Hibbard Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Loran H. 'Judge' HIBBARD was born on December 19, 1827. He died on November 11, 1911. He was born in Bennington, New York or Ireland. He died in Ft. Bend, Brazoria County, Texas

In March of 1861, Loran enlisted as a Texas State Trooper at Brazoria, Texas under the command of Captain W.G. Moseley in a regiment known as the Brazoria Volunteers, Rio Grande Regiment. The majority of the men in the regiment were from Brazoria. The regiment was formed to take part in a military expedition known as the Rio Grande Valley Expedition commanded by Colonel John B. Rip Ford.

After the Civil War, Loran lived near Houston, Texas. It was said that when carpetbaggers came through, Loran sat on the trunk containing land deeds , but that they were stolen by the carpetbaggers. It has also been said that when Loran died, one of his boys sat on top of a trunk and guarded his gold.

On June 8, 1885 Loran and T.J. Packer sold two acres of land to Loran's son, Lorenza Dowden Hibbard, A.J. Adams and P. Coalson, as trustees with the stipulation that they could have the land as long as they built a house on the land for church and school purposes as part of the bargain. If the church and school was not erected within a reasonable length of time or if erected and then by neglect or non-use resulted in decay of the building and vacated and abandoned, then the land and title would revert back to the grantors, Loran and T.J. Packer.

The local people called him "Judge". He owned another parcel of land called "Blue Ridge" that later became an oilfield. A pot of gold is buried somewhere in that field. Loran wanted each child to have a cup of gold to build a house. When Loran died, George Andrew and his son Levi went to the house where Loran had lived to divide the inheritance. However, when they arrived, one of the son's of his second wife sat on the trunk that held all the gold and deeds with a gun across his lap and dared anyone to take possession of the trunk. George and his son never returned to the house.

December 10, 1902, Loran wrote a will witnessed by Geo. B. Lang and F.J.Cole: Know all men by These Presents:

That I, L. Hibbard, a resident and citizen of the State of Texas, Fort Bend County, do hereby make and constitute this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former Wills whatsoever date. It is my will and desire that all my just and legal obligations shall befully discharged.

I hereby bequeath to each and every [one] of my children named, as follows, to wit: John Hibbard, Jane Hibbard, Levi Hibbard, Andrew Hibbard and Polly Hibbard one head of cattle and an equal interest together in acertain 40 acre tract of land now owned by me in Leon County, Texas. It is my desire that in the division of the land the persons named shall share and share alike equally.

I hereby bequeath unto each and every one of my children named as follows, to wit: Minnie Hibbard, Lorenza Hibbard, Willie Hibbard, Alber Hibbard and Ada Hibbard to be equally divided between them to share and share alike, the following described tract of land being all my holding in the Neel Survey lying on the west side of Stafford's run in Fort Bend County, Texas, being about 60 acres of land more or less.

I hereby bequeath to my children named as followings, to wit: Emma Hibbard, Lorenzo E. (Sam) Hibbard and Dora Hibbard to be equally divided between them to share and share alike all my real estate holdings same being certain tracts of land lying and situated in Fort Bend County,Texas near Stafford's Point in said County, on the east side of Stafford's run herein before mentioned.

I hereby bequeath unto my children named in Article 3 & 4 of this instrument all the residue of my live stock whatever nature after the bequests enumerated in Article 2 of this instrument are fully fulfilled, to be shared equally between them to share and share alike.

I hereby appoint and constitute my son, Lorenza E. Hibbard as my Executor of this my Last Will and Testament to serve without bond or compensation. In Testimony Whereof I have this day, being of sound mind and sound body,cognizant of the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death, signed my name and affixed my seal at Rosenberg, Texas, in the presence of Geo.B.Lang and F.J. Cole, this 10th day of December A.D. 1902.

Signed: L. Hibbard

On August 4, 1904 he and his brother Levi sold two tracts of land in Leon County, Texas to T.D. Hennessy. One tract was 1/3rd of a league known and designated as The Lucius Hibbard Survey, patented October 8, 1845 and the other was 320 acres known as The Lovell E. Hibbard Survey, patented August 1, 1849.

Loran applied for his military pension for service on November 27, 1909 in Ft. Bend County, Texas. He stated that he was discharged at Columbiain Brazoria County, Texas at the close of the war in 1861. He died November 11, 1911 at his residence in Stafford, Ft. Bend County, Texas at the age of 83.

Probate Court records indicate that on July 16, 1913, almost 3 years after his death, that one of Loran's wives, Mildred Frances Hibbard, a resident of Harris County, Texas filed an Application for Letters of Administration on the Estate of Loron (Loran) Hibbard and stated that real and personal property of $1,000 should be granted to her since she was the surviving wife and was entitled to have a homestead set apart to her and, in addition, that she was also the creditor of Loron (Loran) Hibbard. The document also stated that she was not disqualified by law to act as the administrator of Loran's estate and was entitled to be appointed.

Notices were posted for 10 days at three public places in the county, including the Court House door, that Mildred F. Hibbard had filed an Application for Letters of Administration on the Estate of Loron (Loran) Hibbard which would be heard at the next term of the County Court in Richmond, Texas on July 28, 1913 and that those persons interested in the Estate may appear and contest the application. On August 9, 1913, since the Court had jurisdiction of the Estate, the court documents stated that there was a need for administration upon the Estate, and since the application for letters had been made before four years had elapsed, that Mildred was entitled to letters and was not disqualified. Mildred had a lien on about 3 acres of land in Stafford, Texas, formerly the homestead from the H.P. Hoffman Survey valued at $225.00, 7 acres in the H.P.Hoffman Survey valued at $455.00 and 35 acres in the Wm. T. Neal 1/4 League valued at $1,400.00. In addition there was personal property, a mule worth $15.00 and $291.00 cash in the J.H.P. Davis Bank. This was confirmed on August 28, 1913 by W.B. Cochranand E.L. Tomlinson who were appointed by the court to appraise the estate.

http://www.hibbardfamily.com/ged/b23.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread