105 KB · Views: 950

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Re: My interpretation

Jeff,

I grew up on the Juniata river. Floated it many times from Lewistown down through Mifflintown. Once Lexis crossed the Tuscarora mountain, he described a rock overlooking the river. He also later stated that someone floating a canal raft downstream might find it to his dismay. I am not sure if the canal was present when Lewis was in the area. I think if they were the canals were just completed. I have not verified this.

I do know that there are few places on the Juniata where a rock outcrop would look over the river and be susceptible to flooding. First the PRR has tracks on that side of the river. There are few places that meet this description. The RR did not do much mass excavation/blasting. There are three spots that meet this criteria....the first is at the fish commission access area in Mifflintown. On rt 22 west of town 2-3 miles. This is just downstream of the river where it comes out of the narrows. A place to possibly get caught. On the opposite side of the river from the access is a rock overlook. Legend says a wagon with people were lost in the deep hole. Legend also says of dangerous whirlpool/current. I cannot verify, only state what I knew as a youngster. The RR does not go to near the river here due to the elevation. That is why I think this the best of the three. The second place is downriver of Milfflin on the Mifflin side. across the river from the Empire Kosher Chicken Plant.

Bye the way land near the Chicken plant was a fairground for approximately 10-15 years in late 1800's. This are is scheduled for a new bridge to be started in a year or two. 1/4 mile south of Mifflintown on lands of Parker. I have not identified Parkers land yet. It was said to be riverside, but I believe it may be on top of the hill close to the Tuscarora Junior High.

The rail road is close to the river in this area and may have covered any possibilities in this spot. the third spot is below Port Royal, approaching Mexico. again the RR has run through there and may have buried the area. The canal on this section of river is on the northeastern side while boaters would have utilized the opposite side during high water to go downstream.

bstimely21

Jan 13, 2009
LEWISTOWN PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett PinPointer
hey mr mojo,
you mention the fairgrounds inthe early 1800s, have you hit this spot at all? do you know if it easy to access or if youd even be allowed to? sounds like it could be a good spot worth hitting

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The only real treasure left to find would have to be the Gold cache near Indian Caverns.
I'm not sure how tightly secured the gold in the saddlebags were at the Juanita River
but its very possible the coins got scattered near or downstream from where he hid it.
If the bags kept the money contained then depending on the weight I don't see them
going far? Its possible that the bags with all the coins in it was found but if the coins
got dislodged then your probably looking in the crevices of the rocks?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions