Capt. James Scarboroughs gold cache

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Capt. James Scarborough's gold cache

While re-reading my copy of Ruby El Hult's "Treasure Hunting Northwest", I found some notes I made back in 1982 when I was spending considerable time at the Oregon Historical Society attempting to track down El Hult's original sources.

Captain James Scarborough was an in-law of Chief Comconnolly, and homesteaded on what ever since has been known as Scarborough Hill, where he built "... a large, fine house, and a smaller one behind it for his Chinook Indian wife and their two sons."

Here is my copy of the notes I made. Hope this helps someone else with their search for this fabled treasure which, apparently, was viewed by no less than 14 early pioneers. BTW, the bulk of Scarborough's treasure came from an early shipwreck inside the Columbia River mouth, also known as the "Graveyard of Ships."

"Scarborough

Mary Duchesne found a piece of gold on Scarborough Hill, about 18709. (Charles R. Eastland, Astoria, OR)

married Ann Elizabeth (daughter of Chief Concomly) in 1843 at Ft. Vancouver

Scarborough died February, 1855

on board the Isabella when it was wrecked in May 1830.

served as mate on the Beaver and Llama, for 10 years was master of the schooner Cadboro.

Scarborough had fairly good garden - fruit trees, ornamental shrubs, Mission Rose, Hawthorne tree (planted 1848 - 50' tall)

retired 1850

continued guideing ships - was 2nd recognized Columbia River Bar pilot after Chief Concomly

Also built up a fish trade with New England. Tradition says he was paid for the fish with gold slugs or ingots - supposed to have amassed $60,000.

Ann Elizabeth may have known where the cache was buried, but didn't. Superstitious? (Perhaps, but if she was, where better to hide the cache than at the Chinook's Totem?)"

The original story can be found in "Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest", as well as an update in "Treasure Hunting Northwest", both by Ruby El Hult.

Scarborough is alledged to have introduced a white-flowering hawthorne tree. which he apparently used as a beacon to guide ships into the Columbia River safely. He reportedly also introduced gorse, scotchbroom, and blackberry into the United States from his native Scotland. He was reportedly paid in early-day gold coins, probably recently minted in California.

Scarborough was involved in a lucrative triangle-trade route between Portland (or Seattle)-San Francisco-Honolulu. He brought the first newspapers from San Francisco detailing the finding of gold in California in 1848 to Portland. He was savvy. He didn't release the newspapers until _after_ he had bought up every tool in Portland and Oregon City that had a wooden handle, often paying double to going price. After selling the newspapers in Oregon City and Portland, he then backtracked to San Francisco with a load of fresh-milled boards, shovels, hoes, canvas, and food, for which he found a ready market at 2-10 times what he paid for them in Oregon. His was the first-known ship to travel upriver on the Willamette River to Oregon City, with several canoes filled with Indians ahead of him marking the depth of the water. Until that time, the Willamette River to Willamette Falls was considered too shallow to have a ship on.

In addition, he and a contingent of Chinook Indians salvaged from an abandoned ship in the "quicksands" of the Columbia River a chest containing 400 $50-dollar gold slugs. When the ship was salvaged is somewhat in question, but probably was between 1850 and 1855, when the captain died. The Chinooks used some of these coins as markers in a gambling game they played. The northern shore of the Columbia River has unearthed several of these coins afterwards, where they were sometimes included in Native American burials.

Scarborough was apparentlly uncertain whether the $50 gold pieces were legal money. He took them to several people to have them weighed. The results were inconclusive for Scarborough, but are quite believable today. Early $50 gold pieces from private mints (such as Moffit and Blake, Wass-Molitor, Kellogg, etc, as well as United States Assay Office of Gold) in California did not contain $50 worth of gold. Some were slightly under, many were $1 or $2 over. These were quickly melted for that exact reason: they were worth more as melt value than face value. They are extremely rare and highly sought today by collectors.

Early con-artists found another scam for the $50 gold "slugs" as they became known. When travelling in the early West, it was not uncommon to call on a farmer or rancher, and ask for a meal and lodging for the night. Most people had not seen a $50 gold slug. Fewer had change for a meal and lodging, which usually was about 50 cents to 75 cents. If a household couldn't make change for the slug, the traveller was often invited to stay for free, after claiming that was the only money they had. But if the farmer or rancher could give change, the traveller suddenly had other money to pay with.

The 400 gold slugs were found in a small chest on the ship. But there were no banks at the time, and Scarborough did not trust his sons, who had been raised by Ann Elizabeth, his Chinookian wife. One son followed Scarborough to his hiding place, and Scarborough spent the next week transferring the coins to another "secure" location, this time making sure he wasn't followed.

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a old post but this treasure has a lot of validity. Those gold coins and slugs never showed up anywhere besides some Indian graves and games. He also had accumulated quite a bit of gold coins and cash according to another story not just the slugs. Those slugs go for over $35g each now at auction. He was also known to hide his cash. A story goes he had $5000 in cash just hanging in a bag in his horse tac room that was found by his farm hand. $5000 in 1855 was a LOT of money. You could buy a ship and captain with that much back then. Just hanging there.

This will be the treasure I pursue next. After going through some books I have a couple ideas. I am looking for as much info as I can on this captain and any stories. The sons searched for years for the fathers treasures and they did not believe in inheritance all the time, kinda make your own way attitude. I think that's the Indian wife talking cause Indians did not inherit money back then. A lot of people searched but no slugs ever showed up and I believe he melted the heavier ones as said before. Now where would a guy hide a pile of gold he accumulated? His son also found his 1st hiding spot so he had to relocate the treasure which says he does have one then.

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a old post but this treasure has a lot of validity. Those gold coins and slugs never showed up anywhere besides some Indian graves and games. He also had accumulated quite a bit of gold coins and cash according to another story not just the slugs. Those slugs go for over $35g each now at auction. He was also known to hide his cash. A story goes he had $5000 in cash just hanging in a bag in his horse tac room that was found by his farm hand. $5000 in 1855 was a LOT of money. You could buy a ship and captain with that much back then. Just hanging there.

This will be the treasure I pursue next. After going through some books I have a couple ideas. I am looking for as much info as I can on this captain and any stories. The sons searched for years for the fathers treasures and they did not believe in inheritance all the time, kinda make your own way attitude. I think that's the Indian wife talking cause Indians did not inherit money back then. A lot of people searched but no slugs ever showed up and I believe he melted the heavier ones as said before. Now where would a guy hide a pile of gold he accumulated? His son also found his 1st hiding spot so he had to relocate the treasure which says he does have one then.

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My wife is a Chinook Indian..her lineage is traced right back to Chief Comcomly, thru Mary Ducheney, the one that found the gold coin on Scarborough Hill. Mary and her husband, Roque, bought the entire Hill from the estate of the Captain after his death. Roque was a colorful character and he died in a Fish War in 1860. He is buried on top of Scarborough Hill, along side of the Captain, I believe. There is a Family story that claims there was once a small burial plot up on top, but you won't find it. Why?? Because Grandma Mary sold the Hill to the U.S. Government for the sum of $3000, so that they could build Ft. Columbia...for years and years it was off limits to the general public until it was given or sold to the State of Washington, and they made a State Park out of it. I believe that the Captain's Gold is buried up there with him.
Once again, Family History has it that the gold was deposited 6 feet down at the head of the grave, prior to his death. By either the Captain himself or a trusted partner. The joke is that the Captain "had a golden headstone, unlike any other.."

And like all Family Stories, it may be all a story, but it certainly explains why none of the gold ever really showed up.

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link that I found:

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

Because Chief Comcomly died in 1830's of the intermittent fever, that means that he did not live long enough to see his daughter marry the Captain..

From the original post #1: I was unaware of the story about the $5000 in cash, found in the tack room...interesting, and it fits...it is said that the Captain always worked for gold, and had a dislike for cash money.

The Chinook considered gold to be of a lesser value than copper, which was their "gold"..placer copper nuggets were found in the stream bed of the Copper River, in Alaska, and were a hot trade item, the jewelry made of this copper was worn by members of the Chinookan Royalty, and it was considered quite valuable.

in the attached photo, you can see that the subject has copper jewelry worn. She can be out alone, harvesting shellfish, in perfect safety, because she is related to the Chief.."royalty"...

Attachments

• nwcah12b-1.jpg
    nwcah12b-1.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Morning--

That was a great find..!!..I read it twice..interesting that they said that one of the Captain's orchards was right where they put "Gun Battery No. 2"..where in the world else (besides your link) could a person ever find that kind of info???

Thank you for posting..

On edit: There ain't no Gun Battery #2--this must mean the second one built. They each have names, like Battery Ord, and etc.

In the old article, it tells of another orchard, this one is higher up the Hill, by the searchlight post area. Might be that one or two old fruit trees are still there..it would be possible to get some starts from these trees..??..living history..

Last edited:

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason you might not be able to find a grave-site:

The trail to the top of Scarborough Hill (at Ft. Columbia) does not go all the way to the top??

http://funbeach.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/FortColumbiaTrails-web.jpg

Notice that on the map, the false summit is enclosed with quotation marks..it is almost like some one did not want anyone up on top??

Strange--no?

Last edited:

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes very strange. is that area a protected site

Yes, because the whole of Ft. Columbia is a State Park, thou shalt not dig..

If you are asking if the very top is a protected site, perhaps both posted and fenced, that I don't know. I have been to Ft. Columbia many times, just never hiked to the top..???..

There exists some satellite/spy photos of Ft. Columbia....on the 'Net....in them, you can drill down right to tree top levels. The trailhead is clearly visible from the parking lot, headed up the Hill. There are some fairly well defined
concrete works just off the trail, and hidden in the woods. It would be worth it to me, just to go there and have a look...

There also exists some YouTube video of Ft. Columbia (two in total) that are sponsored by the Washington State Parks Department..in the first, it shows a little one-second flash of a "construction of the Fort" picture.
In it, you can make out how open the Hill was, prior to construction.
The Indians supposedly burned the Hill-top off annually, leaving a naked knob of green grass open pasture.

If you can find any pre-Fort-construction photos, perhaps one(s) that show the Captain's "fine house", please post them up...

Last edited:

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed to know more about the 400 gold slugs..so I went looking..didn't know they contained 2 1/2 ounces of gold each. So we did the math..400 times 2.5 ounces = 1000 ounces of pure gold.
And just one of them, to a collector, is indeed worth (at least) 32 K dollars..

Family history doesn't say *what* gold coin that GGGG Ducheney found, up on Scarborough Hill, only that she found a gold coin.

Here is a link:

http://www.mariposaresearch.net/MOUNTOPHIR.html

Read in the link about how the U.S. Government required that all Custom fees were to be paid in gold. It appears that Capt. Scarborough took that to heart. Knowing of such things, he, too, always demanded gold.

Last edited:

flowers

Apr 12, 2013
seattle.wa
Detector(s) used
white-mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the slugs is from a shipwrack. yes
if so need to find more about that shipwrack

steady eddie

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't find any old photo's of ft.columbia sorry

Thanks for looking for them, anyway. Probably they are all locked away within the Records of the U.S. Army. I have seen, on the 'Net, early maps of Ft. Columbia, and they are all marked as "Secret", so maybe they are not de-classified as yet?? Photography came along after the Civil War, so they most certainly would have documented such things...

Last edited:

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job guys. I would be willing to kick down a slug for anyone helping find the treasure.

I am looking for a 2 box detector and some time to get acquainted with it, then search. Don't forget you can probably search but just not dig. Lol

I want to try and eliminate the first hiding spot just so we would not be walking over where it WAS

Also we have to stick to FACTS, not possible made up stories. Behind every treasure there are stories and facts. The facts get you to the treasure.

Deepgold

Jan 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In order to bury the gold above his headstone would imply the captain knew where HIS OWN burial site was going to be. Was this a cemetery already? Was this the 1st spot he buried the gold or the 2nd after his son found the cache. Remember he hid it a second time.

Finding that first cache spot could tell us a wealth of info on where to start.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Of course, Chief Concomly was not buried in a tomb in Astoria. After the canoe ceremony, he was buried at Chinookville (Chenook) just west of present day Point Ellice. Point Ellice is the anchor point of the northern end of the Astoria bridge. It is interesting that Meredith Gairdner dug up the Chief's skull and stole it for "scientific reasons" and sent it to England where it was studied and put on display. It was returned by the British to the Chinook people in 1972.

There is no reason to believe that Captain Scarborough's cache of gold slugs was buried anywhere near the Concomly grave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions