The "Old Record" lost gold mine

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
The "Old Record" lost gold mine

One of the richest gold strikes in the Black Hills was due to an accident; several black prospectors came into Deadwood inquiring about where to look for gold, and were told to go search off to the west of town, where a rich lost gold mine supposedly was, known as the "Old Record" mine. The men dutifully went out to the area where they had been told to look, and struck it rich. They never did find the "Old Record" mine but the location of their discovery became famous as "N-r Hill" (no disrespect intended to anyone, that is just what it became known as).

Placer-Mining.jpg

<Placer gold miners working in the Black Hills, Dakota Territory, photo borrowed from http://www.old-picture.com/old-west/pictures/Placer-Mining.jpg under Fair Use>

I have seen this story of the Old Record lost mine mentioned several times in early newspapers from Deadwood and Custer, but have no other information on it. I would appreciate any information that anyone could share on this local legend. Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Re: The "Old Record" lost gold mine

Ref what you refer to as N-r hill, the co-ordinates to this area are:
44 22 48N, 104 03 05W;
SW1/4, Sec 19, T5N, R1E;
Lawrence County.
The area is where Tinton, SD is. Most of the property is private as
of my last checking. Permission would be needed. It is located to
the South West of Spearfish, SD.
Bring up "Flash Earth",(which I believe is the best satellite pics
available), enter 44 22 48N, 104 03 05W, and it will take you to
the exact area. You will be able to see all the diggings on the map.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Re: The "Old Record" lost gold mine

Welcome to Treasurenet Goodie Hunter! :hello2: :hello:

Thank you for the info - yes Tinton is pretty well private land, and my post may have been somewhat confusing - for the black prospectors had been sent out to look for the "Old Record" which was a lode gold mine, not placer, but struck it rich on N-r Hill instead. Still looking for any details on the Old Record, which may or may not be related to the Thoen Stone? It was considered an old mine in 1876, which would fit in that regard and is not too terribly distant from where the Thoen Stone was later discovered.

Thanks again and I hope you have a great day!
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread