Spanish Silver Mine near Greenwood?

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm doing some historical research on Spanish era mining in the Appalachians, and stumbled across a reference to a Spanish mine legend on Coronaka Creek, near Greenwood.

According to an early history of South Carolina,* In the early 1800’s, a group of Revolutionary War veterans searched for a Spanish silver mine on Coronaka Creek, in the District of Abbeville, near the old Rock Church, northeast of Greenwood, South Carolina. According to legends, the mine had been worked by the Spanish, but most of the Spanish miners were killed by the Cherokee, and the mine was hidden by the tribe. The mine was supposedly 2 miles east of a local feature known as the "Pointing Rock." The veterans sank a shaft 60-70 feet on a hillside above the east bank of Coronaka, a little way south of “old Captain Slunge,” John Calhoun’s Revolutionary tub-mill, but never found anything.

Would appreciate any information others might have on this.

* Logan, John H. A History of the Upper Country of South Carolina from the Earliest Periods to the Close of the War of Independence. Charleston, Columbia: S.G Courtenay & Co., P.B. Glass, 1859. https://archive.org/stream/historyofupperco00loga

Jan 20, 2010
Greenwood, S.C.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT, TDI
Fisher F75
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab GPX 5000, Explorer SE
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flex I am not sure what you may/may not know about Greenwood, SC. I have lived in this area my whole life. I have heard lots of folklore about this Silver mine you are asking about. Go to Greenwood, SC GIS web site and type in these coordinates (Lat. 34.229122 , Long. -82.113575) Rock Presbyterian Church on Rock Church Road NW. Road Rock Church Road is off Highway 72/221 going out of Greenwood towards Coronaca.
There is a historical road sign about Fransis Salvador and his plantation. Type in Fransis Salvador historical marker in google and you should find the complete write up with pictures. His plantation is believed to be the land at the sign and on Christian Road which is the next road below the sign. You can see this on the Greenwood GIS site as well. While on the Greenwood GIS site, change the map to Terrain and see the contour of the land. You will see possible divits in the terrain or what could be holes (Mine shafts?, Mined Granite rock for the church?), also why you have the GIS site changed to Terrain look at surrounding area at the church. This is said to be either the mine site or the site where they mined the rock for the church. Have fun!! Would be great to hear from you and what your thoughts are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flex

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Spanish Silver Mine Near Greenwood?

Clem,

Thanks for the information. I've found the old rock church on Google maps, but it is not clear where in the vicinity the mine was supposed to have been located. One legend was that it was 2 miles east of "The Pointing Rock" which was, itself, "close on the side of the old Keowee trail" near the old rock church. A group of early settlers dug a 60-70 foot shaft on the east side of Coronaka Creek looking for the mine, but they were apparently being advised by someone with a divining rod, and didn't find anything.

I've attached a pdf with the relevant pages from Logan for anyone who might be interested.

Flex

Attachments

• Excerpt from Logan on Silver Mine on Coronaka Creek 021318.pdf
    401.1 KB · Views: 177

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread