Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Stark's mine

Well I'll answer my own post,I think I found the cave(s),but about 2 miles from where the history books said it was,no gold yet but have found coins from early 1900-1930's.

hollywould

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2009

Sorry for my ignorance, as I am only familiar with one Walnut Creek. You don't happen to be talking about the Walnut Creek up by Parmer/Metric, by any chance?

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I lived in the austin area for 25 years, and that is the only one I know of. It goes a long way South, tho

OP
OP
Produce Guy

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Walnutcreek starts west of loop-1 (mopac),over by North Austin Medical hospital,goes east towards Metric Blvd. and into Walnutcreek park, then under the North Lamar bridge,and then under the I35 bridge and keeps going to the east & down to the river.On a certain part of the creek I found about 30 coins,some were from Germany and some Asian and some from the USA,all buried in the ground on a side of a cliff,but that's all I'm gonna say.I don't think thses are the coins that were stolen from a train,from back in the 10'-30's.

jwils1978

Aug 15, 2013
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So came across a Texas Antiquities Permit book in regards to Walnut Creek last year, and since then I have been interested in the local history. On a website I saw also mention of a mine, but I have walked up and down the creek between the park and 35, but I've never come across any mines. Is this mine actually on the creek or is it off the creek? No worries if you don't want to disclose, just curious if I've missed the obvious.

OP
OP
Produce Guy

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's off of the creek on the south side of the creek,between I-35 & North Lamar.
I was told by a good source that the treasure was/is burried inside the rock cliffs,inside Walnutcreek Park.

jwils1978

Aug 15, 2013
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Produce Guy, I've walked almost the entire distance from WC park to 35 and haven't seen anything, but I'll keep looking. The electric lines enshrouded in concrete (my best guest) is neat looking. I wonder if there's plans to extend the new trail system through and under 35?

Kayaker13

Oct 25, 2017
round rock texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tunnels are there. There is two of them side by side. Both were empty when we climbed thru them as teenagers back in the late 60's, I understand one is grated off now. the other one must be covered by rock now.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to have never hit a Newspaper .

I searched Nationwide

Key Words

walnutcreek Starks

walnutcreek Strongbox

walnutcreek buried

walnutcreek cave

walnutcreek stole

Not 1 Hit. where these words appear within 50 words of each other :dontknow:

Doesn't make it Not so. But Does Mean I couldn't find a hit.

95 results containing “the phrase "walnutcreek"”

If you wish to check for different Phrasing of the story

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/s...=&proxdistance=50&rows=20&searchType=advanced

Lazyboy

Jan 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Austin. Last I saw the mine(s) was around 1959. I only saw one and it was gated. It was just a 5' high hole in the smooth side of a bluff. Nothing like the pictures posted on the net. The tunnel had a smooth floor, and it went in only a short distance before it turned. I never knew about a sword that was sticking out of a tree that was to have been above the mine. But 1959 was a long time ago and the site has probably changed a lot. I would like to see it if its still there. If someone can take me to it, let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread