkertons to find two and one half bars of the missing gold?

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus
    227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    sgtfda: And your pages in post # 286 are from nothing of the sort. They are not from history or period-contemporary sources. The whole tone is of the "once upon a time" type writing style. It's from much later .
    That county history that sgtfda is referring to was written about 1886, give or take a few years.

us

Jun 2012
    6315 times
    How do you know this? Where is the copyright page?
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links