Powells Fort cache

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Powell's Fort cache

Hi all you TNet folks in The Valley. Has anyone detected around Powell's Fort for the cache of coins under the rock with the horseshoe chiseled in it? is that site on State or National Park land?
Looks like with the several of us in the area (I'm from Culpeper/Warrenton) that we could get together, swap lies, and do some hunting.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Re: Powell's Fort cache

I was looking at Marx (Buried Treasures You Can Find) and Jameson (Eastern Treasures). Looks like the same place .
Marx has two pretty interesting listings.
First "Powells Fort. A natural rock fortress in the Fort Mountains near Waterlick. A trader named Edwin Powell buried a large cache of treasure near this spot under a large rock with a horseshoe carved on it."
Another note I have in an old file says that it is a "C" carved on the rock. His wife's initial.
Second "...Patriot raiders who were being chased by a larger body of troops, threw three chests of silver coins into a stream near Round Hill, about five miles north of Winchester."

Terry list the church in Charles Town , WVA as a site of possible caches hidden there during the Indian Wars.

grizzly bare

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

I have friends in Round Hill.

I know where Signal Knob is. I'll check out who owns what and get back to you. Sounds like a good adventure.

DM

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I heard it was a silver mine and forged silver coins that in washinton national forest area . And the big rock he hid under is now paved but the remnaints of the mine are still there . I live in prince william county let me know if theres a get together would love to go along ...

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

I live in Augusta County,I checked about MD National Forest and was told that it is against the law to MD their land.The only place you can legally MD was Todd lake beach area and Sherando lake beach area.But that is what I was told.If the law is any different than that would someone PLEASE let me know.

fortbball9

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You can not dig in the National Forest I looked into it when I did some research and located a CW site but it is just over the boundry line not worth the trouble

Hutch

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

Thanks Hutch that is what I was told also.

fortbball9

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

;D :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: STARBUCKS! I was born 'n raised in Page County, Va. in the Shenandoah
Valley and well remember the legend of the buried treasure in Powell's Fort Valley... ;D Been to Signal Knob in Shenandoah County; the view from the firetower THEN, was AWESOME. Think it is torn down, now. :( The "treasure" back THEN, was stated to be on "Fed Land", hence... NO MDing, etc. :( BUT! "Google" POWELL'S FORT VALLEY, VA in SHENANDOAH VALLEY :wink: Good Luck & HH!

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I live in Winchester...always up for some MDing...let me know.

dethklok97

Nov 10, 2007
Alexandria,Virginia
Detector(s) used
whites prizm v

yea i went somewhere without checkin the rules and got 2 minnieballs right away then had to turn em over to some guy and was told to leave but im lucky i wasnt fined

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread