Ghosts and Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In a holler in East Tennessee lies a buried treasure that no one has ever been able to dig up, although many have tried. The aggravating fact is that most treasure hunters know exactly where almost $1 million in gold bars is buried. The problem is that the treasure is guarded by a very noisy, very horrible ghost. One day, in 1863, a Confederate wagon train laden with gold was hijacked by Union raiders in Knox County. After a bloody fire fight every one of the Southern troops were killed -- all except one colonel who pleaded for mercy. The raiders were a hard-hearted bunch who decided to bury the gold in a large hole in a holler, and they wanted no witnesses. They wanted to return later to recover the gold for themselves. So they threw the unfortunate Rebel officer into the hole and dropped the heavy chest of gold right on top of him. Then they filled in the hole with dirt, burying the severely injured colonel alive. After the peace was signed the four surviving raiders met in Knoxville and made plans to retrieve their treasure. They got pretty rowdy that night, talked loud, and nearly everyone in the saloon heard them. But they thought it was just "drunk talk" and thought nothing more about it -- until later. The former raiders had brought a ragged old wagon and as they approached the spot where the gold was buried the horses were suddenly spooked. The animals reared, bellowed, and danced around, and would go no further. "What do you suppose is wrong with these old nags?" one of the men asked. "Don't know," another man answered, "but we'll leave them tied to a tree. We'll walk in and haul the gold out ourselves." Armed with picks and shovels, the men walked 300 feet into the holler. The mound of earth was still there but was now overgrown with briars and weeds. The four men began digging. A half hour later, one of the shovels hit something that sounded like the hollow chunk of wood. The men jumped into the hole and began scooping dirt with their bare hands. Suddenly one of the men yelped and jumped back. He had uncovered the bones of a human hand, as well as part of an arm. The rest of the diggers chided the man who had yelled in surprise. Just as the men were trying to figure out how the colonel had managed to get his arm around the box, the bones began to move. Then another bony hand appeared from beneath the dirt. Then the box itself started to move. The panicked men jumped out of the hole and stood on the edge looking down. The box began to tip to its side and a set of bony arms seemed to be pushing it away. Then a skull appeared from beneath the box. It's jaw was gaping and it was leering at them. The men dropped their tools and ran for their horses. When they got to the spot where they had tied the animals, the horses were gone -- and so was the wagon. Then they turned and saw the whole skeleton of the dead Confederate colonel standing beside them. It's uniform was caked with dirt and in tatters. The bony arm was pointing straight at them and it's gaping jaw bore the unmistakable expression of revenge. The raiders were never seen again in Knoxville or in Knox County. Some say the ghost of the Confederate colonel threw all of them into the hole with the treasure and buried THEM alive. At any rate the hole was filled back in, by someone, and the treasure is said to still be there. To this day whenever treasure hunters approach the treasure site, they can hear the rattling of bones and they know to get out of there fast -- or else.
http://members.tripod.com/~lindaluelinn/index-24.html

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story Gypsy!

I would LOVE to know where that is, I would try it (I think, hehe).

:o

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
me too and i only live 45 min from there.LOL!

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy pleeeeease if you want to give more info, I would be so excited to go for it. :)

Thanks, Twister

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
count me in..........i aint skeered of no ghost......I'll get Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd to go with us lol

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Trying to get more clues on this for you guys. All I know now it was near Knoxville and I am searching the wagon trail routes of the Confederates so I can see where this took place :)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty-Graw said:
count me in..........i aint skeered of no ghost......I'll get Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd to go with us lol
Who you gonna call??????...lol If we get enough together..don't think the ghost could get all of us 'fore' we get the treasure..lol

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I've been born & raised in the south... I'll go pick it up for us!! ;) I drive up that way anyway on my trip back up to college at the end of the Summer. Heh! I'd probably just use it to form a professional group of treasure hunters that I've hand picked from my friends here on T-Net... that way we'll never get bored and *always* have something to do! I always thought it'd be sweet to have a full-out treasure hunting museum. But then again, some of us may break into the business of thievery... lol

Bran <><

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dixie Digger said:
me too and i only live 45 min from there.LOL!

Do you think we could all camp in your yard? I think this would be a blast to hunt. I better start weaving garlic necklaces, melting my silver into crucifixes and stocking up on holy water and anything else you guys can think of .... :o....Let me know what you all think....If you need to contact me ....I will be at church ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread