Little-Known Theory about Hendricks Lake Treasure of Pirate Lafitte.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read a fascinating article by M. J. Tatum entitled Treasure at Hendricks Lake in the February, 1971 issue of Long John Latham's True Treasure magazine. Apparently Mr. Tatum had been researching and studying this long-lost treasure of millions of dollars worth of silver bars and gold nuggets for a long time before writing the article and he was very familiar with the stories and attempts to recover the treasure over the past 200 years. In the past 49 years, I've read several articles about the Hendricks Lake Treasure and I probably read this particular one several times over the years but that was long before the Internet came along. Of all of them, this one, which places the likely location of the treasure on Martin Creek near its crossing with Trammel's Trace not in Hendricks Lake, is the one that makes the most sense. The author supports his belief on several things but one of the most important is a map that an old Mexican, whose ancestor was one of the Spanish soldiers who overtook Trammel's wagon train which had been carrying pirate Jean Lafitte's treasure, showed his father which placed the treasure in Martin Creek. Martin Creek is south of Tatum, Texas in Rusk and Panola Counties. The True Treasure article includes a map of the area in question and has all the landmarks needed on it.
If I lived in that area of Texas, I might pursue this giant treasure but I don't so I'm sharing it on here in the hopes that it will help someone who is able to go after it.
I checked and there are several copies of this magazine available on eBay if you're interested. I'm attaching the link to another article about the treasure and past efforts to find and retrieve it but it deals mostly with the many failed attempts at Hendricks Lake, not at Martin Creek.
~Texas Jay

http://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2579&context=ethj

Feb1971TrueTreasure1.jpg

Nov 2, 2017
Houston
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought the magazine off Ebay so I could check it out. Thanks for the tip. If you feel like searching that area at all, let me know - I'm recently moved to Austin (from Houston) but I don't mind the drive.

Cheers,
Blue

gpinkerton

Jan 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you interested in the Hendricks Lake treasure legend will want to find my new book, "True Believers - Treasure Hunters at Hendricks Lake." It will be out in April 2019, and you can learn more (and get on mailing list) at the website www.hendrickslake.com. There is also an active Facebook page for the book and Hendricks Lake.

The book is the story of people who have searched for the treasure from 1884 to the present.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions