THE LOST ALAMO TREASURE WELL..............

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....................This may be more of a Legend.......but it is rumored that the Defenders of the Alamo hid all of their Worldly possessions in a Water Well on the grounds of the Alamo.............this was done before Santa Anna arrived in Bexar on March 23, 1836..............the well site was covered over and disguised...................so Santa Anna never knew that it existed.............All the men defenders were killed or executed by orders of Santa Anna so the location died also!!.............Some women and a slave escaped the wrath of Santa Anna so maybe they were not let in on this Treasure Burial!!??..........Joe

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I had read some of the small creek beds were used as ways to go to different areas while being somewhat hidden. Could have been some underground tunnels also.

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, CZ-7, CZ-20, F-5
About ten or twelve years ago they allowed the use of ground penetrating
radar to be used and located the (a well) well and drilled down onto it.
Using lowered cameras they determined there were no notable artifacts in
the well. I'm sure Texas Monthly or the SanAntonio paper has a full and
complete article on it. I think the well was about where the front street
is now.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
haybudden2 said:
About ten or twelve years ago they allowed the use of ground penetrating
radar to be used and located the (a well) well and drilled down onto it.
Using lowered cameras they determined there were no notable artifacts in
the well. I'm sure Texas Monthly or the SanAntonio paper has a full and
complete article on it. I think the well was about where the front street
is now.
.....................I talked to Van (Alfred VanFossen) about this at the time.......he said that the guy doing the ground radar was inempt and did not know what he was doing...................he claimed at least of 6 other locations that he also found the well................most of the other well locations were just piles of various debri and I believe that some was the remains of old wooden posts............anyway Van said that if they really did find the well with valuables........"DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT THEY WOULD TELL US??"...............and just starting laughing................Anyway if anyone compares the modern maps with the original Alamo lay out ....one can see that a lot of the original compound is covered over by many different buildings..............No telling where the original well really was!!.............................Also it is hard for me to believe that they (the Defenders) did not tell their wives and other relatives of this location...............so maybe it was retrieved later!!!................Also on another tangent....................a lot of the Relics of the Alamo such as Cannonballs and Musket Balls should actually lay outside the dormain of the Alamo Grounds...............wonder why not much as been recovered??/or............................................Joe

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
As much concrete San Antonio has had layed all around the Alamo, I'm sure some items have been found by contruction workers and just not mentioned. Even some of the old time TH'ers ( like VanFossen) might have secreted away some of those items while hunting very low profile. :wink:
I do imagine there are lots more relics under many acres of buildings and concrete steets that may never be dug up.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Sam Maverick built a house about where the NW corner of the north wall was. Mrs. Maverick found many cannonballs in her front yard while working in her garden. At least that is how the story goes. Artifacts? Yes, some are found with every dig, but I suspect that there is much more. As for the well. I suspect that Bushbacher was close, but treasure? Who knows. Makes for a great story though. Check with UTSA anthropology. They have a great deal of Alamo material stored at the main campus in their labs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread