ANYONE HERE EVER SEARCH FOR THE LOST BOWIE OR LOST BEN SUBLETT MINE??

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..................JUST WONDERING SINCE BOTH SITES ARE IN TEXAS!!.............The lost Ben Sublett mine is very interesting since there is proof that he did find gold and that also that he told/showed the mines location to at least 3 people who could not relocate the mine!!...................JOE

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live just North of Austin, I always wanted to search for either one, especially Ben Sublets mine! I am hoping to get a Garrett with a 2 box detector sometime this year, hopefully by the end of summer.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.................PROBABLY DON'T NEED A DETECTOR TO FIND THE LOST BEN SUBLETT MINE..................From what I have read this is located in a cave...................and may actually been deposited there by the Apache Indians.......................according to the stories........... the cave floor is littered with large gold nuggets........................I'm just wondering if old Ben did not cover up the entrance before his death..............................He made many trips to the site................but would only bring back about $1000.00 to $1500.00 per trip ..............Also some of his trips were a lot shorter than others............making some speculate whether he had made several caches in the area!!....................................Joe

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Did a small bit of reading some old material about Ol Ben Sublett. If I am not mistaken I think that most of the land that it was supposedly located on is state owned.

There are some newspaper clips floating around here on Tnet about him and the story. Good story.

HH

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
............ACTUALLY IT MAY BE IN THE GUADALUPEE NATIONAL PARK.......IF IT IS ON THE TEXAS SIDE.....................some report it being on the New Mexico side!!.................If it is in the National Park...........................I believe that a permit can be acquired..(IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE!).........................doing a lot of reading concerning this mine lately......................it is a lot of gold stored in a cave or mine shaft...........a metal detector would do no good in this case.................so just actually looking for it would cause no problems!!.................The problem is that old Ben made many trips to this mine and may have hidden the entrance or maybe a cave-in concealed the opening..................NEVERTHELESS...............MEN HAVE BEEN SEEKING THIS GOLD MINE FOR OVER 100 YEARS............and it has not been found yet!!................JOE

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Joe(TX) said:
............ACTUALLY IT MAY BE IN THE GRADALUPEE NATIONAL PARK.......IF IT IS ON THE TEXAS SIDE.....................some report it being on the New Mexico side!!.................If it is in the National Park...........................I believe that a permit can be acquired..(IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE!).........................doing a lot of reading concerning this mine lately......................it is a lot of gold stored in a cave or mine shaft...........a metal detector would do no good in this case.................so just actually looking for it would cause no problems!!.................The problem is that old Ben made many trips to this mine and may have hidden the entrance or maybe a cave-in concealed the opening..................NEVERTHELESS...............MEN HAVE BEEN SEEKING THIS GOLD MINE FOR OVER 100 YEARS............and it has not been found yet!!................JOE

Its known that Ben found something, he always had gold and always spent it around town.

Have you ever done any research on his son that he may have took to the site?

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.............JASON...............BEN SUBLETT'S SON SPENT MOST OF HIS ADULT LIFE SEARCHING FOR THIS MINE..................His father took him to the site when he was 9 years old but being a child did not pay attention to the local.....................Ben had a lot of money but did not believe in living in squandor!! He liked the idea of the location of the mine dying with him............which he did................JOE

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Joe(TX) said:
.............JASON...............BEN SUBLETT'S SON SPENT MOST OF HIS ADULT LIFE SEARCHING FOR THIS MINE..................His father took him to the site when he was 9 years old but being a child did not pay attention to the local.....................Ben had a lot of money but did not believe in living in squandor!! He liked the idea of the location of the mine dying with him............which he did................JOE

That's the same thing I read about his son Ross. Put your hiking boots on, I think that would be your greatest asset to finding his mine. Someday someone will find it I am convinced. Its one story that has a lot of meat to it and eyewitnesses to back up the data. If I lived near there I would hike it weekly. There are so many peaks, caves and caverns out in those mountains. For some reason I always thought New Mexico. I hope that you get a chance to do some searching out there and take some pictures, I would love to see a document hunt.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,533
OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......JASON ..........THANKS FOR THE PIC OF THE TEXAS STATE HISTORICAL MARKER................I LIVE A LONG WAYS OFF TOO ..................BUT THIS MAY CALL FOR A SUMMER OR SPRING VACATION TRIP!!............WHAT DO YOU THINK??..................JOE

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Joe(TX) said:
.......JASON ..........THANKS FOR THE PIC OF THE TEXAS STATE HISTORICAL MARKER................I LIVE A LONG WAYS OFF TOO ..................BUT THIS MAY CALL FOR A SUMMER OR SPRING VACATION TRIP!!............WHAT DO YOU THINK??..................JOE

It would make for a great trip in the Spring before the rattlesnakes start to move around a lot more. I have toyed with the idea for a few years about making the run with a few buddies but never got past the idea. Good thing about searching for that treasure is that no matter what what you find the scenery is a treasure in itself. Its a no loose trip if you ask me. Hiking, climbing and spelunking just adds to the fun.

The further you go back before ol Ben about the mine and other areas around there pretty interesting stuff. That mine that Sublett found cannot be the only one. The Indians knew of many areas.

You opened back up my interest Joe!

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Here ya go. A copy and paste from http://goldminehunter.com/

"If anybody wants my mine," he would say, "let him go out and hunt for it like I did. People have laughed at me and called me a fool. The plains of the Pecos and the peaks of the Guadalupes have been my only friends. They are my home. When I die, I want to be buried with the Guadalupes in sight of my grave on one side and the Pecos on the other. I am going to carry this secret with me so that for years and years after I am gone people will remember me and talk about 'the rich gold mine old man Sublett found.' I will leave something behind me to talk about."

- Ben Sublett, circa 1890, Odessa, Texas

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...........HAS ANYONE HERE HIKED OR FOUR-WHEELED THE GUADALUPE MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK??....Or even just visited it?? ............Any Pic's??............DOWNLOAD THE MAP OF THIS PARK ........................WHERE WOULD YOU START AND WHY??............Also the Butterfield Stage Route passes thru the park................although no METAL DETECTORS are allowed inside the park...............WHAT ABOUT THE OUTSIDE AREAs??..........................Although no metal detectors are allowed in the park..............one can still go canyon and cave exploriing..................may need flashlights and ropes.........................just a few ideas to start.......................JOE

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
years ago i made several trips (sightseeing) though this area,it would take a company of men a lifetime to explor all the caynons and mountains of this park, at the time i was there the old stage station was still being used as store and gas station,the crosswinds near caused me to crash my motorhome more than once it is a very scenic drive and well worth the visit. whitt459

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
I would spend a serious amount of research time if you were going to really try and find the site. Just a few things to consider and find.

- How far could ol ben have made it in the days he was gone? Odessa is a nice jog from there.
- How long was he gone each time he left (average)
- How fast could he have moved on the trip. (average)
- What route did he head out of Odessa.
- Is there any one that knows something about a general vicinity to start your search. Also need a trustworthy person that may have some insight.
- The local Indian tribe may have some insight if you could locate someone that may have had family in the area.

I would start on the East side of the mountains. Its approx. 120 miles from Odessa to the East side of where the mountains begin.

Attachments

• guadalupe_mts._map.jpg
    guadalupe_mts._map.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 2,591
  • approx.jpg
    approx.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 1,667
  • guadalepe.jpg
    guadalepe.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,551

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Rough terrain, this is the East side of where the mountains start on the Texas side.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,268

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Shaw I live just North of Austin. I too have been researching Ben Sublet and his gold. I hope to make it there sometime this summer before it gets hot or sometime in September/October. If you want to come along you can. The average distance that a pack team pulling a wagon in 1880's is about 15 to 20 miles a day due to the terrain. I have read that he would be gone for several days to weeks. I think the location may be closer than people realize with the average distance he rode. Now he could have some of his gold from the mine stashed closer to Odessa to shorten some of his trips. If you look at google earth close enough to the ground you can actually see the stage coach trails going to the stage stop. Google earth is pretty cool, you can look at all the roads from Mexico and all over Texas that has no modern roads. If you look west from Odessa, you can actually see the trails heading westward by some of the south side of the main highways.

I am leaving for Fort Dix, NJ this Friday and will be gone until the first week in March. I have some motorcycle rallies to work this year and in between most of them I have plenty of time, but I am going to plan sometime this year to get out that way. If you like you are welcome to come along as I said. I will most likely stay 2-3 days, (roughing it), scouring over the area and trying to get a good picture of where I would go if I was Ole Ben.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
TheHarleyMan2 said:
hey Shaw I live just North of Austin. I too have been researching Ben Sublet and his gold. I hope to make it there sometime this summer before it gets hot or sometime in September/October. If you want to come along you can. The average distance that a pack team pulling a wagon in 1880's is about 15 to 20 miles a day due to the terrain. I have read that he would be gone for several days to weeks. I think the location may be closer than people realize with the average distance he rode. Now he could have some of his gold from the mine stashed closer to Odessa to shorten some of his trips. If you look at google earth close enough to the ground you can actually see the stage coach trails going to the stage stop. Google earth is pretty cool, you can look at all the roads from Mexico and all over Texas that has no modern roads. If you look west from Odessa, you can actually see the trails heading westward by some of the south side of the main highways.

I am leaving for Fort Dix, NJ this Friday and will be gone until the first week in March. I have some motorcycle rallies to work this year and in between most of them I have plenty of time, but I am going to plan sometime this year to get out that way. If you like you are welcome to come along as I said. I will most likely stay 2-3 days, (roughing it), scouring over the area and trying to get a good picture of where I would go if I was Ole Ben.

Thanks for the info and I agree on the mid way stashing. It would have been a great thing to do logically.

I am in for a camping, hiking trip sometime then. Keep me posted. I need to dust off the old camping gear.

Jason

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Shaw said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

Thanks for the info and I agree on the mid way stashing. It would have been a great thing to do logically.

I am in for a camping, hiking trip sometime then. Keep me posted. I need to dust off the old camping gear.

Jason

Guys, keep me in mind too. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of camping and hiking. Doc says I need the excersise ;D

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
cooltone23 said:
Shaw said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

Jason

Guys, keep me in mind too. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of camping and hiking. Doc says I need the excersise ;D

LOL, don't we all after the holidays!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread