The old folks kept their money in gold coin in an iron pot

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The following information was taken from Kanab Town, Kane County and Kanab Pipeline Records, also incidents related to me by Ami Judd and Gertrude Judd Cottam:

13 March 1884 ā€“ the Kanab Town Council appointed Zadok K. Judd, Sr., Treasurer of the Town Corporation.
26 December 1885 ā€“ Z.K. Judd was appointed as Prosecuting Attorney for Kanab Town.
7 December 1886 ā€“ Z.K. Judd, Sr. was allowed $33 for Coroner duty and burying bodies found on Buckskin Mountain, by Kane County Commission.

The following incident relating to the above-mentioned Coroner duty was related by Ami Judd:
ā€œIt was while I was carrying the mail that I met a party near House Rock, an old woman, an old man and a girl were riding in a wagon, a white man and a Negro were riding horseback. On my return trip, I met with Sixtus Johnson out on Johnson Run and as we traveled along we met the same party. However now there were but the white man, the Negro and the girl. The Negro was driving the team and one mare was doing a lot of ā€˜whinneringā€™ and trying to turn back. The white man and the girl were riding the horses. We stopped and talked to them. They said the mare had foaled and they had killed the foal because they did not think it could keep up. We thought this strange because they could have hauled the colt.

ā€œWhen the party reached Kanab they were remembered because the people did not like the idea of a Negro along with the girl. Not long after this some travelers coming from Leeā€™s Ferry over the Buckskin Mountain saw a human hand and long black hair sticking out of the ground at a campsite. Digging the dirt away they uncovered the bodies of an old man and woman. The coyotes had been digging there and that is how the hand was uncovered. The party hurried on to Kanab to report their findings. A group of men was organized to investigate. Zadok Knapp Judd, Sr. was appointed Justice of the Peace for the County at the Coronerā€™s Inquest.

ā€œThe three people were apprehended in Ogden, Utah and were tried in Prescott, Arizona. It came out in the trial that the old man and woman had adopted the girl and the white man and the girl were lovers. The old folks kept their money in gold coin in an iron pot. Each night they would leave camp and would go into the darkness and bury the pot of gold.

ā€œThe Negro man and white man were convicted of murder and imprisoned. The girl was allowed to go free. It is said that years later she came back over the trail hunting the pot of gold.ā€
http://www.three-peaks.net/judd_bio.htm

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! There is probably not much money, but what bit of money there is would be worth a few arms :D
Very good read! Good luck to anyone that searches!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread