Wilkesbarre guys, need info on this treasure lead.......

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the 1927 newpapers awhile back and came up with nothing. The year could be wrong. I may have scrolled past it, you know how that can be while viewing newspaper microfiche at the library................mind boggling, can drive ya crazy.

I think this lead is would be more feasable to pursue in my opinion if I can get some info. Here is the lead...........In 1927, a pay car for the coal mines was blown up by 2 men. The explosion blew the $27,000 payroll over a large area. NOT all was recovered. I believe the payroll was in greenbacks and silver coin, no mention of gold coin but could be possible. I do know this: $6,000 in coin??? is scattered near Wilkesbarre in a section of woods called Espe Gap.

Anybody heard of this story? Where is Espe Gap?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just this from 2 sources

One says Luzerne the other Lackawana County.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 755

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
This one can be confusing. There are 2 stories about robberies in this vicinity. The first story relates how 2 men blew up a payroll car of the Glen Alden Coal company near Warrior Run. Four men were killed and the robbers caught. The second story involves a forced train derailment and robbery of some 70,000 dollars which was supposedly hidden nearby. At any rate, Espy Gap is located to the South of Warrior Run. The Hanover reservoirs outflow courses through this small mountain gap. I have been there many times. The entire area was strip mined in the early 70's and is now choked with regrowth. Plenty of mines to investigate, if you like that sort of thing, but I would concentrate on the Warrior Run story, which can be substantiated.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warrior Run payroll or Espy Gap payroll? OR the same? Compare with my original post below...........What do you think?

"I tried the 1927 newpapers awhile back and came up with nothing. The year could be wrong. I may have scrolled past it, you know how that can be while viewing newspaper microfiche at the library................mind boggling, can drive ya crazy.

I think this lead is would be more feasable to pursue in my opinion if I can get some info. Here is the lead...........In 1927, a pay car for the coal mines was blown up by 2 men. The explosion blew the $27,000 payroll over a large area. NOT all was recovered. I believe the payroll was in greenbacks and silver coin, no mention of gold coin but could be possible. I do know this: $6,000 in coin??? is scattered near Wilkesbarre in a section of woods called Espe Gap."

On January 13, 1930, Warrior Run became the scene of one of the most dramatic and deadly robbery attempts in the history of the valley. Four men were killed and several others maimed for life when bandits boldly ambushed a pay car of the Glen Alden Coal Company as it was going to the # 20 tunnel. The killers exploded a cache of dynamite by means of an electric wire connected to a battery. The resulting blast blew the pay car to bits, sending debris, bodies, and cash flying high into the air. The bandits never got the $35,000 carried in the pay car, but the crime cost two of them their lives. Joseph Szachewicz and John Nafus were electrocuted for this deadly deed."

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Scratch this one you guys, I have been told that it has probably all been found.

skizwiz

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2013
WilkesBarre,Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband is from Warrior Run and when he was a kid he used to go in all those tunnels. He had a mini stroke last year and he is interested in finding someone to go on digs with Are you interested? Please contact him at 5708245394

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Did some extensive research of the area. I pinpointed the near exact location of the ambush and explosion. The railroad bed is still there and the surrounding area appears to be untouched by later strip ming operations. I don't have a metal detector but would like to go on site and do a little recon. A MD is a must for this type of search as the coins were scattered 360 degrees in a 1400 ft. radius.

SKISWIZ: Does your husband have a MD and would he be interested in a little late morning walk sometime in November?
I will give him a call as to when I plan on going.

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you ever check this out?? I am near Tamaqua, but I am interested

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Hi Sgt Tee. The holidays are fast approaching and I didn't have time to RECON the area. I asked the wife (hinted) for a metal detector for Christmas. I guess I have to be like Ralphie in The Christmas Story and leave better hints. If I score one and the weather is still co-operating I would love to go out after the new year. I'll keep everyone informed.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sgt Tee. The holidays are fast approaching and I didn't have time to RECON the area. I asked the wife (hinted) for a metal detector for Christmas. I guess I have to be like Ralphie in The Christmas Story and leave better hints. If I score one and the weather is still co-operating I would love to go out after the new year. I'll keep everyone informed.

Rather than leaving loose hints, do your research and leave a print out of what you want for her.. Otherwise you may get a junky toy that she found at the department store..

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes you best tell the woman to give you cash so you can pick out your own machine. my parents rest in peace lived in Pine groove, You are in a great spot. Sweet Arrow was drained years back and that was a hot spot. Once the spring rolls around and you want to get out, we can hook up

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even a coin or two not recovered would be enough to keep me going

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
Great advice guys. I'm well versing her in what I want. She's afraid of being an MD widow though so I need to get her interested in the hobby. A nice ring for a first find would do the trick.

JoLin B

Feb 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some extensive research of the area. I pinpointed the near exact location of the ambush and explosion. The railroad bed is still there and the surrounding area appears to be untouched by later strip ming operations. I don't have a metal detector but would like to go on site and do a little recon. A MD is a must for this type of search as the coins were scattered 360 degrees in a 1400 ft. radius.

SKISWIZ: Does your husband have a MD and would he be interested in a little late morning walk sometime in November?
I will give him a call as to when I plan on going.

I just bought a md and live in warrior run..just need to know where to go..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread