Jesuit Father DeSmets Secret Gold Mine in the Black Hills

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Jesuit Father DeSmet's Secret Gold Mine in the Black Hills

The Secret Gold Mine of Father DeSmet

"The following story, copied from the St. Louis Globe- Democrat, go to show how advantage was taken of the authority of Father DeSmet: "Early in the '60's, at a dinner given Father DeSmet, the celebrated Indian missionary, at the St. Louis University, Barney Caulfield, late member of Congress from Chicago, happened to be one of the guests entertained at the dinner. This was long before the Black Hill gold fever broke out, but the conversation turning upon the rich mineral deposits of the country, Father DeSmet, who had been in the wildest portion of the West during his missionary work, related how he had discovered most extraordinary gold deposits in the Black Hill country while digging into a mountain, and said that after finding the precious ore he had again carefully covered it up. Those present at the table used eveay effort to induce him to locate his wonderful find, but he firmly declined to do so, giving as his reason that he did not wish his children (the Indians) to be disturbed. Although repeatedly urged to do so, Father DeSmet never divulged the secret.

"When the Black Hill fever took so many miners to Dead- wood, immense deposits of gold ore were discovered around Deadwood and Central, one of the prospectors found what he believed the identical mine of which Father DeSmet had spoken. The news went back to St. Louis, and the capitalists were excited. Hon. B. Caulfield proceeded to Deadwood, secured an option on the mine at low and favorable figures, and brought the same to St. Louis. This option he shared with Judge J. C. Normile, who in turn took into the syndicate Erastus Wells, Edwin Harrison, the Locker Brothers, then in the banking business, L. M. Rumsey, H. L. Dousman and S. C. Gaty. The money was all raised and deposited in the bank, save the subscription of Mr. Gaty. This gentleman very mysteriously withheld his share of the fund, promising to pay from day to day, all the time urgently requesting that he be permitted to continue in the syndicate. There was another gentleman ready and eager to take his place, but at his own solicitation Mr. Gaty was kept in.

" Time swept by, and it was getting uncomfortably close to the date when the money must be in Deadwood to reap the benefit of the option of the mine, and still Mr. Gaty's subscription was not forthcoming. At last Judge Normile, seeing the danger of losing the prize, had Mr. Gaty's name struck off, and permitted H. L. Dousman to double his subscription, and Mr. Wm. Locker then started for Dead- wood to close the deal. Under ordinary circumstances he could have made the journey in ample time, with forty- eight hours to spare. It was early in November when he started, and as ill-luck would have it, a severe snowstorm set in, unusually early for that region, and Mr. Locker was detained between Cheyenne and Deadwood until thirty hours after the option had expired. The value of the property had been raised abroad and a syndicate of wealthy Californians had sent representatives to Deadwood to secure the prize if possible. They made an offer largely in advance of the price which the St. Louis party had the option to purchase and the Californians anxiously awaited the action of the St. Louis syndicate.

" All of the last day that the option held good representatives of the California party were at the Deadwood bauk and others at the stage office scanning the horizon and hoping that the St. Louisans would not put in an appearance, yet fearing that they might. It was a day of intense excitement to them, as they afterwards acknowledged, and when the sun sank below the western horizon and the St. Louisans came not the hearts of the Californians were gladdened. They immediately closed the contract at double the figure at which the mine could have been secured by the St. Louis syndicate, paid the cash, and the prize was theirs.

" By this unfortunate delay the St. Louis party lost perhaps the richest mine in America! When the Californians secured it they immediately stocked it for ten millions of dollars."

So far the story. The price paid was $400,000 and today the mill which was to reduce the inexhaustible body of ore, is running continuously upon ore taken from the Deadwood-Terry mines owned by the Homestake Company."
<from PahaSapa, or The Black Hills of South Dakota: A Complete History of the Gold and Wonder-land of the Dakotas, from the Remotest Date Up to the Present ...By Peter Rosen
Published by Nixon-Jones Print. Co., 1895>
428750138_c1bd5117d4.jpg

<Homestake gold mine, SD>

So what do you think - was the secret gold mine of Father DeSmet one and the same with the Homestake? The Homestake mine was not known for very rich ore, rather it was of a somewhat low-grade, but large in volume. Could the original gold vein found by Father DeSmet still remain un-discovered, somewhere in the Black Hills? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Re: Jesuit Father DeSmet's Secret Gold Mine in the Black Hills

Cynangel - how shameless! :o ;D No opinion, viz the Homestake mine?
???

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Totally shameless in fact! It's a case of I had never even heard this legend and I sure wanna hear all the input! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Gotcha amigo - as you probably guessed I am "fishing" here too. There are a number of references that say Father DeSmet had found a gold vein in the hills but kept it secret, but little info as to -where- he had happened on it. There was a dug shaft found in Rutabaga gulch that obviously predated the official 1874 discovery of gold - yet there is practically NO gold in Rutabaga gulch. Heck our dirt here in the back yard has more gold than you find in Rutabaga gulch, and that is danged little! ;D :wink:

What bothers me is that Father DeSmet's gold vein was "extraordinarily" rich - that it was so obvious he knew instantly that it was rich gold ore. The Homestake ore is remarkable NOT for being rich. Here is an example

Ro-094.jpg

the yellowish spots are pyrites - there is no visible gold in most Homestake ore. It was not recognized as gold ore by many prospectors, until one decided to check it out. As much as Jesuit padres were well educated, would DeSmet instantly recognize Homestake ore as a rich gold vein? Homestake ore averaged around 1/5 ounce per ton. Many gold mines in the Black Hills had far richer ore than that - up to 50 ounces per ton or more. I am not convinced that the Homestake mine was Father DeSmet's gold vein.
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

It certainly doesn't sound like it if prospectors are not even recognizing it as gold ore. Obviously would need to look in different places....yet, what places if there is little written as to where?

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Cynangel wrote
Obviously would need to look in different places....yet, what places if there is little written as to where?

Well I am hoping others may have some more specific information. There are other versions of how Father DeSmet found the gold too - such as this one, recorded by Annie Tallent, first white woman in the Black Hills

http://books.google.com/books?id=GP...s&lr=&num=20&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES#PPA18,M1
it is reminiscent of other tales of gold bullets used by Indians, and quite different from the story of Father DeSmet digging into the hillside and spotting a gold vein.

This version, found in a report that casts doubts on Father DeSmet's claims to having knowledge of the gold, gives a LITTLE detail

""Laveille further asserts that on another occasion Father De Smet learned from a reliable Indian that on one summit of the Black Hills the interstices of the rocks were filled with golden sand and he attempts to prove this statement by a letter which Father De Smet wrote to General Pleasanton in 1865.9 In this letter Father De Smet refers to the rumor of gold on the headwaters of Pointed Arrow or Flint creek "
<http://books.google.com/books?id=6j...ES&pg=PA91&ci=107,874,749,206&source=bookclip>

A book on the life of Father DeSmet tells of his discovery of the gold in 1840, while climbing a peak he noticed the "torrent" (creek) bed seemed to be literally filled with gold.

Actually I have a pretty good "lead" on where to find the lost Standoff Bar gold mine, can't wait for a bit of warm weather (and no work needing done) to go and check out the spot. Considering the location, it just might "fit" the description of a "torrent" one would pass while climbing up a mountain side.
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

a bit of warm weather AND no work needing to be done?! Is there such a thing?

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

LOL - hey, a guy can DREAM right? :tongue3:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Dang I must be getting senile ::) - it completely slipped that I wanted to point out - most of the versions of Father DeSmet's discovery of gold have been what we would call PLACER - not a vein of gold in host rock, but loose gold - as in "gold nuggets" they cast for bullets, or "gold sand" filling the cracks of the rock, or the bed of a torrent. Based on DeSmet's own letters, I tend to think it was likely placer, but can't rule out lode gold just yet. This is my second point of issue (negative) with identifying the Homestake mine with Father DeSmet's gold.
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Of course you can dream mi amigo! We would not have much interest in treasure hunting if we didn't have at least a bit of the dreamer in us to get us hooked! :wink: Balanced with educated research the dreamer would make the best treasure hunter I would think and I believe you could qualify easily! :icon_study:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

smiley-ashamed002.gif
<BLUSH> THANK YOU Cynangel - I just hope our amigo Real de Tayopa isn't reading this or he will never let me live it down! ;D :D :wink:
your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

medmaker

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2009
Houston, Texas

I don't know about Father DeSmet, but I have been trying to find info about the Spanish in the Black Hills. My father found a cave in the Black Hills with an old Spanish helmet in it when he was a boy (early 1930's). A Spanish dagger was found in Wyoming just outside the Black Hills. My dad also found a stone with markings on it in the Black Hills (he didn't know what Spanish markings were likely to look like at the time). Unfortunately, he showed the stone to a "friend" who went back at a later date and removed it. My dad did have the markings copied onto paper but that seems to have disappeared with his death. Anyway, does anyone have stories or sources that talk about the Spanish being in the Black Hills? Forgive me if I don't elaborate on where any of the above mentioned finds were made. It's a story I am researching.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

medmaker said:
I don't know about Father DeSmet, but I have been trying to find info about the Spanish in the Black Hills. My father found a cave in the Black Hills with an old Spanish helmet in it when he was a boy (early 1930's). A Spanish dagger was found in Wyoming just outside the Black Hills. My dad also found a stone with markings on it in the Black Hills (he didn't know what Spanish markings were likely to look like at the time). Unfortunately, he showed the stone to a "friend" who went back at a later date and removed it. My dad did have the markings copied onto paper but that seems to have disappeared with his death. Anyway, does anyone have stories or sources that talk about the Spanish being in the Black Hills? Forgive me if I don't elaborate on where any of the above mentioned finds were made. It's a story I am researching.

WELCOME TO TREASURENET Medmaker! :hello2: :thumbsup:

That sounds like a very interesting lead to follow up! Unfortunately there are few records of Spanish expeditions to the Black Hills area, but even so there is evidence they did visit the area - perhaps before 1550!

Here are a few sources:
http://books.google.com/books?id=o5...ls dakota&pg=PA47#v=snippet&q=spanish&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?ei=TK...+dakota&q=spanish#v=snippet&q=spanish&f=false

Is it possible that the Spanish helmet might have been French? The type of helmet normally called (and assumed to be) Spanish is actually named a "Comb Morion" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morion_(helmet) type helmet, and while the Spanish are most famous for their use of them, the same style of helmet was also used by the English, French, Dutch, and several others in the same time period, with slight differences between nationalities. I can not tell the difference between an English comb morion and a Spanish one, but the experts can. Any way the only reason I ask is that there are several French expeditions that are documented into the Black Hills, so it would not be impossible to find French armor or helmets too. Also, the plains Indians were raiding and trading with Spaniards far to the south in New Mexico and could have obtained Spanish armor from that route. Not saying what your father found was not Spanish, just asking.

<Replica European comb morion helmet>
comb-morion-helm-8102.jpg

<from http://www.knightsedge.com/p-62-european-comb-morion-helm.aspx>
The museum in Rawlins (Wyoming) has a collection of Spanish artifacts that proves a Spanish expedition had passed through there, with no record of it; and the place outside of Lusk known as "Spanish Diggins" is often thought to be a place where the early Spanish explorers did some prospecting.

Good luck to you, wish I could be of more help and I hope that you will keep us posted with your discoveries! :icon_thumright:
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

medmaker

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2009
Houston, Texas

Thanks for the info! The helmet sure could have been French. Since the helmet is not in the family to examine, I don't know what it was. I was just relaying the story as told to me by my dad. I don't think that he actually took the helmet from the cave but he did take something and got a heckuva beating for it because his dad thought that he was lying and had actually stolen the item from someone. And there the story ends....well, except for the general location of the cave that is. He did relay that on to me too, but THAT part I will keep in the family for the time being.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008

hello oro and friends
Just thought I would share a little local tale I heard years ago.
I live approximately 130 miles north of the Black Hills.
There are issolated high buttes in this area topped with rock.
The glaciers and erosion apparently carried off most of the landscape
leaving rock covered buttes with jagged edges. The caves along the
edges can go under these buttes for some ways.
Anyways, the local legend is that a spanish (french or who knows,
the legend says spanish) helmet and some other artifacts where
found deep in one of these caves by an early homesteader.
This area was homesteaded around 1900, possibly earlier, my
grandparents homesteaded here around 1909. No one seems
to know what became of these items.
Just thought I would share that little story, not intending to
highjack this thread... I have to wonder why would early
explorers be leaving helmets laying around, lol.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hola amigos and thank you Pronghorn that is a great story, would be worth checking out further.

Sorry I had a heck of a time finding this with the new format, getting a rather bad opinion of this deal as I can't track down the various discussions that I posted in or what got new replies. So if you don't see me reply again you will know why - I can't find the frigging thing. I don't know about this deal.

medmaker

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi Pronghorn,

Great question! Why and how did the early explorers leave so much of their armor, weaponry, etc. behind? I've detected spots in the Black Hills where the cavalry had either been running from or chasing indians and there was always so many uniform buttons, pieces of harness, brass, etc. Makes me wonder how the military even kept their uniforms on if they were always losing so many buttons. I would imagine that the armor from early explorers was probably heavy and as individual soldiers died, their armor may have been stashed with the intent of returning to retrieve it for some reason? It's a mystery to me.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Father DeSmet's notes and a map to the location were found in the house he died in, in Saint Louis. I have the newspaper date and article.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread