jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no I think Oak Island, Which is a waste also.
My belief the only holes ever dug on
Oak Island were dug by Treasure Hunters.
re filled , and redug by more treasure hunters
:tongue3:

nobody digs holes that deep, with that many traps,
to bury a treasure.

the water is natural the layers were where each digger over the years
gave up, Re filled (or caved in) & moved on.

this is a personal opinion: I can't prove the grail is part of a fairy tale.
and they can't prove it ain't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlL0T19ks5s&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Well, that is Dennis in the video preview, so I guess there may be a side story on his search for the Civil War treasure.

Any of you guys seen America Unearthed before? It falls somewhere between Indiana Jones and hunting Bigfoot on the credibility-meter.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that is Dennis in the video preview, so I guess there may be a side story on his search for the Civil War treasure.

Any of you guys seen America Unearthed before? It falls somewhere between Indiana Jones and hunting Bigfoot on the credibility-meter.

I was enjoying America Unearthed, until everything he looked at convinced him of
the Templers. then it started getting boring.
& when he switched from just the Templers
to the Holy grail, I started thinking fantasy show.

he even looked at an Exxon sign and called his buddy quick.
I think he was suggesting it was the Knights Templers carved the Exxon sign :tongue3:

images.jpg

so going to be hard for me to watch next season if it comes back on.
may go the way of boombee baby & Ignore

Last edited:

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I was enjoying America Unearthed, until everything he looked at convinced him of
the Templers. then it started getting boring.
& when he switched from just the Templers
to the Holy grail, I started thinking fantasy show.

he even looked at an Exxon sign and called his buddy quick.
I think he was suggesting it was the Knights Templers carved the Exxon sign :tongue3:

View attachment 758312

so going to be hard for me to watch next season if it comes back on.
may go the way of boombee baby & Ignore

Agreed. I saw two episodes. The first one he started talking about alleged Viking runestones in the mid-west, (which have already been proven hoaxes). Second one was a spring-house in north-west PA, which he thought was a ceremonial washing pool built by the Knights Templar. Anyone from PA could tell from looking at it what it really was. But someone paid to fly him to Ireland to talk to "experts" on ancient stone structures? I don't know if the host really believes what he is selling or just laughing all the way to the bank.

I fear that being on this show would do damage to one's credibility. Just my opinion.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched the unearthed grail show. Kind of a waste of time. I applaud the effort by finderskeepers, but two things really irritated me - that Sinclair "descendent" said he was "probably a distant ....". WTF, probably? No certainty of genetic lineage? The word "could" was way overused. In the end, anything could be anywhere(including the Bradford Forrest).
There was another thing also. The d__kbag forensic geologist host was cussing to add drama. He should have just worn a skirt and a wig.

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Like to keep this string going, but move off the America Unearthed discussion. Would like to suggest anyone with historic documentation on this legend post it here. It would be great to see some information sharing on this. The oldest written account I have seen is from the article in Treasure magazine from the 1970s. But there is a much more detailed account from the Cameron County History published in the 1990s. That account, written by Mary Skinner, seems to be based on an earlier written account which I have not found yet. But there seem to be direct quotes by Connors in it, possibly from the military investigation.

Has anyone come across earlier written accounts, or actual Army records or such, they would be willing to post photos of here?

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
According to Conner's testimony, he changed his story. When on the interrogation 'hot seat' he said that they buried Lt. Castleton and then a fierce battle ensued, but then he later recanted and said he did not remember? But he apparently previously had told the people in Lock Haven that bushwhackers had wagon jacked them and killed all the men?

Assuming that what he blurted out during the interrogation was the truth means that the men fought against each other over the gold and somehow they all shot and either killed or wounded each other and Conner was the only one left to see them all die from their gunshot wounds? Who knows, he may have put some of them out of their misery? Or some may have helped him bury the gold before they died?

The story goes that while he was drunk he had blurted out that he knew where the gold was. If that's the blurted truth again then most of the bars are probably buried at Dents Run less maybe a few he carried out on a mule?

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
According to Conner's testimony, he changed his story. When on the interrogation 'hot seat' he said that they buried Lt. Castleton and then a fierce battle ensued, but then he later recanted and said he did not remember? But he apparently previously had told the people in Lock Haven that bushwhackers had wagon jacked them and killed all the men?

Assuming that what he blurted out during the interrogation was the truth means that the men fought against each other over the gold and somehow they all shot and either killed or wounded each other and Conner was the only one left to see them all die from their gunshot wounds? Who knows, he may have put some of them out of their misery? Or some may have helped him bury the gold before they died?

The story goes that while he was drunk he had blurted out that he knew where the gold was. If that's the blurted truth again then most of the bars are probably buried at Dents Run less maybe a few he carried out on a mule?

Some accounts have Connors making it out to Lock Haven, others have him only making it to a farm owned by a Mrs. Walker, who sent her son to Lock Haven to tell the Army about Connors. Apparently, Connors collapsed after he arrived at her house, and she found the journal Castleton had given him and a written order requesting help. Some believe Connors spent considerable time with Mrs. Walker. Hard to know what the truth is about all this.

I'd love to see records of those military inquiries. Supposedly, one was held at Clearfield, which makes sense as there was a Povost Marshall's office there for this region. Later inquiries were likely held at Carlisle. Unfortunately, all the records from that era that were kept at Carlisle burned in a fire.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great stuff! I'd like to see that diary/journal.

In this scenario, Conner's is a 'hero'. I think if Conner's was a 'straight shooter' and a hero, he guides the investigation to the 'crime scene' and the actual truth is revealed, with the Gold? But his 'hero testimony' (of all the men dead) is questioned by the Army? unless we believe he is telling the truth that he did not remember what actually happened?

I think Conner's testimony, although important, is not as important, in my opinion, than the eye witness accounts like Mrs Walker, and any corroborating first hand knowledge and actual facts that can be obtained from the 'crime scene': the dead bodies and their locations, the purported items found by the locals, the wagons and their location? and the purported bars found? I think all these small facts could be put together to recreate what actually happened?

Another account has Lt. Castleton on his deathbed and some of the men (maybe 3 or 4?) sent to Driftwood for help (Doctor?). This would most likely have stopped the mission altogether if Castleton was unable to continue the trip in his present condition? So they probably would have set up camp and wait for the detachment to return with help while they waited and tried to nurse the Lt.? It would seem to me in this scenario that Conner's being a guide would have led this group to Driftwood?, unless he thought they could easily make it on their own? (I think Driftwood was only about 20 miles from Dent's Run? --1/2 day by horse?).

In either scenario I think the mission was soon to be scrubbed with the looming death of Castleton and a repository for the bulk of Gold had to be made in the ground. In this case though, if all the men died as Conner's purported, then the detachment had to return but unknowingly are followed back to camp by Rebel Bushwhackers.

How Conner's escapes is probably because he was dressed in plain clothes, a civilian guide??

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Perhaps the gold was stashed in the Lt's grave which is located not far from the ambush site. The grave is well hidden and I gave my word I would not disclose the location. The Lt can rest in piece
After watching the HC2 show I now understand why so many empty holes are being found by a certain group. Flawed equipment. The look on their faces was priceless when the drill turned up nothing. This type show can set you up and not show you in the best light. My friend Freddie from Gold Show Alaska is a good example.
Hmmmm I wonder if I pointed those coat hangers at the Superstitions I would find the LDM. See you later guys. I can see the mountain from my pool. I was thinking of making a big dowsing rod. I can get on my float in the pool holding the rod and see where it points on the mountain.
Sorry I could not help myself. I have a lot of friends out here in Arizona digging empty holes too. Come to think of it I dug one at Ted G's buried painting site. Was fun.

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Perhaps the gold was stashed in the Lt's grave which is located not far from the ambush site. The grave is well hidden and I gave my word I would not disclose the location. The Lt can rest in piece
After watching the HC2 show I now understand why so many empty holes are being found by a certain group. Flawed equipment. The look on their faces was priceless when the drill turned up nothing. This type show can set you up and not show you in the best light. My friend Freddie from Gold Show Alaska is a good example.
Hmmmm I wonder if I pointed those coat hangers at the Superstitions I would find the LDM. See you later guys. I can see the mountain from my pool. I was thinking of making a big dowsing rod. I can get on my float in the pool holding the rod and see where it points on the mountain.
Sorry I could not help myself. I have a lot of friends out here in Arizona digging empty holes too. Come to think of it I dug one at Ted G's buried painting site. Was fun.

Burying the gold in the Lt's grave is as good a guess as any. I've heard about that grave. Way I heard it, it was marked with a stone that looked like a headstone, and had the year 1863 scratched into it, which was rapidly weathering away. Our friend tried to dig it up, but hit a huge flat stone with tree roots growing over it. That's not ground you could dig down very far in. Don't know a body could be buried very deep, a large flat stone on top might be a good way to keep animals from digging it up.

I was recently looking at that area on some LIDAR maps. I think I know where the spring/springs were that the survey crew found the skeletons. My next trip up there will be to find the springs on the ground, and from there look for a mass grave. My guess would be the survey crew would have just dumped the skeletons all together and covered with a rock pile. That shouldn't be too hard to find. If someone could find that, and the bones of several people inside, and verify their age, that would be some pretty hard evidence for the story being true.

You find the LDM yet Frank?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The spot is east of Bell Draft valley on the county border. A pipe line follows the border in that spot. Springs are in the valley. The spot I found the gun parts was about 20 ft south of the border. There are some dirt piles in that spot. Did I not send you my map. That's the area to look. I've been all over that valley. It's full of junk from the logging camp. I have our friends cords on the grave location and that's how I found it.
The LDM was found and cleaned out couple years ago. Called the pit mine by those in the know. Lots of things to look for in those mountains. It's rough going back in there I live nearby and I attend the Dutch hunter gathering each fall at Dons camp and talk to the major players. I'm more into prospecting now though I'm onto a few treasure locations. You would be surprised what you pick up at the gathering.

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Okay, so a friend of mine calls me today to tell me that a DCNR Forester found 9 bars of gold while marking trees between the Quehanna Boot Camp and Pottersdale. :icon_scratch: My friend is a Deputy WCO for the Game Commission, and he heard this from a friend in the DCNR. This is not in the Bell Draft or Dent's Run area, but about an hour south of there by car. As the crow flies, maybe 20 miles? Supposedly, the DCNR Forester turned the gold in, and after that the Feds came in and started doing a thorough search of the area, and found a wagon. It doesn't add up, since according to the accounts they were abandoning the wagons when Connors left, and when he returned with the rescue party, they found the wagons burned. Wagon artifacts were in fact found on the ridge above Dent's Run by someone several years ago. I guess it's possible that some of the culprits (whether men from the patrol, or outside attackers) split up the gold and some may have traveled south into the Quehanna area. I'm not putting much stock in this "news" though. The person who shared this with my WCO friend said it was all over the news up here. Really? I didn't see or hear anything about it. I've done some Google searches on keywords from the story and do not get ANYTHING like this story.

If anyone has contact with the DCNR, and could verify this news one way or the other, please check it out and post the results here.

Frank, yes– you did send me your map. I have been in the area where you found the gun parts. I don't remember seeing any dirt piles, but wasn't looking for mounds at that time. I gotta' get a GPS that works. Last time I was up there I was looking for some of the things on your map, and the GPS I was using was way off (or I was using it wrong).

Last edited:

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I would think that would have been all over the news reports. Sounds unlikely.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Schieftain, My lawer in Harrisburg will be meeting with DCNR on Monday and will be at the Museum Commisoners Office this week. I sent him your post and he wants to check it out.

Last edited:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great work and post Schieftain! There seems to be too many facts or details associated with this report by Schieftain's friend to discount it. Also, his friend probably called him because he knew that this story wasn't publicized--and this fits with the sparse details from both the Military and the Fed. Also, a second wagon may give credence to the rumor of not 26 but 50+ bars, which could not be handled with one wagon. If so, there's probably a lot of Gold still out there in that now bigger 'grid' area yet to be found?

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If gold bars were found I would think the Feds would keep this quiet until they search the area for more gold. The last thing they would want is Treasure Hunters in the area:dontknow:

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
According to Schieftain, here is the area in question halfway between Karthaus and Pottersdale.

2nd_wagon_9bars.JPG halfway_point.JPG

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
According to Schieftain, here is the area in question halfway between Karthaus and Pottersdale.

View attachment 810274 View attachment 810275

Yep. Somewhere in there. Still a big area. IF it's true. And that's a big IF...

Questions I would like to see answered:
Were the bars covered with "picth"? Like in the accounts? Supposedly they were covered to look like lead.
Also, what do they weigh exactly? In the accounts, the bars were 600 troy ounces, (around 46 lbs.) My friend told me he heard the found bars weigh 60 lbs.

schieftain

Apr 27, 2011
Philipsburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Hay Schieftain, My lawer in Harrisburg will be meeting with DCNR on Monday and will be at the Museum Commisoners Office this week. I sent him your post and he wants to check it out. Can you email me more info to send him and we will track it down.

Only other details I heard were that the bars found weigh 60 lbs.
And that this happened about a month ago. Forester found nine bars of gold while marking trees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions