Bowmans Hill/Capt Kidds gold

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bowman's Hill/Capt Kidd's gold

Anyone ever heard of this or know the source of this info? Found at: https://sites.google.com/site/hauntsandhistory/freedom'scornerhaunts&history

BOWMAN'S HILL TOWER (Solebury Twp., Bucks County) Dr. John Bowman sailed with the British fleet to bring in Captain Kidd, but switched sides and became Kidd's personal sawbones. When the Cap was captured, Bowman sailed up the Delaware to avoid his boss' fate. He settled down in Newtown, about six miles from the hill. When he died, he was buried on top of the hill, per his wishes, "…as that would be as near heaven as he ever expected to get." As told by Charles Burr Todd in a brochure describing the historic areas along the Delaware, "…it is popularly believed that his unquiet ghost haunts the hill top, and that the shrieks, groans and gibbering which in certain conditions of the atmosphere reach the valley are his." Others told that if you put your ear to the ground next to Bowman's grave and ask "Bowman, what killed you?", you'll hear the reply, "Nothing." Several stones believed to mark Bowman's grave are said to have once stood near the top of the hill, not far from a black oak tree, now also gone. Even the ground around the oak took on a mythic aura. In describing the mighty tree, Todd says, "There must be pyrotechnics up here in a thunder storm for the trees all about are blasted, torn, riven and barked by lightning bolts-as if heaven were trying to purify the earth to which the ashes of the wicked pirate had returned."A "massive oaken chest" was found among Dr. Bowman's possessions, but none of Captain Kidd's gold was found in it. Treasure hunters presumed Bowman buried the loot from his escapades with Kidd on top of the hill, and many have tried unsuccessfully to recover the treasure. The site was also supposed to be a graveyard for Revolutionary War soldiers slaughtered by Hessian mercenaries. The stones that cover the hillside are allegedly their old grave markers, and their shrieks and groans can still be heard to this day. It's also reported, in Phillylist's Philadelphia Weirdness, that the nearby bridge (the Van Sant Covered Bridge, aka Crybaby Bridge) is haunted by several spooks, including a pregnant woman who jumped off of said bridge. Legend says you can hear the cries of her child when you drive over the span.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
vor said:
Anyone ever heard of this or know the source of this info? Found at: https://sites.google.com/site/hauntsandhistory/freedom'scornerhaunts&history

BOWMAN'S HILL TOWER (Solebury Twp., Bucks County) Dr. John Bowman sailed with the British fleet to bring in Captain Kidd, but switched sides and became Kidd's personal sawbones. When the Cap was captured, Bowman sailed up the Delaware to avoid his boss' fate. He settled down in Newtown, about six miles from the hill. When he died, he was buried on top of the hill, per his wishes, "…as that would be as near heaven as he ever expected to get." As told by Charles Burr Todd in a brochure describing the historic areas along the Delaware, "…it is popularly believed that his unquiet ghost haunts the hill top, and that the shrieks, groans and gibbering which in certain conditions of the atmosphere reach the valley are his." Others told that if you put your ear to the ground next to Bowman's grave and ask "Bowman, what killed you?", you'll hear the reply, "Nothing." Several stones believed to mark Bowman's grave are said to have once stood near the top of the hill, not far from a black oak tree, now also gone. Even the ground around the oak took on a mythic aura. In describing the mighty tree, Todd says, "There must be pyrotechnics up here in a thunder storm for the trees all about are blasted, torn, riven and barked by lightning bolts-as if heaven were trying to purify the earth to which the ashes of the wicked pirate had returned."A "massive oaken chest" was found among Dr. Bowman's possessions, but none of Captain Kidd's gold was found in it. Treasure hunters presumed Bowman buried the loot from his escapades with Kidd on top of the hill, and many have tried unsuccessfully to recover the treasure. The site was also supposed to be a graveyard for Revolutionary War soldiers slaughtered by Hessian mercenaries. The stones that cover the hillside are allegedly their old grave markers, and their shrieks and groans can still be heard to this day. It's also reported, in Phillylist's Philadelphia Weirdness, that the nearby bridge (the Van Sant Covered Bridge, aka Crybaby Bridge) is haunted by several spooks, including a pregnant woman who jumped off of said bridge. Legend says you can hear the cries of her child when you drive over the span.

LMAO

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems i saw a picture somewhere,an indentation of a 6 foot coil someone rested?not far from there. Maybe Paul Bunyan is looking for it.

OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildflower Preserve???

Between that and fairy rings I guess I won't be making the trip to PA to pick up my treasure.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
vor said:
Well, since I was in the neighborhood.....and it looks a whole lot better than chasing fairies:laughing7:

It is a cool place. Any body caught digging around there may end up In jail.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legend says you can hear the cries of her child when you drive over the span.

Anyone would scream driving over a bridge, they were made to cross :laughing7:

Legends are surely a fun thing to read though :icon_thumleft:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
It is a cool place. Any body caught digging around there may end up In jail.

I've lived about 10 miles from this location for over 50 years. I believe it is a State Park or Preserve of some type. I believe you would go to Jail if you were caught digging on the property. :coffee2: I think that story has about as much truth as Capt Kidd burying treasure on an Island up near Bloomsburg, Pa. As that river is not deep enough to navigate with a speed boat from the Chesapeake Bay, let a lone a ship.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Oldman, there are a couple of other problems like the rapids above Port Deposit. It was so bad they built a series of canal/locks to get around there. The dams on the river make it seem deeper today. There was one cache recovered from an island near Three Mile island where the nukes are today.

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember the most believable story on Bowman, He worked as Kidd's Doctor & Retired
to the area.
The Treasure is Speculation that he would have had a Share of the treasure.
there was also rumor of a relative of Bowman's came in with a Map
sometime early in the 1900's.

As for the treasures on the Susquehanna only one I'm aware of was the one found on an island
south of Bloomsburg in the Danville Area.

as for sailing a ship up the Susquehanna, only if it was done during a year
there was a Major Hurricane outbreak which effected Pennsylvania.

I Wouldn't rule it out completely. simply because we have no complete data on weather that far back.

or even River levels which Harrisburg is 3.4' right now
Sunbury 6.5'

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions