LOST FRENCH GOLD

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Borie area is mentioned because in the story the Senecas confirmed seeing the rock and carving of a cross on it there. Looking at historical survey maps is very interesting, and one of 1831 shows Coudersport as the only town in potter county. The only road into it from the West is HWY 6, and the only road leading away from town and into the Borie area is Coudersport/Jersey Highway (Rte 44). One would seem to hypothesize that this was probably an old indian trail once upon a time known of by the scouts with the group.

Attachments

• coudersport.JPG
    coudersport.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 621

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you it's NOT in the Borie valley. Been there, hiked there, explored there. There just isn't any rocks the size of a house there.

If you figure the route they were supposed to travel, the streams running from the Borie are just that, small streams. They eventually dead end in steep terraine. Not a likely portage at all.

I did some detecting down around the Roulette way years back. Head waters of the Allegheny, not awfully wide but plenty deep in a lot of places...and HUGE rocks. I detected around several but I never saw anything like a cross chiseled in any of them. That's not to say there isn't one, I just never saw one.

If memory serves me, I vaguely remember the rocks being mossy with lichen growing on them which could easily obscure any carvings and 350 years of weathering....well...look at old headstones of marble, concrete, sandstone...even those of just 100 years old...mostly obliterated of any inscriptions.

I'd love to see the records FinderKeeper talked about, locked away for no one to see. Be interesting reading even if nothing is said about the gold. It's a treasure in itself just reading about their travels and hardships 350 years ago where river travel in crude rafts was the way to go.

Wish anyone luck in pursuit of this one.

Al

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I heard that about Borie before from others here, but it seems as though that is what the story tells? And if it is handed down by the Senecas then it should be accurate? I think some here seem to forget, the group was holding onto their scalps running away from the Senecas, who were hunting them. This would explain going out of the way, possibly taking the lower headwater through the Borie area, to a safe location in order to hide the gold.

If the Borie account is true, which I think it is, then I would have to put the gold not too far from a navigable point on the Southern Branch of the Allegheny in or near the Borie area.

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found a rock with a large cross carved into it, and near it is a smaller rock with carvings of a church ( small building with cross above) what appears to be water ( wavy lines) and an eye . i cannot post pictures as the area is to recognizable for people from my area. am going to keep poking around there keeping my fingers crossed

gcg

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
It is wise to not post your picture of the rock, but you may want to consider taking close-up photos of the symbols. If it is indeed the correct rock, those symbols may be telling you where the gold is located. You need to find someone that can interpret the symbols for you.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good find GCG!
The symbols supposedly were not only to mark near the location of the gold but to
also make the Senecas aware that it was a sacred area. While the Indians hated the
French, they had a high regard for the Jesuit Priests and their spiritual symbols.
I'm sure this is in a large part why they were there, to protect the party and their
precious cargo.
As the story goes, the gold is near the rock?
However, it is also known from past finds that the Jesuits used several rock symbols
together to mark the actual location(s) of the treasure.
Take a look at this past find and the picture of the cross in relation to the symbols
and the caches.
http://www.1oro1.com/jesuits/rqfind.html

Attachments

• rqfindmap.jpg
    rqfindmap.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 487

EVERY DAYS A FRI.

Jan 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is that it??? last post oct 6 2011 ? any up dates for the new bee?? i gota few ideas on this one btw i have not read so much ever before in my life!!! gold fever set in few days ago!@#$%^&* good luck to all!!!!!! :read2:

EVERY DAYS A FRI.

Jan 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any body search north of coudersport? if they blew up rock think somebody mighta found something?

EVERY DAYS A FRI.

Jan 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice map up there . but i thought legand was from 1690? any more thoughts on this one or did the rock with wavy lines find it"gcg" :icon_scratch: :whip2: :-* :BangHead: ??? good luck hunting e.d.a.f.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a copy of the only picture ever taken to my knowledge of the cross on the rock. It is not in the Borie Valley but is on the route that the French would have taken on their way back to Montreal. Francis Scully ripped this story from the historian who authored it and distorted the facts concerning the treasure and its location. You won't find this cache or any other by following anything that Scully wrote.

Example: Blackbeard's Treasure in Pennsylvania. Scully writes that it was entrusted to Col. Noah Parker in about 1812. Do some genealogical research; Noah Parker wasn't even born in 1812 and he was never a Col.

Learn to debunk these stories.
The French route from New Orleans to Montreal did not go through the Borie.

I've blogged about these legends on my Facebook site. If you want to know more you can find me there. I'll be happy to share what I know with you.
https://www.facebook.com/hcharles.beil?ref=tn_tnmn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread