Gold in a Buried Lard Bucket

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Mountaineer (Thursday, March 28, 1940)

John M. Miller Dies Tuesday
While standing in front of the fireplace at his home on Evans, Route 1, about eight o’clock Tuesday morning John M. Miller, 69 year old farmer, slumped to the floor and when members of his family reached him he was dead.

A heart attack was given as the cause of his death. He was a well known citizen of that section of the county and was also well known in Ripley and vicinity.
Miller had long been a resident of that community. His wife died four years ago, members of the family said.
Elijah Casto, a neighboor, often told the story of standing on his front porch the morning John Miller died. He always told us that as he looked across toward the Miller Place, early the morning of John Miller's death, he saw what seemed to be a glowing light reflecting from The Miller house at about the time of John Miller's death.

////////////////////////////////////
Miller Homestead located on the Jackson and Mason County Line on WV Route 87. One of the fireside stories I remember was about John Maranda Miller and the front porch of this house. President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued the Gold Recall Act in March of 1933. It was rumored that John Miller decided that he was not going to comply with this recall. It was said that he took a lard bucket, lined it with his paper money making a nest, then added all of his gold pieces to the bucket. Several people saw the bucket so there is some truth to it. (Old family saying "where there is smoke, there is fire). He then took the bucket and buried it. He always told everyone that he could set on the front porch of the old home place and keep an eye on his money. This house, barn and out buildings are gone. The barn was struck by lighting in the mid fities. This happened on a Thursday night. Most of the community was attending prayer meeting at Longview Chuch. There is nothing like the lights going out in the chuch and seeing a big ball of fire hit the big barn on the opposite hill side to put the fear of God in you. Prayer Meetings were very intense and filled with fire and brim stone. Some saw it has a sign that we should change our ways. In a few days things were back to normal. Albert and Amy Miller Sissons owned the farm at that time.

http://www.wvaanne.com/getperson.php?personID=I61&tree=001

Attachments

• Miller.jpg
    Miller.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,395

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone Ever search/Research this story?

Lowryevans

Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know about where the house was. It is only about 2 miles from my house. Back in the summer I got permission from the current land owner (my father-in-law knows him) to detect the area. Some of the older people that live around the area where the house was said years ago some people came in and searched for the gold, but never found it. I have permission to hunt it, I just haven't been up there yet to do it.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love hearing about these types of things. I hope someone finds it Gypsy, & I hope that someone is you. How are you liking MO.We've had some wild storms lately. Hope you pulled through them ok.

thepackrats

Feb 13, 2009
New Creek, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yes I know about where the house was. It is only about 2 miles from my house. Back in the summer I got permission from the current land owner (my father-in-law knows him) to detect the area. Some of the older people that live around the area where the house was said years ago some people came in and searched for the gold, but never found it. I have permission to hunt it, I just haven't been up there yet to do it.

Good luck!

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Lowry, I found this thread just now as I am new to this forum so I thought I would resurrect it. :) You've had a year to search..... Find anything?

1wvhunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Max
Primary Interest:
Other
Me and a buddy got permission from the farm owner in 2022 and the owners of the two farms adjoining each side of the farm in question. We searched all three farms in the vicinity of the farm with presumed hidden Lard Bucket. We found nothing so far except newer coins and junk near where Bucket was presumed to be hidden. We will eventually go back and try different areas as we have been told by current owners that we can come back anytime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread