jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shenandoah herald. (Woodstock, Va.), 17 April 1878.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...=&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=22

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Woodstock too! My mother and Uncle both live there. Never heard of a Wilson Hotel. Wish I had known of this a few years back while Dad was still alive as he knew a lot of the old-timers from the area being from that area and could have pointed in in the proper direction. Research time!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There were nickles? Starting in 1866, but none when he left.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I recognize some of the building on the aerial view. The Walton & Smoot Pharmacy, my parents went there for years for their meds. The Court House, but some of that doesn't look familiar. If that had been a block on the other side of the Court House I would say I had been in it and it was now a Funeral Home but. Guess I will have to take the long way in to see Mom and take a look at the buildings and see if that is still there or what is there. Bet they would have a fit if I dig but maybe, who knows, depends on what's there and who owns it. About 50 minutes from where I am now.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't look like allot of ground.
If any original ground it would be by the tree line behind.

& Considering the time period, I'm thinking the Building behind may have been Stables.

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and my problem is normally we go by back streets around the center of town to avoid the stop lights so it has been a while since I have been that way. The last time was for my Dad's funeral to the Funeral Home a block or so on the other side of Court Street. Same side of the road and the building looks the same , three floors and all. Just don't pay much attention going through as I try not to get caught by the light as it is a tight section with parking on both sides. The town is laid out kind of funny as the Post Office is actually a street back from the main street. Some houses are right up near the sidewalk, results from when the roads were smaller and not paved, etc. Bet you are correct about stables.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks, Jeff... "pics" bought back memories, for me too. POINT being, as Yanks came down Shenandoah Valley from Winchester, Va.) during the CONFEDERATE WAR (Hunter, et al), farmers lost crops, homes, etc. MOST of the ppl buried/stashed away their "goodies", let farm animals run to the "hills", etc. I read some family stashes were never found... "google" Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia; rumors of GOLD & SILVER Mines abounded from pre-Civil War days up there. Shenandoah County has lots of caches from the GERMAN Frontier, too (The Germans from Pa). Lower S.V. in Dayton, Harrisonburg (Amish, Mennonite, Brethren,) has "rumored" treasures, too. RIPE for "picking"... heh! HH! Good Luck! SPRING is coming...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Great Wagon Road from Philly, Pa.; it was aka as the Great Warriors (Indians) Path.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEP! Looks like Rt. 11 (aka Great Wagon Road) became MAIN STREET in Woodstock; area of the trees MAY WELL be correct, Jeff!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of families that have stayed in the area and a lot of the land in the Woodstock area was once controlled by two main families. I know one was last name "French" and still hold some sway are the town today. Not sure of the other. I know that my Dad's family was from the Woodstock, Fort Valley, Strasburg area and there were a lot of families that spent most of their time with in the county of Shenandoah or the surrounding counties and did not stray far. Rt. 11 runs north/south and right through the center of town and is the main street on the maps. As many of the building like that in these small towns, bet that if there were enough research and permission gained, caches likely to be found still. However, a lot of the area around the buildings have been paved over and not accessible any longer. As a side note, my job is getting ready to change and I will be moving back to our other building which is in a renovated feed and fertilizer storage. Five floors, hand operated elevator, dates back to the early 1900's and there are places where the old knob and tube wiring still is shown even if not connected but for looks. I wonder back to when the original reno took place and if anything was found. Yes, Rt. 11 is Main Street in Woodstock, been there and can verify that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread