Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAVY CROCKET'S HEIRS

.............This may not be in the right forum but was not real sure on where to place it!!.........Most of the heir's of the Alamo Defenders made claims with the Republic of Texas to get Land Grants that were given to any Heir's of men who died during the Texas Revolution!!.................I know from a lot of reading on the subject that Davy left at least one son and one daughter! I am wondering if any of these Heirs made claims and wound up owning land in Texas??...............Joe

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Re: DAVY CROCKET'S HEIRS

Crocket Texas is named for Davy Crocket and there is a spring named for him there also.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dimeman said:
Crocket Texas is named for Davy Crocket and there is a spring named for him there also.
...........................I guess that you did not understand what I was asking!!..................Been reading a lot of old books and stories concerning the Alamo and some contain reports/records of heirs of the Defenders of the Alamo claiming land from the Republic of Texas and/or the early State of Texas...........Anyone who could prove that they had relatives that died in the Alamo would receive a Land Grant................never saw any claims from Davy Crockett Heir's....................I know that he left a daughter and a son in Tennessee..............i guess that they were not interested in coming to Texas especially after their Dad had died there!!??......................Just wondering..............Joe

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

That would be very interesting, if there were any heirs and they stepped forward to claim some land.

What would the State do ???? Many laws have changed since then.

If an heir did file a claim and the boundries of the granted land was now on pivate property, would the state pay the present owner or would they just take it, as right of eminant domain????

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dimeman said:
That would be very interesting, if there were any heirs and they stepped forward to claim some land.

What would the State do ???? Many laws have changed since then.

If an heir did file a claim and the boundries of the granted land was now on pivate property, would the state pay the present owner or would they just take it, as right of eminant domain????
.....................These laws were only active during the Republic and maybe the early days of Texas Statehood.................They are not active now................Right after the Independence of Texas..........most of the Spanish Land Grants (but not the Stephen F Austin's Colonist's and the White/Texican settlers of the various other Empressarios) were null and void.............any settlers that sided with the Mexican side lost their lands.............That is why Texas had so many settlers and adventurers from the United States..................a lot of the land was cheap or given away.............Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread