Goodins Hidden James Gang Loot .....Utah

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Goodin's Hidden James Gang Loot .....Utah

by Donald J. Rosenberg

This story is about a man by the name of Albert Ross Goodin who claimed to be a member of the Jessie James Gang. He settled in the Western portion of Tooele and Juab Counties in about 1885, where he hoped to make a new life for himself. The author has attempted to obtain as much information as possible, from records, hearsay, and stories about Goodin from old timers in the area who knew him or had heard stories about him and from the records of the Utah Mental Hospital in Provo, where he died. Albert Ross Goodin was born of French and German descent in Orange County, Texas, in about 1850, he did not know the day, month or year. He received no schooling. In his early life he worked on ranches as a cow puncher in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Montana. He was a cook on the famous "Chism Trail." Later on, he became a member of the famous "Pat and Joe Crow" Outlaw Gang who rode out of the Omaha, Nebraska area. During the episodes of the Jessie James Gang, he became a member and rode with them, assisting with a number of robberies. Later when the James Gang was caught by the law, Goodin got away, thus the James Gang assumed it was Goodin who had turned them in and they swore they would catch and kill him. With this knowledge, Goodin left the county, first going to Arizona for a time.

During this same period, in the western part of Tooele County, Gold Hill was in full operation, producing hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of gold, with about 1500 people living there.

It was during this time that Albert Ross Goodin moved to Utah, settling in an area on the east side of the Ibapah Mountains, on Trout Creek about 45 miles south of Gold Hill where he built a rock house which he constructed out of native flat flag stone. The cabin had one window and one door. The fireplace and chimney were made by laying rock, creating a hole to the roof. The roof was constructed from willow birch limbs cut from the nearby creek, then dirt layed over the limbs to make a waterproof roof. Later he moved to a small one room log cabin one mile further down the canyon. Both of these cabins are still standing and are in good condition as of this writing.

Little is known about the life of Goodin, except for the stories that have been handed down.He was short, stocky, and weighed about 160 lbs. with long black hair. Those who knew Goodin said that he was a very interesting person, kind, friendly, generous, and the center of attraction whenever a bunch of fellows would get together to tell stories. For many years he used the name of Al Ross but later started using the full name Albert Ross Goodin.

Goodin was an excellent shot with a rifle and pistol. It has been told that people actually saw him shooting chicken hawks out of mid air with a rifle, a feat which is almost impossible if you have ever had an occasion to try it. He could keep a tin can on a constant roll with a pistol. He said that you never aim a pistol, you point with your finger. On one occasion he and his neighbor, by the name of Parker, were having a dispute over water rights. One day as Parker was crossing the creek to turn the water from the head-gate, a bullet fired by Goodin landed in the stream right next to Parker's feet. Parker filed a complaint with the local Justice of the Peace. When the case came to court, the Judge asked Goodin why he had shot at Parker. Goodin said that he did not "shoot at him". The Judge said, "What do you mean you did not shoot at him? You fired a shot which landed right at his feet." Goodin answered, "If I had been shooting at him, he would be dead." The Judge dismissed the case.

A Mrs. Sam Falkenberg, whose husband was the overseer for the Bambugcr Gold Mine in Granite Canyon, and she, the local school teacher, did most of Goodin's shopping. On one occasion he ordered 24 cans of beans. She said, "You want a case then?" "No", he replied, "I want 24 cans".

Apparently his fear of the Jessie James Gang catching up with him preyed on his mind very heavily, which is evidenced by his building a series of fortresses around his cabin. These fortresses consisted of holes about 5 feet deep, 6 feet across the top, lined with flat rocks, with peep holes around the top which he could put his rifle through and shoot at intruders. Some of these fortresses stilI exist.

Finally Goodin became so possessed with fear and imaginings of seeing the Jessie Jamies Gang, that his life became one of constant fear. In fact, he imagined James and his men were even coming down the chimney to get him, even though the chimney consisted of a 6 inch stove pipe.

In June of 1932, two local Tooele couples, Delbert Hammond and his wife, and Lynn and Iva Price, the latter who were on their honeymoon, made a trip to Trout Creek to spend a week camping and fishing. They camped a short distance from Goodin's cabin. Upon finding them camped nearby, Goodin threatened to shoot them if they did not leave. They were able to convince him they intended him no harm and he became quite friendly. Thereafter, for the remainder of the week, Goodin spent much time in their camp, visiting and enjoying each other's hospitality and sharing meals.

Iva Price describes Goodin's appearance as being extremely rough looking, heavily bearded, with a beat up old hat and some kind of old gray boots which were different than anything she had ever seen before. She felt that it was evident the boots were homemade.

Because of the large number of rattle snakes in the area, Goodin advised the two couples to lay a rope on the ground circling their camp so as to keep the snakes away. When the women learned there were rattle snakes in the area, of course, the camping trip ceased to be enjoyable for them.

Lester Bolinder, a long time resident of Grantsville, Utah, and once a good friend of Al "Ross" Goodin, tells one interesting story concerning Mrs. Clara Tripp, who was the post mistress in Callao about 1923. She was in dire need of a large sum of money, around $3,000, Les recalls, and did not know how or where she was going to come up with that amount of money.

Goodin said, "By J**** Clara, I will give you the money". Les took Goodin to his ranch after the money. He states that after crossing the creek just below Goodin's cabin, Goodin had him wait at the creek while he went to get the money. In about a half an hour Goodin returned with a large handful of paper money which they took back and gave to Mrs. Tripp. Les said he observed that the money was all in Gold Certificates, mostly in $20 denominations.

Goodin also told Les that he had plenty of money and offered to buy him a truck if Les would drive him around since he could not drive himself. Les believes that Goodin's money came from the robberies committed while he was with the Jessie James Gang. I asked Les if he thought Goodin's money was still buried at the old ranch. He said, Oh, I think there is no question that he has more money up there." I add a warning to treasure seekers. The area is all private property and permission must be obtained or an individual will be trespassing.

One day when Les Bolinder was planting trees on what is now known as the Neilson Ranch, Goodin came up to him, observed how Les was planting the trees and said, "By J****, Les, you are planting those trees too close apart."

The phrase, "By J****", seemed to be Goodin's favorite expression.

The local ranchers began to fear for their own lives because of Goodin's apparent insanity, thus contacted "Ed Winn", who at the time was the Deputy Sheriff of Juab County at Nephi, Utah.

Alexander Blight, a retired Superintendent, Tintic School District, and a long time friend who happened to have been present at the capture of Goodin, describes Goodin's capture as follows: Sheriff Mellor received permission from the School Superintendent Mr. T. E. Bartlett to excuse me from work for two days to accompany him and Mr. Winn when they went out on the desert to bring Mr. Ross to the county seat for a hearing.

Some of the stories they had heard made them a little apprehensive about the task before them, and they hoped that by taking his friend along, results could be obtained much easier. We drove right up to the cabin with Mr. Winn at the steering wheel and no one seemed to be around. I opened the door of the car, walking up to the door, knocked and called out, 'Mr. Ross'. He immediately yelled back, 'Who is there?' I replied, 'It is Mr. Blight.' He yelled back, 'Wait a minute, Mr. Blight, I will unlock the door'. And when the door opened, as he pumped my hand, he yelled to the top of his voice, 'Why, yah! Those fellows have been trying to get me all night!'" "The poor old fellow had spent the night sitting on the concrete floor, behind the stove, holding his gun leveled at the door. I made the Sheriff and his deputy acquainted and I give my word to all readers they didn't find a desperado willing to shoot it out or cause any trouble. Merely a little old man, cold. hungry, frightened, lacking sleep, hair and clothes ruffled and thrilled because he was with his friend and now was sure that he was safe." (Tooele Transcript, 4/1/77 issue) That night in Delta while having dinner, tears came to his eyes and he said, "I guess you men are ashamed of having dinner with a funny looking, little old man like me." We gave him our assurances that we were not ashamed and waited while he continued to attempt to appease a starving body." Goodin was taken to the Nephi Jail, where, after his first night in jail, it is reported he remarked that he had the best night's sleep he had had for years as "they" (meaning the Jessie James Gang) could not get at him. In 1939 Goodin was sent to the State Mental Hospital in Provo, Utah, where he spent the remainder of his life. Evidently while at the hospital, the people who he thought were trying to kill him, changed from the Jessie James Gang to the Pat and Joe Crow Gang. The records show Goodin's concern for a mythical Gold Mine which he owned and he imagined that Pat and Joe Crow Gang were trying to kill him to get his gold mine. In fact, he said that they had killed a woman just below his ranch and tried to blame it on him. Now he said that they were trying to get him to kill him and rob him of his gold mine. He said that the Sheriff had brought him to the hospital for safety and told him to stay there where he would be safe and he would come and get him as soon as he could. A murder was committed at the Trout Creek Ranch which is about four miles below Goodin's cabin, just a short time before he was taken away. I would have to assume that this murder may have been the one he was talking about, although it had nothing to do with the Pat Crow Gang, but in Goodin's mind it may have been.

Goodin died on December 29, 1943, his age being about 90 years. The following letter was mailed to Sheriff Winn at Nephi, Utah on January 4, 1944: "Albert Ross Goodin passed away at this hospital on December 29th. We have been unable to find any relatives of his and so had his body taken to the University of Utah where it can be claimed by anyone who wishes to claim it for burial for sometime. If it is not claimed, it will be used for study purposes. If you know anyone who would be interested in him, will you kindly have them contact us?"

Later, upon hearing of Goodin's death, local ranchers at Trout Creek were disappointed they had not been notified as they expressed their desire that he be buried at Trout Creek where he had been a resident and friend for over forty years.

http://www.nw-utah-heritage.com/year04/winter04/articles/jessiejames_artl01.html

Attachments

• Rock Creek Cabin Ibapah Mt 1880.jpg
    Rock Creek Cabin Ibapah Mt 1880.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,187
  • Goodin\'s cabin.jpg
    Goodin\'s cabin.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,837
  • Goodin\'s fortress.jpg
    Goodin\'s fortress.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,481

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: Goodin's Hidden James Gang Loot .....Utah

Gypsy,

This is one of the best you have come up with girl.
I enjoyed it.

Fandamtastic.

OD

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Re: Goodin's Hidden James Gang Loot .....Utah

Great Story thanks for posting.
I have a friend that was raised in Trout Creek. I have been out there a few times and he never mentioned anything about it. I will have to look for the cabin next time I am out that way. Not much out there. The rabbits carry canteens.
Enjoy
Rutnbuck

gecko13

Jun 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT'S a great western story! It has everything, an old gunslinger/bandit, treasure, hideouts, the lot. In my years in Utah I never heard this one, thanks for sharing.

desertcrawler

Nov 14, 2014
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather worked for a rancher that wintered sheep in the Trout Creek area back in the 1920's-30's and claims to have been friends with Ross, as he called him. His story is similar to the others, at first he wanted nothing to do with strangers. Eventually he warmed up to Grandpa and they became good friends. The loot is a legend. Maybe it's there, maybe it's scattered, or gone or never was, but Locals although friendly don't offer much info about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread