Karl Steinheimers gold in central Texas

OP
OP
C

Chris Whewell

Re: Karl Steinheimer's gold in central Texas

Steinheimer was a pirate, who took to gold mining in Mexico in the 1830's. Fell in love with a lady from St. Louis and tried to make his way overland from Matamoros to St. Louis, riding with Manuel Flores' band for protection in May 1839. Flores was a counter-revolutionary, working with Cordova based out of Nacogdoches. Texian James Rice's party spotted Flores at Onion Creek south of Austin and gave chase. When William Wallace shot Flores near eithe Brush Creek or the San Gabriel, Steinheimer, his 20 mules of goldand his two men were not among them. Steinheimer's party buried the loot, then was attacked by Tonkowans and lost his two men and was wounded himself. He retrieved the gold he had paid them that they were carrying, and buried it atop a hill. He went south to the Colorado and met travelers going to the gulf with the hopes of making New Orleans, then up to St. Louis to meet his sweetie, then return to Texas to get the hidden loot. He never made it to St. Louis but mailed the map to Miss Savoy, who sent her relatives to get the loot but they couldn't find it. It may be still out there, and if so, I've got two candidate locations but hate to go it alone because roughing it alone in the brush ain't a real good idea. Plus, the pirate's loot would have to be pirated. Arrrrgh, non'll be the wiser or pained for losing what they didn't know they had, now would they ?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: Karl Steinheimer's gold in central Texas

Everything you ever needed to know, LOL!

Bancroft, Hubert Howe, History of the north Mexican states and Texas, history Co., San Francisco, Vol. II, 1883

Bertillion, L.D., "Steinheimer's Millions", in Legends of Texas, Folk-lore society, Austin, 1924

Black, Jack, Steinheimer's Millions, in Western Treasures Notebook of Lost Mines and Buried Treasures, Ames publishing, Tarzana CA, 1966, p.78

Coffman, F.L., 1001 lost, buried, or sunken Treasures, Thomas Nelson and sons, Camden, NJ 1957

Dobie, J. Frank, Steinheimer's Millions, in Coronado's Children, southwestern Press, Dallas TX, 1930

Engle, Fletcher, Texas Fortune, Western Treasures Vol I, No. I Summer 1963 Ames publishing, Tarzana CA pp76-78

McAllister, R.W. Karl Steinheimers Millions, Lost mines of California and the southwest, Thomas Bros., LA, 1953

Roberts, Bill, Steinheimers missing millions, Treasure world, vol 5, no 7 june/july 1971, Treasure world publishing Co., Conroe TX pp 24-27

And Penfield has references in several of his books.

paleochild

Oct 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to go Look for it..

Steinheimer was a pirate, who took to gold mining in Mexico in the 1830's. Fell in love with a lady from St. Louis and tried to make his way overland from Matamoros to St. Louis, riding with Manuel Flores' band for protection in May 1839. Flores was a counter-revolutionary, working with Cordova based out of Nacogdoches. Texian James Rice's party spotted Flores at Onion Creek south of Austin and gave chase. When William Wallace shot Flores near eithe Brush Creek or the San Gabriel, Steinheimer, his 20 mules of goldand his two men were not among them. Steinheimer's party buried the loot, then was attacked by Tonkowans and lost his two men and was wounded himself. He retrieved the gold he had paid them that they were carrying, and buried it atop a hill. He went south to the Colorado and met travelers going to the gulf with the hopes of making New Orleans, then up to St. Louis to meet his sweetie, then return to Texas to get the hidden loot. He never made it to St. Louis but mailed the map to Miss Savoy, who sent her relatives to get the loot but they couldn't find it. It may be still out there, and if so, I've got two candidate locations but hate to go it alone because roughing it alone in the brush ain't a real good idea. Plus, the pirate's loot would have to be pirated. Arrrrgh, non'll be the wiser or pained for losing what they didn't know they had, now would they ?

I will go with you..

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi all. I read a different account, authored by a source which I believe from past experience to be reliable. His account indicates that Steinheimer had separated from Flores at the first sign of trouble. He then had an uneventful journey until spotting hostiles in the distance. He then buried his gold, to ride light and fast, with the intent of returning with a larger party. He never made it. Irma recieved the map and solicited a partner to recover the treasure. Before embarking on a recovery effort, the partner researched Steinheimer and concluded the story and map were genuine. They never found it. As far a stories go, Steinheimer was a documented historical figure. I'm under the impression that his treasure is still out there for the guy who can solve it.

Last edited:

bob zel

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 70's I was at said location ,there was a brass spike in an Oak tree .A farmer who brought me to location said some young guys also from Chicago found this treasure a little while back.I returned home. Spike could have been put there by someone other then Karl himself.

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi Bob. Say, can you recall the location of that spike. I've been doing some research and if that location is where I'm looking, I won't waste any more effort. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread