dents run treasure

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay there was a lot of members on this site that BASHED this treasure hunt because they did not have the right info or did not know the truth. This is how its done when you play with the BIG BOYS. We deal with this problem all the time. Soon the truth will come out and this will be a story told for many years to come. The people that have been reading about this Dents Run Lost Gold Story will be glad to know it has a happy ending. We know the truth but it takes the right time to tell it. This is one of the best treasure hunts ever with many twist and turns over the 10yr period we worked it. It will make a great story to tell but not many will believe how it started or ended. This is the site to keep a eye on for the next few weeks, Things are about to happen big. Thank You
All :occasion14:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly look forward to hear the results, I will think its interesting to find out that there was a historical event that took place, I would love to see how reality parallels with what the story has become, and what would prompt the feds to take part in a treasure hunt, you know, I can recall a piece, or part of a story related to this that hasn't been mentioned on these threads, it was something about a headboard of a bed that someone had in their home, it was handmade, supposedly from reclaimed planks salvaged from the forest in dentsrun,and on the back was hand carved, scratched a message ,something like, (they can see me)or something like that, it was alluded that it may have come from the site,the furniture piece was very old,and family heirloom, it was from St Mary's area I think,can't recall where I heard of this though

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly look forward to hear the results, I will think its interesting to find out that there was a historical event that took place, I would love to see how reality parallels with what the story has become, and what would prompt the feds to take part in a treasure hunt, you know, I can recall a piece, or part of a story related to this that hasn't been mentioned on these threads, it was something about a headboard of a bed that someone had in their home, it was handmade, supposedly from reclaimed planks salvaged from the forest in dentsrun,and on the back was hand carved, scratched a message ,something like, (they can see me)or something like that, it was alluded that it may have come from the site,the furniture piece was very old,and family heirloom, it was from St Mary's area I think,can't recall where I heard of this though
You are 100% right on with your statement, I been looking for the board for a long time. The story talks about a big rock and we have a big one at our site. Then it says 3 men shooting at each other. We have bullet holes on our stone with led at the base. We have skeletons that could be Indian or white man. So there are things we still need to check out. Good Job

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refinish, restore antique furniture pieces on the side when I run up on a piece, and this part of story stuck out at me, because in the 1800s any fine milled and planed hardwood would have been salvaged, because it is likely the hardwood would've been true north American chestnut, now extinct, it was the hardest wood available, also the hardest to work,and would be likely what union wagons of higher end capacity, I.e.powder wagons,munitions, something likely double layered,virtually bulletproof for the time, ,and this struck me as plausible, for this would be great choice for the weight, durability for rapid transport, and a great choice to hide behind in a firefight and be close enough for a doomed soul to scratch their last,and a excellent choice to repurpose for furniture for someone who has a eye for quality wood ,I would do the same today if I could find true chestnut, the furniture piece is likely to still exist ,true chestnut could lay around for years twice as hard as oak, that's old barn beams are salvaged today, another kind of treasure you could say

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know Dennis, if the wagon was, dismantled, or destroyed at the site,or in the vicinity, and used as a shield against a large boulder, both likely if the story is true, it is possible to still find fragments of chestnut, if oiled treated for waterproofing, which was common place for the time, it may be possible some survives in the area, I have seen old chestnut beams pulled out of the ground, buried in farm, livestock waste for over 120 years, and still was solid at its core,just saying, it would be something I would look for in the area small, partially burnt ,or broken pieces would be left by salvagers as useless

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis, ya know, if trying to locate the piece, one direction you might consider, if the story is true ,the first discovery of the site is in the 1870s or 80 s by a surveyor, which it is said he found skeletal remains, human and (mule or horse) ,would think it likely that the remains of the wagon would not be far from the dead mules, and a surveyor would be aware of the quality of the wood, i would think that perhaps the surveyor salvaged the wood, I would look to land surveyors of the time, there would not be many, a heirloom may still be in the family, the oldest survey firm in pa is still in business,and has 170 years of land survey records ,I used to work for them, the founder is j. Simpson Africa, surveyor of the time would have records of each others work, nature of the trade, I would start there to find who was surveying in those days

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis, ya know, if trying to locate the piece, one direction you might consider, if the story is true ,the first discovery of the site is in the 1870s or 80 s by a surveyor, which it is said he found skeletal remains, human and (mule or horse) ,would think it likely that the remains of the wagon would not be far from the dead mules, and a surveyor would be aware of the quality of the wood, i would think that perhaps the surveyor salvaged the wood, I would look to land surveyors of the time, there would not be many, a heirloom may still be in the family, the oldest survey firm in pa is still in business,and has 170 years of land survey records ,I used to work for them, the founder is j. Simpson Africa, surveyor of the time would have records of each others work, nature of the trade, I would start there to find who was surveying in those days
Jack Shull did the survey work in the area in the 1960, 70's he found a wagon wheel and other finds. I was on site in 1974,75 and I was told the wagon was found on top of Hicks Run or Dents Run so I went up that dam hill on Dents Run at age 23 yrs old and that was the last time I tried to do that . On top I saw a older hole dug about 8' wide and 10' long and 6' deep. It could still be there above our site. I don't think they took any wood from the wagon to the cave. The bars were put in canvas made packs to take the gold down hill. We did not find any wood inside the cave. In 2006 I did check with the St Marys Historical Soc. about the wood with the info, they knew about it but did not see it or know were it was. We found stone tools in the cave and sent them to the museum commissioners in Harrisburg. There is more history to this cave because it had water and shelter and was a great place for over night stays.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
You know Dennis, if the wagon was, dismantled, or destroyed at the site,or in the vicinity, and used as a shield against a large boulder, both likely if the story is true, it is possible to still find fragments of chestnut, if oiled treated for waterproofing, which was common place for the time, it may be possible some survives in the area, I have seen old chestnut beams pulled out of the ground, buried in farm, livestock waste for over 120 years, and still was solid at its core,just saying, it would be something I would look for in the area small, partially burnt ,or broken pieces would be left by salvagers as useless

Loco. The wagons were burned on the Schaffer Draft east ridge. Ambush occurred just east of Bell Draft 10 feet from the county line.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack Schall and Frank (sgtfda ) would know more about anything found in the Dents Run area than I would. I only worked at our site and did not search outside that area. From what I was told by them they found a great deal of civil war artifacts. Jack is doing a book on this hunt so it would be great to know what they found.

Update 4/20/2018 we just returned from the Weedsville and Dents Run area after talking to the locals about the big day and got a lot of new info. Its not just how you play the game , its who wins that counts :occasion14:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunters and FBI search for lost Civil War gold in Pennsylvania

000aaa.jpg

Treasure hunters and FBI search for lost Civil War gold in Pennsylvania

Sun, Mar 18
A story that $55 million in Union gold was lost during the Civil War has long been dismissed as a myth — but this week, a team of FBI agents joined the search in rural Pennsylvania.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...-civil-war-gold-in-pennsylvania-1189052483709

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been 6 months now and our lawyer said that is enough time for the FBI to finish their investigation so we been working with major News Media to get our story right. Things are going ahead and the truth about what happened at Dents Run will be told.

Remember the FBI said
Nothing Was FOUND
, then said
the investigation was still on going
? Why is there a investigation if nothing was found, nothing to investigate, but if something was found then they have a lot to investigate , a lot to investigate. They can say anything they want during a investigation , anything. Its been 6 months and the investigation is still going on
huh.gif
huh.gif
?
dontknow.gif
Now you will see why we could not talk about this story and there is
a lot more to it now

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it's true; the survey crew found two sheleton's when they were surveying the elk and cameron county line. and found two bars of gold in their saddle bags. they had a couple of helpers and had to report the finding's. the bandits had a share in the ambush. and the guide received his share of at least two bars. also he hid his share and it is nowere near the dent 's run site. how come it taken him two months to reach lock haven???

If that 1876 story is true, where can I read it dated in 1876? I have found nothing older than 1973?

Here is a story in today's newspaper:

https://screenshots.firefox.com/dbH58BXDP2O87N0y/www2.philly.com

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread