Laurel Run Payroll

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
A local legend has it that a payroll was stolen from a lumber company and hidden along Laurel Run creek near Wilkes-Barre. Other than the "stories", I have never seen anything in print to substantiate this tale. I.E. news clippings or documents. Since I also heard the robber was caught, the loot is supposed to be there still. Anyone else heard of this?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bandit Michael Rizzalo stole a $12,000 payroll in 1888. He was said to have buried it in a tin box somewhere on Laurel Run Mountain, just outside the town of Wilkes-Bare. The money is supposed to still be there today.

I found this on the net. It's from one of those "treasure story" sites. No other info.

DCMatt

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Yeah, I saw that too. But nowhere can I find anything that supports it. I believe the lumber company was actually a lumber mill located at Oliver Mills. They made barrels for blasting powder for the mines, 1000 a day! This mill was also located on Laurel Run creek. I live about 10 minutes from Laurel Run, but I'd like a little more to go on. Thanks for the info.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a true story. Here is what I have from my research library. I was gonna follow up on this lead but never got around to it. Wilkesbarre is about 70 miles from me, and just a bit too far to pursue this but your welcome to what I got.

The articles are taken from a newspaper here in Northumberland County on October 26, 1888. Good luck..........Rich

Attachments

• NewsClipping#1.jpg
    NewsClipping#1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,919
  • NewsClipping#2.jpg
    NewsClipping#2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,805
OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Sweet Maria! it's true! Thanks for the info. I won't get too excited yet, there's no reason why the location couldn't have been relayed to others before the robbers capture. Still, it's intriguing enough for me to take a walk along Laurel Run when the snow finally melts here......
As to the discrepancy in the amount, I can only assume as stories are told and retold, the amount, like the fish that got away, grow bigger.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Rubicon,

I did some poking around based on the info from the newspaper clippings.

Here's a topo map of the area from 1894. Only one road runs between Mill Creek and Laurel Run. By the map scale, Laural Run is nearly a mile from that road. It runs along a branch of Mill Creek. It's the double dashed line leading from "Hudson" out to the Lehigh Valley railroad tracks on the right edge of the map. There appears to be one very sharp curve in the road as it follows the creek. If that's the road, I'd start there. If you find the gold, don't forget who gave you the map! ;) Good luck.

laurelrun_millcreek1894.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More good news.

If this IS the right area, satellite images show it is still mostly undeveloped. I can see parts of the old road (unpaved) running along the creek. The railraod tracks are still in use.

Happy hunting,

DCMatt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• lrun.jpg
    lrun.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,928
  • lrlrn.jpg
    lrlrn.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,435
OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
A "Valise" is a small suitcase like bag. This story has more twists and turns than the railroad that runs along the mountains base. So even if the first bag was recovered and the Italians each had 1000 on them, conceivably there is still $9700 (1888 value)yet to be found. I wonder if "Red Nose" showed them all of it or thought someday to return and get it himself.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Map re-attached. ??? Try it again.

DCMatt

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Thanks DCMatt, it was my browser at work. It wouldn't support the JPG. And thank you all for your input and advice. I will make this trip when the weather breaks, and I will let you know what I see.

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the maps 'King, no matter what the outcome, they will narrow the search.
I too have misgivings about the whole matter; why would the Italians trust Red Nose with all that money? Wouldn't they have divided it up in a secluded spot and then returned to Italy? I visited the Luzerne county historical society today, however the archives library was closed. I will return again when they reopen. By the way, I am not a member of any Jeep clubs, but I do enjoy giving the Rubicon a workout TH'ing, hiking, and visiting historical sites.

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Just an update, I am also pursuing leads with the L.V. RR historical society. I'll post my results.
You know, it was 2 & 1/2 years that Rizzollo had to run about Wilkes-Barre spending that money before his capture and execution. That's a lot of spending time.............. :-\

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tale of Red Nose Mike​

By 1886, railroads were prevalent throughout Wyoming Valley. The Lehigh Valley Railroad decided to build a “cut-off” line from Mountaintop to Scranton, thus bypassing the entire track that slowed the shipments between the two points. By October 1888, the line was nearly complete, except for the “arch”, where masons were completing two tunnels, one for Mill Creek and the other for wagon traffic. Approximately 800 immigrant laborers, mostly of Italian descent, worked for a period of two years completing this line. The tunnel, often referred to as the “arch”, is still in existence today. It can be found at the intersection of Jumper Road, Westminster Road, and Bald Mountain Road in Plains Township.

On October 19, 1888, the rain was steady and work on the railroad was at a standstill. The paymaster, J. B. McClure, decided to prepare the payroll one day earlier than normal. He asked that stable master Hugh Flannagan to accompany him, as the other man who usually traveled with him was not available. Due to the rain, the railroad workers were cooped up in their shanties near “Hairpin Curve”, along Bear Creek and Pittston Boulevard. Many of the workers were also on foot with umbrellas, traveling between their camps and Miners Mills. J. B. McClure and Hugh Flannagan left the work camp just north of the “arch” early, and arrived at Miners Mills in very little time. Leaving Miners Mills, they headed to Wilkes-Barre, passing Quigley’s store and the post office, arriving approximately fifteen minutes later in their one-horse carriage.

McClure, age 21, was to be married within a few weeks at Philadelphia, and first stopped at the tailor to get his suit before heading to Wyoming Bank to get the payroll. Flannagan tended to the horse and buggy. Upon entering the bank, McClure presented his satchel, which was filled with bills and coin totaling $12,000.

They promptly left Wilkes-Barre, making the return trip in about the same time, waving to some of the workers as they were walking under their umbrellas. Nearing Fox Hill, they passed Mike Rezzelo, who worked in the company commissary at the camp. Upon reaching an area on Wilkes-Barre Mountain near the present Wilkes-Barre Area Vocational Technical School, McClure and Flannagan received a volley of shots from the brush. Flannagan fell dead off the buggy. The horse darted, and McClure fell from his seat. His foot caught in the hardware of the buggy, the fleeing horse dragged his dead body. The satchel filled with money was still on the footboards of the buggy, when one of the bandits, catching up with the fleeing horse, shot it in the head.

The sound of gunshots rang out, and were heard at the work camp down the road. James McFadden, a contractor, hurried in his buggy down the road, where he found the dead horse and the mangled body of his paymaster, J. B. McClure. The lifeless bodies of McClure and Flannagan were taken to the grocery store at Miners Mills, where the coroner could examine them. It was not long that a group of people gathered from various directions, all pointing fingers of suspicion. Upon examining the body of Flannagan, the coroner found $7,000 in Pennsylvania government bonds sewed within his clothing.

Many suspects were rounded up, including the Mock brothers, who were well known hunters, and Mike Rezzelo, since he was seen nearby. Eventually all were excused by the police and county authorities.

The last rail was placed over the “arch” and two brass plaques reading “1888” were affixed at each end of the wagon tunnel. The job was now complete. McFadden and his men proceeded to another railroad job at Poughkeepsie, New York. During the course of the new job, Mike Rezzelo befriended another Italian immigrant like himself. On one occasion of celebration he presented this friend with a crisp fifty-dollar bill. Soon after, the friend, a Pinkerton detective, placed handcuffs on Mike. Red Nosed Mike, as he became known in the sensational news writings of the time, was returned to the courthouse on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre to face trial on the charges. Mike Rezzelo was tried and convicted, and was sentenced to death by hanging. On June 25, 1889, at the age of 19, Red Nosed Mike was hanged during a public execution on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre. His two accomplices fled to Italy, and on November 20, 1889, a letter was received that they were caught and punished.

For his part in the crime, Red Nosed Mike received three fifty-dollar bills. Prior to fleeing the country, his accomplices stashed the remainder of the money from the “Mountain Murders Robbery” somewhere along the railroad between the “arch” and Oliver’s Mills, perhaps in one of the many natural caves that adorn the mountainside.

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
So, it looks like maybe Mike wasn't the ringleader after all. He was used by the others to alert them to the passing of the money wagon. At that point he joined in on the ambush- but, he had to return to camp quickly or be noticed as missing. (since it says he was questioned and released) The other two bandits couldn't risk returning toward town, so they went the opposite way, and hopefully stashed the money before exiting the woods. Ahhh, where to begin. Perhaps a walk down the rail line.

OP
OP
Rubicon

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
I didn't want to be the wet blanket, but... i just returned from the Wilkes- Barre Historical Society. I read the days accounts of the crime, the capture and trial, and lastly the execution of Red Nose Mike. It turns out the plan was hatched over a day of target shooting in which the three thought they were so good, they could take on anyone and decided the paymaster would be the target. The brutality of the crime surprised me, after which the trio went back to Mikes shanty on Fox Hill where the money was stashed in a paper box. The pay, as it turns out was mostly paper currency with little coin! :( The Italians gave Mike $160 for his part and promised him more after they returned to Italy. Of course when Mike sent them a registered letter, it went unanswered. (imagine that!) Upon his capture, Mike showed the authorities where the guns had been buried and wrote out a full confession to the crime. Lastly, his hanging was gruesome - taking his body a full 43 minutes to die.

Jay-in-Pa

Jan 12, 2007
NE Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
This story keeps getting better, Rubicon if you want a hand poking around there let me know. ;D

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread