missing gold in or near williamsport

Slytlytilted

Jun 19, 2007
hi all slytlytilted here, does anyone have info on or about a robbery murder that happened around williamsport back in the early 1900's? I was talking to a guy i met that does some metal detecting an he told me this story that happened around where the antlers club is and freedom road ? supposedly 80lbs of gold coin was stolen and never recovered.The murderer was caught an i think he said(my friend) that he was either the first or last guy hung in the old jail downtown. Any info would be appreciated,also info on the hermits cave on the other side of the south side mountains would be appreciated as well thanx in advance,Sly.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
Well guys Freedom Road is at the end of North Market Street and was part of the Underground Rail Road. The Antlers Club is located at the far West end of Williamsport on the Susguehanna River. And the two do not intersect or meet.

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
greywolf said:
Well guys Freedom Road is at the end of North Market Street and was part of the Underground Rail Road. The Antlers Club is located at the far West end of Williamsport on the Susguehanna River. And the two do not intersect or meet.

When I was a kid I had a paper route out Freedom Road (We called it Freedomgrove Road). Yes it was part of the Underground Railroad. I use to live on Highland Terrace when I was young. The start of Freedom Road was only about 500 feet from my back door.

There is a cemetery with Civil War graves about 1/2 mile out the road.

Greywolf, If you are from Williamsport, PM me.
Bob

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
All I ever new the road by was Blooming Grove Rd. and Freedom Road was dirt then but has been paved. It goes past an old Quarry. In the old days it was known as (N word) Hollow Rd. But that is not in use any more.

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
By Mayers Quarry was an old brewery years ago named Star Brewery. When we were young, we use to play in the caves. There are some old foundations above the cliffs at the quarry. If you go to the top of Market Street and walk in the woods to the left, you will find the foundations.
Bob

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
I remember the caves at the quarry. Last I knew a concrete contractor owns it and operates out of the area..When we were kids (a long time ago) we spent a lot of time on the top and then over to the area where the cross is. I guess it is private property now with homes up there..I do remember that I darn near fell off the cliff..The cemetary is historical and is off limits to THing....I for one would never disturb thoes who have passed on.

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
the places you are asking about ( the antlers club is located off os 4th st about 6 miles west of the center of williamsport and it is near the river and the freedom road is located at the end of Market street and it intersects with bloominggrove road and runs somewhat N from the city and is about 1-1 1/2 mile north of the center of town. and the cave you mentioned is out near duboistown or maybe the ones near nisbet . I have not been to them but have been to freedom road and antlers.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bob Pa: Hi yes I am originally from Williamsport. Left in 03 to live in Lehighton, Pa. Still have family there my Son.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No but I grew up 15 mins south of williamsport.

Maddpotter

Aug 15, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Detector(s) used
Electroscope
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all slytlytilted here, does anyone have info on or about a robbery murder that happened around williamsport back in the early 1900's? I was talking to a guy i met that does some metal detecting an he told me this story that happened around where the antlers club is and freedom road ? supposedly 80lbs of gold coin was stolen and never recovered.The murderer was caught an i think he said(my friend) that he was either the first or last guy hung in the old jail downtown. Any info would be appreciated,also info on the hermits cave on the other side of the south side mountains would be appreciated as well thanx in advance,Sly.

I know all about this story, I actually read the entire court trial that was printed out by a local company called Electroscopes in Williamsport. Everytime I drive up Bloominggrove Rd., I look around for the old tree. But for some reason I cannot find that story again and needed to know the man's name to do research on this. I remember most of the story, but cannot remember the man's name that hid the gold before he was hanged. It has always intrigued me. I live a couple miles from Bloominggrove Rd. If anyone has any info. on his name I would appreciate it. Thank you

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Juniata sentinel. (Mifflintown, Pa.), 30 July 1873.

oooo0.jpg

Juniata sentinel. (Mifflintown, Pa.) 1846-1873, July 30, 1873, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread