jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though most time capsules contain little of monetary value, there's always that chance that someone will deface or damage them just to be a jerk. The City of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, developed an ingenious plan to prevent such vandalism when they decided to inter a time capsule in 1962. They elected a special committee to decide where the capsule should be buried and were then instructed to keep the location a secret. The men kept their word all right—perhaps a little too well.
Twenty-five years later, when the capsule was supposed to be dug up for the city's 100th anniversary in 1987, almost all of the committee members had died and none had passed on the time capsule's secret location. Only one member of the committee was still alive, and he couldn't remember where it was. To this day, the capsule is still hidden somewhere underneath the city.

Missing Time Capsule Found, Another Still Lost

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Read about things like this before. It will be a real treat when found someday. Great story of man's foolishness.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, as I don't recall hearing about this and I'm not far from that town. There's not much 'ground' around the borough building unless they go after the street.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a quick Google, I'm taking for granted this is & was the Borough Building
in 1962 ?

000.jpg

00.jpg

If that is the case & this is not Shadows on the west side of The building.
in the 1967 aerial below
it may have been buried there.
(however looking at the other Buildings it appears the Shadows are to the west.
so that may not be grass)

0.jpg

And you would be correct, Under the sidewalk or road :laughing7:

0000.jpg

Unless it was buried against the Building

Last edited:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
That be the building. As I said, not much ground. There is a small patch of ground around the bend much like that which you see in the front of the building and is narrow. A determination with a detector could be had in little time on their 'grounds'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread