Henry Thomas saddlebag legend

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have only ever heard a very brief description of this treasure legend. If I'm not mistaken, it's said to be somewhere around Custer? Care to share any more information? If not, that's cool, I respect what you might know and don't want to share.

This is completely off-topic, but this thread kind of got me thinking about it. I was talking to a guy a while back about treasures and stuff in the Hills, he was telling me he remembered hearing a story of a few guys around Keystone "a few years back" finding quite a nice cache of old silver (I take it to be in the form of coins or bars/rounds) buried somewhere in that area.I never recall hearing anything like that myself. Just thought it would be cool if someone else here could confirm it for me. I strongly believe that there's a lot more out in the Hills here than what most people realize, I'm sure there are treasures and ore lodes out there to be found yet that would be mind-blowing to most people!

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maitland said:
I have only ever heard a very brief description of this treasure legend. If I'm not mistaken, it's said to be somewhere around Custer? Care to share any more information? If not, that's cool, I respect what you might know and don't want to share.

This is completely off-topic, but this thread kind of got me thinking about it. I was talking to a guy a while back about treasures and stuff in the Hills, he was telling me he remembered hearing a story of a few guys around Keystone "a few years back" finding quite a nice cache of old silver (I take it to be in the form of coins or bars/rounds) buried somewhere in that area.I never recall hearing anything like that myself. Just thought it would be cool if someone else here could confirm it for me. I strongly believe that there's a lot more out in the Hills here than what most people realize, I'm sure there are treasures and ore lodes out there to be found yet that would be mind-blowing to most people!
Yeah. In the Custer/French Creek area. We have zero expectations, but the legend and geography/mapping distances actually match up pretty well. There are also many reports of gold being panned out of French Creek, so we'll have fun doing that as well. It all looks like public land, too.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Just found the thread, posting a TAG post so I can follow up. About the only info I can add is that Henry Thomas is listed among the Gordon party so was a real person, and that when he went out, he turned up in Fort Laramie. The story of the Gordon party is told in Annie Talent's book which you can read online (free) at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=GPA0AAAAIAAJ&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Annie Talent was the first white woman in the Black Hills and it was quite an adventure, the book is a good read.

Oroblanco

PS HOWDY to my amigo themarkd and thank you for starting the thread!

I have a newspaper article mentioning Thomas arriving in Ft. Laramie, but it is an Adobe file; I can email it to anyone on request just drop me a note. Here is an extract from it, quote

Yesterday, J. Newton Warren, of Wichita. Kannas, arrived in Cheyenne direct from Custer Valley, in the Black Hills. He, in company with Daniel McDonald, from Eau Claire, Wis., J. J. Williams, from Winfield, Kansas, and Henry Thomas, from St. Louis, left Custer Valley on foot, with two pack animals to carry their blankets and grub, on Sunday, the 8th of this month, and reached Fort Laramie on the morning of the l5th. The three last named are still at Fort Laramie.
<from Cheyenne Daily Leader no. 151 March 18, 1875, page 4>

OP
OP
themarkd

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Email sent, good sir. 8)

Top Member Reactions