Lost Treasures of the Black Hills

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Very cool! Please keep us posted when it will be available to buy, thanks in advance.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure will, we plan to take what is left of SD and add ND and call that Lost Treasures of the Dakota's.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I found for Meade County that the listing by Thomas Terry for the 450 lbs of gold buried along Lame Johnny Creek is in error, since the creek appears not to be in that county. Johnny creek is there, so is the listing wrong or is just the creek name wrong? Lots to check into on this stuff. Still I would not suggest buying the book, it is intended for tourist traffic.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of map making and only to page 184 at this point. The Wyoming series is starting to get picked up by museums, the Black Hills I intend to get into Wall Drug and that museum in Deadwood with the Thoen Stone on display.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Today I found for Meade County that the listing by Thomas Terry for the 450 lbs of gold buried along Lame Johnny Creek is in error, since the creek appears not to be in that county. Johnny creek is there, so is the listing wrong or is just the creek name wrong? Lots to check into on this stuff. Still I would not suggest buying the book, it is intended for tourist traffic.

Terry had it wrong. He was a newspaper man, and got most of his source materials from the old newspaper archives, didn't check them out just compiled them into the Atlas series. A lot of guys hate him for that but I appreciate that someone went to the trouble he did. I do wish he had taken the time to list his sources however, and there are some duplications which he did not seem to notice.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
He did a lot of work putting it together, he condensed it down to basic info to fit the books. To better understand him and what he did one needs to read all of his works. Then they will see he did travel across the country to several places out west, New Orleans (treasure hunting) and the Library of Congress (research). Someone claims he borrowed from Penfield, but the truth is they used the same source material. I found how Terry did it and am recreating it in reverse, expanding them into full stories. The Museums for these areas are jumping on carrying them. Terry did 26 books I believe, I am nearing 20. So when I am done with the Black Hills, Oroblanco you get a free copy.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
He did a lot of work putting it together, he condensed it down to basic info to fit the books. To better understand him and what he did one needs to read all of his works. Then they will see he did travel across the country to several places out west, New Orleans (treasure hunting) and the Library of Congress (research). Someone claims he borrowed from Penfield, but the truth is they used the same source material. I found how Terry did it and am recreating it in reverse, expanding them into full stories. The Museums for these areas are jumping on carrying them. Terry did 26 books I believe, I am nearing 20. So when I am done with the Black Hills, Oroblanco you get a free copy.

WOW thank you in advance!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Might as well PM your mailing address. I also have the Lost Treasures of the Dakota's book to proof on my plate this evening.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Might as well PM your mailing address. I also have the Lost Treasures of the Dakota's book to proof on my plate this evening.

Will do, thanks again! Also, I would be just as happy with a digital version, it would save you any printing costs and shipping etc if you have it in digital form.
Roy

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a few of his leads where he had the county wrong and some that I question. This buried Metz family gold in Red Canyon, is one of them. They were moving at the time, not camped. One person survived and gave a newspaper account, well it will be in the book.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
7 pages left to proof read, been slow going due to medical appointments, then it is time to work on corrections. Several leads have been narrowed down to topo map regions. Imagine getting that close! It is the material of those reality treasure hunting tv shows, after all I did get on one doing this stuff.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a bunch of likes on this thread, here is the Black Hills cover and the Dakotas cover, but I want a change on the Dakotas one since the center picture is Deadwood which is in the Black Hills. Black Hills.jpg Dakotas.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Corrections are underway on the Black Hills book and we decided to make changes to both book covers.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The Black Hills cover was redone, corrections are slowly underway. Monday I had a heart procedure and am only working part time for the coming week. Just tired a lot lately.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This one went up yesterday and I ordered a proof copy. Once that is back I will look it over before hitting the publish button. Hopefully we caught anything that needed fixing, getting a proof copy is mainly for seeing if the cover is centered. It is 386 pages.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The book is now out there for purchase on Amazon. Looks like I will contact the Adams Museum and Wall Drug.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

I ordered one and it well be shipped to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread