Bucks County & Doan Gang

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Came across this reading/research over some old Revolutionary War legends in the Eastern Pennsylvania area.
I do not believe I have ever seen it posted here.

The Doan Gang was a murderous band of outlaw brothers who amassed a considerable quantity of money and jewels during the Revolutionary War period. They buried their cache, estimated at $100,000, in the wooded hills in Bucks County, but before they could dig it up, all were killed or captured. The Doane outlaw gang is responsible for hundreds of legends and stories dating to the 1770’s. The last hideout of the gang was a cave along the Delaware River near Point Pleasant and it was here that they hid or buried $19,000 in gold coins that have yet to be found.

Another excerpt :
The following year, October 22,1781 the Doans robbed the Newtown Treasury of 1,307 Pounds, the largest robbery of Public funds ever. It is believed they did this in retaliation for the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown three days earlier. Newtown at the time was a mustering center for the Colonial Army.. the Doans' incredible bravado had to be the result of the impunity they had operated with since their first raid. From eyewitness testimony, it is believed that the outlaws fled into Wrightstown where they buried the money.. .it was never found.

There is ALOT to read on these guys & fascinating! Also, a lot to decipher on what is fact and fiction.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
any more info on the cave near point pleasant? im abt 10 min north of there

May 1, 2016
Lower Bucks County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah im 10 min south of that. I began researching this for a little while. as well as another one in bucks county. would you want to possibly team up on this

babyrazor

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2014
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deep Seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 brothers and a cousin, there where other characters that joined as well. Out of the original 5 brothers and their cousin,Moses was shot, Levi & Abraham were hung, Mahlon & Joseph escaped and Aaron was pardoned. I think that's right.
Lets suppose the "hanger oners" were paid and let go after helping and never knew where the brothers hid their "treasure". That still leaves 3 brothers who were alive after the war.These guys buried the loot, do you think they never went back and retrieved it? Caves and overhangs are always good to dig out just for the chance of some Indian artifacts but chances of a Doan gang treasure are slim to none unless the was some spillage.

Hint: caves are great location markers but it doesn't mean something is IN the cave. Don't forget to search the surrounding area as well.

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I researched this somewhat and got the New Doane book a couple years ago. It talks about the known caves that were found in the area. One cave along the Deleware River is mentioned but the author says that this cave is now covered with rocks over the years and you would never know its there. I never found that one. Another is one I found in the park and inside there are many carvings with initials and dates to early 1800's. I metal detected extensively in and around that cave as well as through the indian trail along the Tohican, but did not find anything.

Durham cave is located near Rieglesville where many indian artifacts have been found. This is where Moses was with the wolf Indian tribe after he left home. Moses is the one who buried most of the loot by himself. So even the brother's did not know where he buried it. One location has him burying a cache along the Deleware River on the PA side near Frenchtown, another on Mechanicsville Road. There are accounts that all the living brothers went to Canada. One did return years later to claim possessions, but returned quickly after learning that he was unwelcome.

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
id be interested in looking for that one by frenchtown, thats less than 2 miles from me, im straight over the hill from the frenchtown bridge

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
To tell you the truth, I don't think these guys went around robbing and stealing and carrying a shovel on their horse? If buried I'd say very shallow near a tree or perhaps under a large rock?
The Treasure in Stover park is said to have been buried or hid--Its very rocky in that park and you can't dig 2 inches without hitting rocks.
I found both caves, one small one on deer creek and the other further up the mountain that you can't even see the opening to as you enter it from the right side.
The cave is narrow (shoulder length) and ceiling is low (maybe 5 feet) and there are carvings of names and dates in the cave back to the 1800's.
At the end of the cave (maybe 7 or 8 feet), there appears to have once been either an opening to the outside or a tunnel/room that appears to be caved in.
I searched this area outside but got no hits at all.
However, in the book, there are accounts of a cave with a small opening that led to a large open area that you can stand up in.
I searched for a week but never found such a cave.

AOhike

Jan 31, 2024
IMG_7028.jpeg

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Found this gem near the areas of the Doans but not sure if it’s the right year to be part of a lost treasure.
Very nice find! 4 Reale Spanish coin 1/2 dollar used by the Colonies and US legal tender until 1857, minted in Mexico. 1787 is after the Doann but still treasure nonetheless. Great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread