office. Soon after the war there were many bands
of evil soldiers going through the country robbing
and killing. A.H. became afraid and buried a pan of
gold and silver. That same night a band of men
called him out and when he refused to tell them
where his money was, they shot and killed him. His
wife, Mary A. McKinnon and children, could never
locate the buried money. During the first year of
their marriage, 1845, Alexander and Mary A.
moved west from Carthage, North Carolina. Mary's
maiden name was Muse and was said to be a
distant cousin of George Washington. When A.H.
was shot, Mary A. was left with three girls and two
boys... John B., his brother, Sandy, his sisters,
Elizebeth, Madge and Sadie.

Alexander served as Postmaster of Montezuma, TN from
27 December 1850 to March 1860 according to "TN Post
Offices and Postmaster appointments 1789 to 1984", compiled
by D.R. Frazier, 929.368 F848t.

The 1860 edition of the TN State Gazetteer and Business
Directory published by John L. Mitchell shows a listing under
the Village of Montezuma for A.H. McKinnon. In bold print it
shows him to be General Merchant, Sewing Machine Agent,
and Justice of the Peace.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Gypsy Heart, skypilot02 here! Thank you so much for your very helpful and informative posts'! Like CWNut, and several others, you give unselfishly of your time and information, without so much as a "Thank You", from most of us. I realize you do this because you are a fine person, and not for "credit", so to speak, but you definitely deserve credit and recognition for your selfless efforts!! Great hunting and good luck!! Respectfully, Richard.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanks George and Richard....I am just hoping that someone from Tnet will find a big cache due to one of these leads! Good Luck to everyone searching!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Gypsy Heart, If one of us happens to do so, then the unselfish person who provided the lead should get a cut for sure!! :thumbsup: Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
skypilot02 said:
Gypsy Heart, If one of us happens to do so, then the unselfish person who provided the lead should get a cut for sure!! :thumbsup: Regards, Richard.

Yee Haw Richard...then I hope everyone finds one ! :wink:

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I can just find out where in the heck is Montezuma, TN? I've never heard of it although there are lot of old towns/settlements I've never heard of. I'll check with my 94 year old dad who had to learn every town/city in a 3 state area when he worked for the railway mail carriers back in the 40's.

P.S. Well duh...I just googled it and found it right away. Gotta love the internet!

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if I can just find out where in the heck is Montezuma, TN. I've never heard of it although there are lot of old towns/settlements I've never heard of. I'll check with my 94 year old dad who had to learn every town/city in a 3 state area when he worked for the railway mail carriers back in the 40's.

P.S. Well duh...I just googled it and found it right away. It's just a few miles away from "Sweet Lips" TN. I kid you not! Gotta love the internet!

JFord

Greenie
Sep 28, 2010
Hey david, if you have a chance would you mind asking your dad where Brawley, TN is (or used to be) on a map?

had a reference to it, but doesn't seem to exist currently and can't find mention of it elsewhere, help would be great thanks!

Kinshipknight

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2010
This is all fascinating to me. I signed up for this forum, thinking of treasures as in "Historic treasures", even though I knew that the "Hunting" with metal detectors and all was the main focus. But it's subjects like this, that link history to actually finding things left behind from those moments, that interest me. I'm from Tennessee, and I love going to historic places, and so I may have to head down Montezuma way sometime. Thanks for that map showing that it is "McNairy County" (which is also home of Buford Pusser of Walking Tall fame)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions