Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love old stuff like this.....especially in my old stomping grounds

i never knew that used to be a covered bridge.......its right there where Turkey Hill is

i wonder if the banks of the schuylkill are MD worthy........the only downfall is the flooding over the years surely washed away alot of things......again, waybe it washed UP a few aswell

i appreciate all your effort posting things like this.....thank you

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the flood of 72 probably
added alot of trash & Removed goodies Too.
Still alot of good areas out there yet.

Ever try for permission to the Pool
up by the High School ?

My guess hunted or not, would have alot of Gold rings.

Going to rain the next few days, I'll see what else I can pull up
from out there.

We have to get together to hunt sometime.

JEFF

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
good read, Jeff. Do you have anything on the canal around Port Clinton? I can remember years ago, many years ago, that there were two small canal boats near Hamburg sitting off the edge of what had been the canal. Long gone now of course. I just came across a photo of the river looking downstream from Port Clinton that shows part of the canal.
BJW

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprisingly Not alot exists on Port Clinton
Considering how Old it is, There should Be.

I'll look though, in case I have just been Missing it.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
years ago I hunted the tow path near Hamburg and dug a few things, nothing great, including mule shoes. I believe that area now has stone put down and digging would be a chore.
BJW

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
You are right on the stone. That was under the inches of mud. It was some tough digging for nothing of interest. Haven't been back.

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Neat little story...I am from pine grove, PA and the canal used to run through my town..now there is only a small section that has been preserved..but my pap told me that when he was boy (30's-40's) the area used to be used as a dump site for garbage and when the canal was being preserved the construction equiptment dug up much of it and bottle and treasre hunters were constantly scavenging the area directly beside the canal..i was a bit too young to realzie the major possibility of great finds..he also told me that when the creek (swatara) flooded he and his buddies would shoot at the bottles that floated down after they were picked up from the banks...Now last summer the treasure bug bit me and I decided to try my luck at bottle digging along this creek..a few nice bottles but nothing crazy..but i did spot a 1907 indian head just lying on the top of the soil above the flood line..this is the second coin that i know has been found around the canal area (the other being a very worn large cent)..but it does make you wonder if these coins were found with no detector there must be a good amount lost there just waiting to be found

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Regarding the previous post about Port Clinton...I'm sure many of you guys are aware of the swimming hole, which can be seen easily from the bridge crossing the river right after you leave Port Clinton and pass the App. Trail parking lot. From stories I've heard, people have been diving off those rocks and into the river since the 20's and 30's. There's a pretty large sand/gravel beach, and even though it's a popular spot for camping and fishing, it could be worth checking out, just because of the large amount of people that must have used the swimming hole over the years (or decades). I've camped there dozens of times as a teenager, never came across anyone metal detecting though, so who knows.

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Not to get off-topic, but I've got a silly question. Even though I don't own a metal detector, I've been checking out this forum for a few years now because I love local history/folklore, etc. I'd like to get a detector one of these days, but I'm wondering if they make metal detectors that work underwater? Or one that can be used on both land and water....not deep water, of course, I mean like streams and creeks.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes almost if not all Metal detectors these days are waterproof
up to the Control Box & there are several brands
with underwatwer detectors that can be fully Submersed

zendog64

Mar 31, 2006
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Hey, thanks for posting that link! It's cool to see that there's so much local interest in that location, I've been going there ever since I was old enough to walk, and I've often thought about what might be at the bottom of that swimming hole. I think the depth of 15 ft. as mentioned is a pretty accurate statement, if not on the low side. I fished the river a few times this summer and the water level was really low...it wouldve been a great summer to explore the bottom if I had any snorkeling equipment.

coinmaster

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zendog64 said:
Regarding the previous post about Port Clinton...I'm sure many of you guys are aware of the swimming hole, which can be seen easily from the bridge crossing the river right after you leave Port Clinton and pass the App. Trail parking lot. From stories I've heard, people have been diving off those rocks and into the river since the 20's and 30's. There's a pretty large sand/gravel beach, and even though it's a popular spot for camping and fishing, it could be worth checking out, just because of the large amount of people that must have used the swimming hole over the years (or decades). I've camped there dozens of times as a teenager, never came across anyone metal detecting though, so who knows.
I have been there a couple time have found nothing. but im sure there is stuff there.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mikhen :icon_thumleft: